Windows 10: Disabling Cortana, for real.

Discus and support Disabling Cortana, for real. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; No hate posts please. The idea of Cortana is great. Especially from a nerdy "my computer is a lady and can talk to me" standpoint. I dig that. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sakuro, Jul 30, 2015.

1. sakuro Win User

Disabling Cortana, for real.

No hate posts please. The idea of Cortana is great. Especially from a nerdy "my computer is a lady and can talk to me" standpoint. I dig that. But realistically, I'm not going to make use of Cortana's awesomeness, and I know it. So, I want to stop Cortana from taking up my system resources if I can.

So far I have clicked the little setting "gear" symbol and turned off "Search Online" and "Cortana can give suggestions, alerts, etc.". Those were the only two options under settings. I'm fine with the search bar itself being on my task bar, so I haven't hidden it. Though I tried doing that to see if it made a difference. Still, when I check Task Manager Cortana is still listed using up memory.

Any ideas how to stop that?

:)

sakuro, Jul 30, 2015

2. How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 Preview

I don't know what all the fuss is about - just install Avast free.

Defender is disabled, no popups - no updates for defender in WIn update (WUAPP)

Add Classic shell or Start 10, disable the ridiculous cortana thing, you now have a real search without searching the internet, a real start menu, a real AV, - oh, of course, use Firefox and get rid of spartan to have a real browser, use Ad blocker plus
    also with Firefox.

Chose auto logon (local account!) disable the lockscreen completely - disable all metro apps and uninstall all that you can.

Dont use onedrive.

MOST of the malware and adware is now gone.

It is reasonable now, but win 7 is still far better.

FeelTheForceLuke, Jul 30, 2015
  3. When is the official release date of Cortana for mexico

Original Title: cortana

when is the oficial reales date of cortana for mexico.....it was anaunced to be reales after 2016

HectorCorona001, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. sakuro Win User
    Thank you for the response Brink. I have done both of those things. Cortana is still listed in Task Manager as using up memory.

sakuro, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, restart the computer to see if it still is afterwards.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  7. sakuro Win User
    There was no change after restarting. Cortana still shows up in Task Manager under "Background Processes" and continues to use up resources despite all those things being off.

sakuro, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

This would be for the search feature then since Cortana is used for search as well..

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  9. sakuro Win User
    That makes some sense. But isn't 23+ MB a bit much for a search feature?

sakuro, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You would think it would be, but when comparing to other processes, it's not so much these days.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  11. You can look into disabling Windows Search and Cortana, not sure if if its possible or if you would like the results. It's best to deal with the 23MB RAM usage. Mine's much higher and I've also disabled Cortana from the Cortana Search Settings.

nosecureboot, Jul 30, 2015
  12. So this appears to destabilize the OS in minor ways, but most likely in additionally messed up ways that won't be noticeable until you go to use a different feature down the line. Fun experiment anyway so...

Get Revo Uninstaller Pro trial
    Navigate to C:\windows\systemapps and look for the Cortana folder
    Right click the Cortana folder and choose Uninstall with Revo Uninstaller.
    When it finds leftover registry entries, select all and delete. Then reboot.
    You may need to run that twice, but it washes it out of task manager and completely kills search/typing into the start menu.
    Then you hide the Search bar and Win10 starts looking like a different beast.

Disabling Cortana, for real. [​IMG]

I'm tweeting all my crazy Win10 adventures Twitter. Alles, was gerade los ist.

LetsWindows10, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Disabling Cortana, for real.

Does any Windows Search or Indexing work with this method? Like in Explorer, etc. Thanks.

nosecureboot, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    Go into services and disable windows search. I do not use it or Cortana. I do not have a mic so it would not help me.

15. Gary Win User
    Wise put out a search program that is great called Wise JetSearch
    just do a Google search for it.

Thema:

1. Disabling Cortana, for real. - Similar Threads - Disabling Cortana real

2. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: Unless Microsoft can provide the kind of user interface that enables folks to STOP Cortana and STOP updating Defaults, it will be the last time I purchase a system with Windows; I will move to the superior OSes of some version of Linux. You folks should be ashamed and you...
  3. Disable Cortana

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana: Cortana has taken over my laptop and I can not do anything. I need this pathetic product disabled or removed. Please advise how I do this this a Windows 10 Home version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/a7ec5941-7d8a-4721-a6e6-6edc9aabda4c
  4. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how do i completely disable cortana it is impacting gaming performance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/15b8d1d0-32ed-4a18-891b-86b51d1b151b
  5. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana in WIndows 10? I don't use it. When I click on "end task" in the task manager, it does NOT stay off. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/1e6d20dd-06a1-4365-86cb-d11a28c89742
  6. Disable Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana. I have unchecked everything in settings but the darn thing carries on to interrupt! Win 10 Home version 1903. Simple and detailed instructions please. 161565
  7. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  8. Disabling Cortana

in Cortana
    Disabling Cortana: Until today, my taskbar "search box" did not use Cortana. Sometime today, perhaps following an update, it is using Cortana and I have not been able to figure out how to disable it. . I want the search box which previously was delivering local results. . So I would like to...
  9. Disable Cortana

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana: I need to disable Cortana from my windows 10 pro PC since it does not really give me privacy anyone could perform searches with their voice. How could he do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/82455830-801f-4b5c-b273-2dad353e30b6"
  10. Disable Cortana??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467