Windows 10: Disabling automatic audio switching and combine speakers & headphones

Discus and support Disabling automatic audio switching and combine speakers & headphones in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my HP Elite 7300 MT with upgraded graphics to a GTX 560TI, I'm running into a pretty specific problem. I have my audio setup connected to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by computer1up, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Disabling automatic audio switching and combine speakers & headphones

On my HP Elite 7300 MT with upgraded graphics to a GTX 560TI, I'm running into a pretty specific problem.

I have my audio setup connected to my computer via the back green jack port, but as my system is quite aged (home cinema receiver from the 80's) it takes quite some power and gets quite hot, so I leave it off when I don't want to listen to music. Also, I've got my HDTV connected to DVI port of the 560TI (anyone wondering, yes some cards actually support sound over DVI) since my other HDMI port on it is broken.

When I disconnect my headphones from the front stereo jack when my audio system is off, it automatically switches to the HDTV as a sound output. This is annoying, as I don't always (but sometimes I DO) use the speakers in the TV, and because it is turned off. But now comes the problem, when I plug my headphones back in, it doesn't automatically switch back to the headphones. That is quite annoying, which means I have to change my default playback device every time I connect my headphones.

On my previous Windows 10 box, my Mac Pro 1.1, this problem never occurred to me.
    Does anyone know how to quickly fix this? I would have found out the problem myself, that was, if I had that much time, however with school starting next Monday AND having a lot of other computer projects going on, I can't afford to spend time with this too much.

Oh, and another question: I want to combine my front and rear green jack outputs, as I have my speakers turned off when listening to headphones anyway, which means I can turn on my speakers and nothing needs to switch on the computer in order to listen through my speakers.

:)

computer1up, Aug 27, 2015

2. Windows 10 not switching between headphones and speakers

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and I'm having an issue with my audio. When I used Windows 7, plugging in my headphones to the 3.5mm audio jack on my laptop would automatically switch the audio from my speakers to the headphones. Now,
    using Windows 10, I have to manually open the audio settings and switch the default output from my speakers to my headphones whenever I want to use them. What's changed? Is there a way to get Windows 10 to automatically switch audio output when I plug in my
    headphones?

TheMopkins, Aug 27, 2015
  3. NN922 Win User
    After updating to windows 10, the audio is messed up.

I am also having this problem. I tried your recommended solution but my driver is the latest version. My problem persists and so when I want to switch between speakers and headphones I have to disable one & make the other the default device. In Windows
    7 audio automatically made the switch and I didn't have to manually do it every single time. Please advise.

NN922, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

Disabling automatic audio switching and combine speakers & headphones

1. Disabling automatic audio switching and combine speakers & headphones - Similar Threads - Disabling automatic audio

2. Help with Sound not switching automatically from laptop speakers to headphones?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Sound not switching automatically from laptop speakers to headphones?: Hi! So my new laptop, an Acer Aspire3, doesn't switch audio from playing out of the speakers to headphones automatically. I have to click on a pop-up from Realtek Audio Console to enable the switch instead. I am unaware if it is possible to make the switch manually from...
  3. Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap: Got my self a new computer case yesterday and plugged in my old components and everything went fine. But now when im switching between my speakers and headphones the audio stays on just my headphones until i open a new program then it plays on my speakers and vice versa....
  4. Audio doesn't automatically switch between headphones and laptop speaker output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio doesn't automatically switch between headphones and laptop speaker output: Not sure when or why this happened, but my Surface Laptop running Windows 10 no longer automatically switches between audio output sources headphones and built-in Surface Laptop speakers. If I have sound playing and no headphones plugged in, the sound will continue to play...
  5. Headphones disabling without disabling speakers

Headphones disabling without disabling speakers: Hi, I have a dell latitude 3189 with windows 10 on it. I wanted to ask something. My headphone jack is stuck in the headphone port. Its pretty annoying because my laptop detects the little piece of the headphone jack. Can disable my headphones without disabling my speakers?...
  6. Audio In Headphones and Speakers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio In Headphones and Speakers: For some reason, some sound is coming out of my speakers and I am hearing some sound in my headphones. For example, while chatting to a friend on discord, I can hear them perfectly find through my headphones, but then I booted up A Hat In Time. I still hear them through my...
  7. sound from speakers does not switches automatically to headphones

sound from speakers does not switches automatically to headphones: sound from speakers does not switches automatically to headphones. To listen via headphones I have to restart my system or connect my headphone before power on the machine...
  8. Win10 won't switch automatically between speakers and headphones

Win10 won't switch automatically between speakers and headphones: After a forced upgrade by Windows 10 *Mad which I tried for months to avoid, windows updater has succeeded to snick-in and install without my consent a new Win10 version. As expected the system has been destabilized and the damages until now are: - When I plug in and out the...
  9. VIA HD Audio doesn't switch between speakers/headphones

VIA HD Audio doesn't switch between speakers/headphones: This is just a small problem, but pretty annoying one. I recently updated to Win 10, and the first thing I noticed was that the sound settings were weird. Both speakers and headphone sounds work perfectly fine, but they don't automatically switch when I plug/unplug the...
  10. Automatically switch from headphones to speakers

Automatically switch from headphones to speakers: In windows 7, when headphones were plugged into the jack on the front of the machine it would automatically switch to the headphones and mute the speakers. If you unplugged them, it would enable the speakers. How would I go about enabling this on Windows 10? 17425