Windows 10: Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely

Discus and support Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Hope you guys can help. When I go to Start -> Power -> Shut down, it displays the "Shutting down..." window, then the screen goes black,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davidspivak, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely

Hi,

Hope you guys can help.

When I go to Start -> Power -> Shut down, it displays the "Shutting down..." window, then the screen goes black, but the laptop won't shut down completely. That is, the WiFi, Bluetooth and Power (light bulb) indicators are still on (and the battery indicator too if plugged), and I have to force (power button long press) the laptop to shut down. I can also shutdown the WiFi and Bluetooth devices using the keyboard at this stage (with FN button). And if I keep the laptop this way long enough (unplugged), my battery will be completely drained.

I recently disabled Hibernation (cmd admin -> powercfg/h off) so I suspected it to be the culprit. So I enabled hibernation again (cmd admin -> powercfg/h off) and my laptop was shutting down as it should. I then disabled hibernation again and the problem came back. I also figured it might be something to do with my power plan so I reset it (Power options -> Change plan settings -> Restore default settings for this plan), but it didn't help.

I would like to disable hibernation and be able to shut down properly. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    David

:)

davidspivak, Dec 7, 2015

2. Computer Stuck Hibernating

I have a Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite. When I shut down my laptop, it doesn't completely shut down but instead finishes by going into hibernation. Restart sometimes shuts the laptop down instead of restarting. When it goes into hibernation, mouse and keys
    and power button don't wake it up. I tried shutting off hibernation entirely with power settings and command prompt, but that didn't help. Turning on a screen saver helped it not go into hibernation when I left it for a minute. Help?

SherwoodWriter, Dec 7, 2015
  3. ConiGL Win User
    ConiGL, Dec 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2015
  5. Thank you but I already had Fast Startup disabled. I tried the .bat file method in the link you provided to be on the safe side. It didn't work.

davidspivak, Dec 7, 2015
  6. allanpm Win User
    I'm getting the same problem, never had the problem before with window 8.1

allanpm, Dec 7, 2015
  7. Well I got it fixed. I read somewhere you should disconnect the CMOS battery to get this fixed, so I did that. I also disconnected and reconnected any cable I could see just to make sure. Now with hibernation either enabled or disabled, my laptop will shut down completely.

Problem is my fans stopped working after the disassembly :/ I took the laptop apart again and found that I didn't connect one of the fans properly (cable was loose), so I fixed that but my fans are still not working *Sad

davidspivak, Dec 8, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Removing the CMOS battery will reset the bios to defaults. Sometimes there is a setting in bios for fan control - look in bios and see if you have a setting for fan control and if it changed to a different setting.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2015
  9. Ok, two updates:

1) The shut down problem is back again *Sad I guess the shut down working properly before was just random? I didn't change anything since it was working again so I have no idea why this is happening. I did go into the bios but the shut down problem was back before I did that.

2) The fans are working again! I just blew at one of them and they kicked in. I didn't know that about the CMOS battery and the bios, thank you. I checked the bios but couldn't find anything there related to the fans so I didn't change anything. But I'm not sure the fans are working properly:
    a) Sometimes they will just stop spinning and they will turn on again after a while. I guess they do that because of the temperature being low enough, but I have no idea if this was happening before.
    b) I'm using a fan control software (Gigabyte Smart Manger v3) and the fans are not responding to any changes I make in the software like they used to.

davidspivak, Dec 8, 2015
  10. Update: I reset my laptop to factory settings (drives formatted and rollback to Win 8.1). The fans are working as they used to but surprisingly the shut down problem is still here *Shock

davidspivak, Dec 8, 2015
  11. Hi,

Sorry for the triple post. Just wanted to say I solved the problem. Apparently the culprit was the new version of Gigabyte's Smart Manager software (v5.2.9). I uninstalled the software and the problem is now gone.

davidspivak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely - Similar Threads - Disabling Hibernation caused

2. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  3. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  4. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...
  5. surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely: My surface 3 laptop is not shutting down completely. when I shut it down, I get the blue shutdown screen, then the black blank screen, and I think it is shut down and I close the lid. but when I come back to my laptop minutes after, it would be boiling hot, with the lid...
  6. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    "Shut Down" only enters Hibernate: Here's something strange! I tried to shut my computer down because of another problem, and I found that it only went into Hibernate. When I started it back up, programs were still running that would have normally been turned off when the computer shuts down. So I tried it...
  9. Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10: How to: Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu in Windows 10 The Power menu in Windows 10 can allow users to restart the PC without having to sign in to Windows....
  10. Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not Shutting down Nor Hibernating: Hi Everyone I have HP elitebook 8460P Core i5 Second generation laptop. And I installed windows 10 32bit. But there is a big problem. And the problem is that , that when i am clicking on shut down, shutting down screen appears. and after that My PC's screen become black,...