Windows 10: Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

Discus and support Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a lenovo laptop and don't see the point of modern sleep, though I'm hesitant to disable it because I've read that enabling S3 sleep could cause... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fietfeit, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

I have a lenovo laptop and don't see the point of modern sleep, though I'm hesitant to disable it because I've read that enabling S3 sleep could cause freezing/problems and that it's still faster at waking instantly (or does this not matter with an SSD?).

When the computer starts up again, it fetches new emails anyway, so the email updating stuff seems useless to me. *However*, I do like the idea of network connections remaining open, maybe to prevent browser sessions from expiring and messaging apps from having to reconnect, etc., so I haven't set "Network connection" to 'Never' in Power & Sleep settings. Lmk if I'm off on that, please.

Is there any way to selectively disable apps for this? I remember seeing a setting that allows either only system apps to run during modern sleep or to follow 'background apps' rules, but can't find it now.

My battery went completely dead after only 24 hours in Modern Standby, so this is frustrating, and any other tips on this topic/how to play with Modern Sleep settings are welcome.

submitted by /u/fietfeit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/fietfeit, Jan 3, 2021
  2. Keager Win User

Battery drains while on sleep mode.

even mine has a slow battery drain, using Win 8.1. Even when powered off, not in sleep or hibernate, but off. It still uses the battery to keep the clock going.
    Turn off fast start, as suggested, hibernate over sleep as it uses less power, and if you aren't going to use it for several hours, shut it off.

Keager, Jan 3, 2021
  3. mike302 Win User
    Various Sleep / ModernStandby Issues, Related to Battery Drain

OK so deactivate "Sleep" as an option, and always use hibernate? - - for lid Close, or Power Button press.

If that works, great, and I'll never see this problem recur. Why did none of the timings work though? Why did it go to hibernate at 90 min instead of 120min; then why did it stay in Modern Standby (Sleep) for 18h instead of eventually hibernating? I feel like the sleep (Modern Standby) mode would be acceptable if it just did as it has been setup to do: Hibernate after a short period in Modern Standby.

It's insane that such a standard Windows feature (Sleep) is mucking up this computer and so many others... It's not like a hidden feature, activated through a registry edit...

The connected standby is indeed disabled by way of that setting I showed (in line with Option 1 in the tutorial link you shared). I only question it because something turned the laptop back on after it turned off, at just after 1AM, then put it into Modern Standby moments later.

mike302, Jan 3, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

Various Sleep / ModernStandby Issues, Related to Battery Drain

If you run this comamnd
    Code:
    you will see that your computer does not support normal sleep [S3 Sleep].
    - Your attempt to send it to sleep only sends it to "ModernStandby", which is a mileadingly named state that ought to be called "ModernIdle", and the computer was going to do that anyway so your Power options achieve nothing.
    - You only really have a choice of on/hibernate/off.

Even a computer that attempts to be power-efficient drains it battery on idle [whether it's an older computer with conventional power states or a new one with 'ModernStandby']. It does not drain quite as fast as it does in use yet with the display off but there is not much in it.

As for your comment about network connections, the powercfg -a command will tell you what its current setting really is. You can alter that in
    Enable or Disable Network Connectivity in Modern Standby - TenForumsTutorials

In short, 'ModernStandby' is not the dog's bollocks. It is merely bollocks.

Denis

Try3, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

1. Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast) - Similar Threads - Disabling apps updating

2. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  3. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  4. windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled: yeah the title says it all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-battery-drain-in-sleep-mode-with-connected/a596d731-af7e-4d53-a267-0c811f8a6787
  5. windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled

windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled: yeah the title says it all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-battery-drain-in-sleep-mode-with-connected/a596d731-af7e-4d53-a267-0c811f8a6787
  6. Battery draining generally and during sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery draining generally and during sleep: I have Huawei matebook book 14 i7 for 2 months nowThe laptop battery generally is draining more rapidly than it was before I could estimate that the battery drains after 6 hours only of activity with no video playback and it used to last longer than that, also the battery...
  7. Battery draining generally and during sleep

Battery draining generally and during sleep: I have Huawei matebook book 14 i7 for 2 months nowThe laptop battery generally is draining more rapidly than it was before I could estimate that the battery drains after 6 hours only of activity with no video playback and it used to last longer than that, also the battery...
  8. Battery drain during sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drain during sleep: Hello, I have a problem with my Microsoft Surface Pro 7 running on Windows 10 Home when closing the lid putting it in sleep mode, not hibernation. The problem seems to mainly appear after having it connected to an HDMI device/beamer. The laptop experiences a significant...
  9. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby): For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and...
  10. Battery drain during sleep

Battery drain during sleep: I have a first gen Microsoft Surface Laptop, with the Core i5 and 8gb RAM. When I close the lid, putting it into sleep mode, the battery still drains quite a lot. For example, if I leave it in sleep over night, the battery can easily go down by 30% or more. During use, the...