Windows 10: Disabling build-in microphone to use notebook mic

Discus and support Disabling build-in microphone to use notebook mic in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently bought Lenovo legion Y540-15IRH which got only one 3,5mm jack connector. I wanted to use my apple earpods but due to damaged build-in mic i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sindinair, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Sindinair Win User

Disabling build-in microphone to use notebook mic

I recently bought Lenovo legion Y540-15IRH which got only one 3,5mm jack connector. I wanted to use my apple earpods but due to damaged build-in mic i need to use laptop microphone. Unfortunately, after pluging in, laptop is trying to use earpods microphone that is not recording any sound and any try to set laptop mic failed because windows is showing only laptop mic should be working. On my old laptop there was option in realtek sound manager to separate mic and sound but this option is missing here.

Is there any way to force laptop use its own microphone and not damaged one from earpods?

:)

Sindinair, Feb 17, 2020
  2. hellrazor Win User

Easy enable/disable microphone?

My bro just got a microphone and I was wondering if there's an easy way to enable or disable it. I know you can right click on the volume icon, click on select recording devices then select the microphone, then click properties, then click on levels, and mute it - but that's just way too many steps, I'm looking for a more obvious and much easier way to do it.

hellrazor, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Easy enable/disable microphone?

Hmmm... wonder if windows has a keyboard shortcut to do that, will research and get back.

There are quite a few keyboards out there that have volume control and mute right at your fingertips.

Edit: check this out "NirCmd" - look at the link for available arguments, there should be one for mic volume

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-hotkey-to-mute-the-system-volume-in-windows/

Edit2: it's "changesysvolume" - use "microphone" as the second argument - look it up on the NirCmd refernce page.

Edit3: Lookie here, 1st answer has a .bat way to do it. Super key to pause, mute mic, and mute speakers in windows

Sasqui, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Disabling build-in microphone to use notebook mic - Similar Threads - Disabling build microphone

2. Microphone Array not working after using external mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone Array not working after using external mic: Hi!So I have HD Webcam from Logitech, there is no problem when I used it beforeBut suddenly when I plugged my webcame there is no notification or sound when device is connectedThen when I unplugged it, still no notification. AND suddenly I can't use my Default Microphone...
  3. How to use headset Microphone Instead of laptop built In Mic

How to use headset Microphone Instead of laptop built In Mic: Hi, I have a Acer Aspire 5 A514-52K, Recently I got a headset that uses 3.5 mm Jack I plugged my headset in and It asked " What device did you plug In" I accidently clicked on headphones Instead of "headset" , For months I thought my mic on my headset was working In good...
  4. Laptop using built-in microphone instead of earphone mic

Laptop using built-in microphone instead of earphone mic: I'm having a recent issue after I reset my laptop. After I reset my laptop, it started to use my laptop's built-in microphone instead of the microphone on my earphones. I have tried many possible solutions such as re-installing my audio drivers but that didn't work. For added...
  5. microphone is disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    microphone is disabled: I have no audio in website meetings. I cannot speak with COrtana. She says my microphone is disabled and to enable it in sound settings. I did this but still have not audio. People can hear me, I cannot hear them. Can anyone help....
  6. Microphone USB Mic

Microphone USB Mic: Hello, I have a FiFine USB Microphone, the T669 to be specific, and I have everything set up but when I connected it to my computer, it says, "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed". I went on YouTube and tried everything I saw on there and nothing worked, I...
  7. Built-in microphone not working after using headset mic

Built-in microphone not working after using headset mic: When using a Turtle Beach headset for zoom calls the headset mic works fine, however when I unplug the headset the built-in laptop mic no longer works in zoom or other apps. In Windows sound settings the input bar moves to indicate it's picking up sound. Microphone privacy is...
  8. Microphone is not working for HP dv6 notebook -

Microphone is not working for HP dv6 notebook -: Microphone is not working in my HP dv6 Notebook with Win10 OS. Windows Audio End Point is not running. Problem with loading the driver. Have uninstalled and reinstalled with no success. Any help much appreciated>...
  9. Microphone Disabled?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microphone Disabled?: **POSTED UNDER SECURITY & PRIVACY BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE MIC PERMISSIONS ARE LOCATED, IT IS NOT A SOUND ISSUE** Up until 7 hours ago I had headphones with a faulty mic. To prevent my mic from turning its self of unprompted, a few months ago I completely disabled my microphone...
  10. Microphone issue:Games crashing or not working properly when using mic

Microphone issue:Games crashing or not working properly when using mic: (Firstly, i apologize for my poor english, but i will do my best.) This week i began having an issue while using my microphone in online games, more specifically, Dota 2 and Overwatch. Dota(and Steam) crashes when i press my microphone key binding, and Overwatch doesn't...