Windows 10: Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I disable the Ctrl+D hotkey (that deletes files) in Windows Explorer? I'm specifically looking for a solution that does not involve 3rd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Flummox, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Flummox Win User

Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer

How can I disable the Ctrl+D hotkey (that deletes files) in Windows Explorer?

I'm specifically looking for a solution that does not involve 3rd party software; so preferably something like Group Policy, or a Registry key, or some other built-in method.

:)

Flummox, Jun 29, 2017
  2. Julie Ram Win User

How to disable hot keys?

Hi,

Hot keys usually provides shortcut access to the Start button or other Windows functions. Sometimes we want to disable some of them if they interfere with us. To disable hotkeys in Windows 10, you may follow the steps below:

• Type gpedit in the Search and then click Edit group policy. (This will open
      Local Group Policy Editor).
    • Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer. In the right-side pane, look for Turn off Windows + X hotkeys and double click on it.
    • Check Disabled and click OK.
    • Restart the computer to make the settings take effect.

Do get back to us if you need further assistance.

Julie Ram, Jun 29, 2017
  3. How to disable hotkeys in Lenovo Ideapad MIIX?

Hi i have got a Lenovo Ideapad MIIX and im having some problems with th hotkeys on it because of my touchscreen the arrows have a hotkey to volume up and brightness i need to disable that for gaming reasons and i cant i have tryd evry thing but it doenst
    work if i press fn and f1 using the arrows at the same time the volume will go up how can i disable this type of hotkeys?

Original title: windows 10 hotkeys

ricardoprimor, Jun 29, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

It has always involved third party software like Key Tweak. You can download it from majorgeeks.com

bro67, Jun 29, 2017
  5. Hydrate Win User
    I can provide you with a Windows registry script that will disable all Windows hotkeys, without using third party software.

Would you be interested in that?

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Hydrate I would post it, unless there is a tutorial with the info already. Not the first time that someone has asked for how to change hard assignments. The majority of the shortcuts that Microsoft puts into their products, the average user does not even use.

bro67, Jun 29, 2017
  7. Flummox Win User
    Thank you all for your replies.

For clarity, I should have perhaps elaborated a little more on what I am trying to achieve.

I use AutoHotkey to allow all sorts of custom key combos and actions to be run. One of the hotkeys that I have created is designed to deselect any selected files in Explorer (sort of the opposite of Ctrl + A). I assigned Ctrl + D (for de-select) to this action because it's the same hotkey that's used to deselect a selection in Photoshop, and I've been using that for so long that it's really engrained in me, so it just made sense for me to go with the same hotkey for deselecting in Explorer.

I've been happily using this for a couple of years, and all is well ...... provided that Autohotkey is running! However, if AutoHotkey is not running then Ctrl+D changes back to delete.

I don't clutter my system tray with icons for AutoHotkey (because once the script is edited, it just does it's thing and doesn't need to be interacted with via GUI) so it's not immediately apparent if it is not loaded. Also, whenever I deliberately unload the script (to work on new scripts) or if I'm starting Windows with HKCU & HKLM run commands temporarily disabled for testing, then it's easy to forget that my frequently used hotkey has suddenly changed function and it will now delete files instead of just unselecting them.

So I was hoping to find solution that does not rely on startup shortcuts or 'run' registry keys; something that essentially can't be bypassed easily, but at the same time which will not completely disable that key combo (because I still need to use it in Photoshop and other apps).

So when I said "no 3rd party" it wasn't about me wanting to set the restriction directly just for the hell of it, what I meant was I didn't want to have to run yet another piece of software every time because that would just duplicate the function of AutoHotkey, and it would be prone to the same issue of silently reverting the hotkey to default if it didn't run for some reason.

The option that Bro67 mentioned is a 3rd party software, but it just acts as a font end to the Registry (as far as I can tell) so this might do the trick, unless it permanently maps the hotkey for all applications.

Flummox, Jun 29, 2017
  8. Hydrate Win User

Only one way to do this is to try it out for yourself or read the feature list of the 3rd paty software Bro suggested.

