Windows 10: DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search

Discus and support DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello community, Just got updated to windows 10 1903 and found out that DisableSearchBoxSuggestions will also disable search in task bar. I added the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by R3n3y, Sep 3, 2019.

1. R3n3y Win User

DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search

Hello community,

Just got updated to windows 10 1903 and found out that DisableSearchBoxSuggestions will also disable search in task bar.

I added the below key as i prefer the search history doesn't show in Explorer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "DisableSearchBoxSuggestions"=dword:00000001

Now searching in task bar looks like this

DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search f37fd0ce-62e5-4ef3-9f40-a93ca9c889d8?upload=true.png

DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search e7662287-03b0-42dd-b6ba-dc5fbca6facf?upload=true.png

In windows 10 1809, task-bar search was working fine with the key added.

Is this a new design or is there any fix for this?

Thank you for any help.

:)

R3n3y, Sep 3, 2019

2. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 3, 2019
  3. disable search bar on startup

lacrom,. Thanks for the response. The search bar in question is not on the task bar. It is all the way across the top of the screen. It does not go away when using your suggestion. ...or no matter what else I try. Thanks. Larry

Larry Charles, Sep 3, 2019
  4. DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search

search does not work in task bar. DOES work in File Explorer

Task bar search does not work and I have tried all of the recommended steps. Had to recently reinstall Windows 10 64b (preserved personal data) and the search has not worked since.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thx

John Vacheresse, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search

1. DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task bar search - Similar Threads - DisableSearchBoxSuggestions disables task

2. Search bar in task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  3. Search bar in task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar in task bar: Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the option to deactivate suggestions and activate recent open things, I know it's somewhere because I activated it in the past, but after a recent format I can't find it anymore and I am going nuts! : :...
  4. Task bar search is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar search is not working: In Windows 10 taskbar, the search option is not working, in fact, I am unable to type. I have tried many options to repair it but nothing worked. Please help....
  5. Task bar search is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task bar search is not working: In Windows 10 taskbar, the search option is not working, in fact, I am unable to type. I have tried many options to repair it but nothing worked. Please help....
  6. task bar search issue

in Cortana
    task bar search issue: task bar search is surrounded with blue highlighter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-search-issue/28cd6111-6dee-474b-a915-b47d160064df
  7. Task Bar search feature

in Cortana
    Task Bar search feature: The Cortana feature next to my search box works. But when I attempt to type in the search box, nothing appears. I attempted to fix it through the Task Manager function, by right clicking the search feature and clicking end task. That didn't work. How can I fix the search...
  8. search box on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    search box on task bar: i have no search box on my taskbar and no "show hidden taskbar button" when i right click on the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-task-bar/25f599a6-b4b1-4f2c-b981-a63516008d53
  9. Search on Task Bar Broken

in Cortana
    Search on Task Bar Broken: So I see this is becoming a common problem, and I can safely say I've tried almost everything to fix it. The problem is I can type into the search on the task bar, but all that I see is a grey box with no results, which makes finding my fav programs very tough indeed....
  10. Restoring search bar in task bar.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restoring search bar in task bar.: This option does not present itself: Right click the taskbar>Cortana>Show search box I can however, click the windows icon button and start typing to bring the search box up. However, I would like for it to come up on the task bar because that's what it does at work, and I...