Windows 10: Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree?

Discus and support Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Assume I disable real-time protection of Windows defender. To be sure: This does NOT mean that I disable Defender completely. I can still use it to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pstein, Sep 27, 2019.

1. pstein Win User

Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree?

Assume I disable real-time protection of Windows defender.

To be sure: This does NOT mean that I disable Defender completely.
    I can still use it to scan a dir tree or even a whole partition on demand (e.g. by context menu).

Correct?

Peter

:)

pstein, Sep 27, 2019
  2. David Haz Win User

Defender will only do periodic scanning, no real time protection

Hello,

This issue may happen if other security software, such as antivirus, anti-spyware, or anti-malware programs, are fully or partially installed on the computer. Windows Defender automatically turns off if you install another antivirus app.

Let us uncheck security messages for Virus Protection and Spyware, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + X, then select Control Panel.
    • Click on Security and Maintenance.
    • Click the Change Security and Maintenance Settings.
    • Uncheck Spyware and unwanted software protection and Virus Protection.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the device for the changes to take effect.
    After the device restarted, make a full system scan using Windows defender.

To turn on real-time protection, do the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security > Windows Defender.
    • Turn on Real-time protection.

Update us on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Gaia Win User
    Windows Defender: Disable real time; keep scheduled and on demand scanning

I just upgraded to Win 10 (RTM build). I have disabled the built in AV's (Defender) real time protection because I do not run it, never did and have never gotten a virus (and I've had a computer for 30 years).

I was able to disable real time scans by turning on the Group Policy's Disable Defender Policy. But this disables the application entirely. Is it possible to use this profile (which I used with Win 7's Security Essentials) with Win10 Defender:

• Real time scan off
    • Scheduled scans (2AM) active
    • On demand (shell integration right
      click) scans active

?

Or do I have to install a 3rd party scanner? I already run MBAM Premium, MBAE and EMET (those are protecting in real time, as their impact on performance is minimum), but I would really like to avoid a 3rd party AV.

TIA

4. RyanSisk Win User

Windows Defender "Real Time Protection" will not disable

I cannot disable "Real Time Protection" in windows defender on Win 10 Creator Edition.

I have a 3rd party security software suite from ESET with real time protection so I want to disable the one in Defender. I try and click the slider to "Off" but it immediately bounces back without ever going to off and remains in the "On" position. I have
    disabled the antivirus software of windows defender in the registry but the real time defender toggle does not budge.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a solution?

RyanSisk, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Disabling Defender real-time protection let me still scan folder tree? - Similar Threads - Disabling Defender real

2. Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?: Is it safe to disable Real Time protection in Windows Defender if I ensure to manually scan any downloaded files before using them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-disable-windows-defenders-real-time/ea1a4bc5-014f-4f71-a99a-2ae6211ad0a9
  3. Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to disable Windows Defender's Real-time protection?: Is it safe to disable Real Time protection in Windows Defender if I ensure to manually scan any downloaded files before using them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-disable-windows-defenders-real-time/ea1a4bc5-014f-4f71-a99a-2ae6211ad0a9
  4. Real-time protection disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Real-time protection disabled: Split from this thread. I was used a nice window 10 defender. but right now it disabled the real time protection as below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/real-time-protection-disabled/f0398bc1-7190-4a49-8e38-39842af00a91
  5. How to disable windows defender/real time protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable windows defender/real time protection: Im on windows 10 home edition and this shit keeps bugging me and yes I know the risks etc. I know on the pro you can go and disable it pretty easy so I was wondering if there is a method for people on the home submitted by /u/MidnightEmojis [link] [comments]...
  6. Real Time protection disabled

Real Time protection disabled: Real Time protection disabled and cannot be enable from Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/real-time-protection-disabled/4f7aa9c1-eb51-492b-8531-a008a84d523a
  7. Defender: Real Time Protection:

Defender: Real Time Protection:: I just installed the latest Build of Windows 10 . I get this notification in yellow text This setting is managed by your Administrator above the real time protection on Off button and it has been turned on but greyed out. I am not able to disable it. Have scanned it with...
  8. Unable to to Disable Defender Real Time Protection

Unable to to Disable Defender Real Time Protection: Hi I installed the April 2018 Win 10 Update today which has resulted in my CPU constantly working 15% higher due to the Antimalware Service Executable. I’ve tried to disable Defender as suggested by Microsoft but its instruction was to go to Settings / Update & Security /...
  9. Disable real-time protection.

Disable real-time protection.: I've only had Windows 10 for a few days and it's already annoyed me more than XP and Vista ever have combined. Right now my problem is the damn thing keeps enabling real-time protection for no apparent reason. I'm confused, was this software developed by primates by any...
  10. Disable the real-time protection of Windows Defender

Disable the real-time protection of Windows Defender: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, I noticed that if I disable the real-time protection of Windows Defender, when I reboot the system, this protection comes back on automatically. Why? So, how do I prevent this? Thanks Bye 33201

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender not letting me scan