Hydrate, Jun 29, 2017
  9. Flummox Win User
    I have now had time to read through the manual for KeyTweak and it is completely unsuitable. It's a program for disabling / remapping keyboard keys globally (for all applications and all users), rather than disabling a "hotkey" combination within a specific application.

If Microsoft had used just the Winkey as part of this hotkey assignment then it would have been a lot easier to deal with. However, the fact that they've used the Ctrl key means that I obviously can't block that particular key globally (because I wouldn't even be able to copy and paste, never mind continuing to use Ctrl + D in Photoshop as stated as a requirement in my original post).

Anyway, I think I have come up with my own solution (although I've not had time to test it out yet).

I will use AutoHotkey to create a script to block Ctrl + D only when that combination is pressed in Explorer (which is what I have already) but I will put this in its own script by itself. Then, instead of running it as a script, I'll compile it into a executable. This would mean that it would not be affected if I shut down all running AutoHotkey scripts while testing.

To go one step further and ensure that it can't be easily disabled from running at startup (by editing 'run' Registry keys, or by using MSconfig) I will take the compiled .exe and run it as a background system Service (where it cannot easily be disabled or killed using Task Manager).

That should pretty much ensure that I can rely on it being there, regardless of what I'm doing on the computer.

Flummox, Jun 30, 2017
  10. Hydrate Win User
    You came up with your own intelligent solution. You didn't need us *Wink

Well, it was hard for me to understand why you needed this when you seemed to have already solved the problem early with AHK.

Hydrate, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling a hotkey in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Disabling hotkey Explorer

2. change/disable sound hotkeys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change/disable sound hotkeys: Since the new update, every time i click the button C on my keyboard, it mutes all sound. when i click X it lowers the volume. is there anything i can do to fix this issue, there isnt anything online....
  3. Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 11: Windows uses the hyper =alt+shift+ctrl+win key in several shortcuts. hyper+l for example opens a browser to the linkedin website. hyper+o opens ms outlook. hyper+t opens ms teams. I intend to use these shortcuts for other purposes. How do I disable windows from using the...
  4. Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 11

Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 11: Windows uses the hyper =alt+shift+ctrl+win key in several shortcuts. hyper+l for example opens a browser to the linkedin website. hyper+o opens ms outlook. hyper+t opens ms teams. I intend to use these shortcuts for other purposes. How do I disable windows from using the...
  5. Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 10: I recently purchased a keyboard that comes with a 'hyper' key, which counts as a combination of alt+shift+ctrl+win and is used as a modifier key. Unfortunately, Windows seems to think that's the key combination to open Office, and even though I don't have Office installed on...
  6. Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 10

Disabling the Office hotkey in Windows 10: I recently purchased a keyboard that comes with a 'hyper' key, which counts as a combination of alt+shift+ctrl+win and is used as a modifier key. Unfortunately, Windows seems to think that's the key combination to open Office, and even though I don't have Office installed on...
  7. Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?: Basically I set up some global hotkeys for my app such as WinKey+Home/End/-/+, and Function keys, but Windows steals the WinKey+Home/End/+ hotkeys and doesn't let me app to fire its own actions. I can see what Windows is doing with these global hotkeys but is there a way to...
  8. Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?

Is there a way to disable global Windows hotkeys?: Basically I set up some global hotkeys for my app such as WinKey+Home/End/-/+, and Function keys, but Windows steals the WinKey+Home/End/+ hotkeys and doesn't let me app to fire its own actions. I can see what Windows is doing with these global hotkeys but is there a way to...
  9. Disable selective hotkey combinations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable selective hotkey combinations: There are a huge number of Windows hotkey combinations. Some are incredibly useful. Many are totally useless. Some are actively user-hostile. The existence of many of these does not take into account users with certain disabilities such as myself who end up typing...
  10. disable / modify win hotkeys

in Windows 10 Support
    disable / modify win hotkeys: hello, i don't want to use to built-in windows key hotkeys such as win+D, win+S etc. how can i modify them or disable them altogether? 18090