Windows 10: Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?

Discus and support Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently decided to disable hibernation so that I could delete hiberfil.sys and free up 6gb of space on my SSD. I assumed this would just stop the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by artytoitx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. artytoitx Win User

Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?

I recently decided to disable hibernation so that I could delete hiberfil.sys and free up 6gb of space on my SSD.
    I assumed this would just stop the PC from going to sleep, but it seems to stop the screensaver from activating and also prevents the monitor from sleeping.
    After re-enabling hibernation, they work as normal.

Are the screensaver and and monitor sleep options dependent on the hibernation setting being available?

:)

artytoitx, Sep 1, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping? 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?

Hibernate / Sleep not working when HDD Write Caching disabled ?

I always disable the HDD setting 'Enable write caching on the device' from within Control Panel > System > Device Manager to reduce data loss.

However when I disable the option, Hibernate and Sleep stop working.

The monitors will turn off but the computer does not switch off. It will also not wake back up.

Ryzen 1700

Asus Prime Pro X370

Latest drivers and bios.

Anyone else get this issue?

Jon Weston, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?

1. Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping? - Similar Threads - Disabling hibernation supposed

2. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  3. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  4. Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!: For days I've been reading posts about why my screensaver wasn't activating. After trying numerous potential fixes that didn't work, I finally found the issue on my system. I ran the following command as admin in Powershell...powercfg -requestsUnder the DISPLAY section was...
  5. Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screensaver/monitor sleep not working? Try this!: For days I've been reading posts about why my screensaver wasn't activating. After trying numerous potential fixes that didn't work, I finally found the issue on my system. I ran the following command as admin in Powershell...powercfg -requestsUnder the DISPLAY section was...
  6. Screensaver and monitor sleep not working after KB5016616 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screensaver and monitor sleep not working after KB5016616 update: After I did the update a couple of days ago the screensaver stopped working and the monitor doesn't go to sleep anymore. I use my computer for 3D rendering, and the fact that it doesn't put the monitor to sleep means it's burning the monitor basically 24/7 without any need...
  7. Screensaver won’t start / monitor won’t sleep / system won’t sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screensaver won’t start / monitor won’t sleep / system won’t sleep: I’ve recently built a PC and it’s running the latest version of Windows 10. Everything was working great for the last month and then a couple of days ago I noticed the screensaver wasn’t starting and the monitors wouldn’t go to sleep later, and to top it off the system...
  8. Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disabling hibernation - is it supposed to stop the screensaver working or monitor sleeping?: I recently decided to disable hibernation so that I could delete hiberfil.sys and free up 6gb of space on my SSD. I assumed this would just stop the PC from going to sleep, but it seems to stop the screensaver from activating and also prevents the monitor from sleeping. After...
  9. sleep/screensaver work unreliably

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sleep/screensaver work unreliably: yea, i know all the powercfg stuff. nothing there, nothing even set to wake. the issue is that certain things make windows enter a state of "i don't care what settings you have". i can restart my PC and test my sleep/screensaver timeouts, they work. if you put the PC to...
  10. Monitor won't sleep, screensaver won't come on

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor won't sleep, screensaver won't come on: New PC build: 8700k, Z370 board, GTX 1080 Ti, Win 10 Home, all latest drivers and BIOS updates The monitor won't enter sleep mode and the screen saver won't come on either. Have tried resetting Power Options to default. Unplugged all USB devices. Does anyone have any...