Windows 10: Disabling Laptop Keyboard

Discus and support Disabling Laptop Keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. I have had an issue with the touchpad and keyboard on my laptop. Solutions to "jumping cursor" have made things worse, so, I am trying the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LegendsOfBatman, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Disabling Laptop Keyboard

Hi all.

I have had an issue with the touchpad and keyboard on my laptop. Solutions to "jumping cursor" have made things worse, so, I am trying the alternative option of using a USB keyboard and mouse. Disabling the mouse is easy. Disable keyboard is greyed out, and the only alternative is uninstall. But, we all know MS thinks we MUST have the keyboard drivers installed, despite the presence of another.
    Am I missing something, or has MS sent me to computer hell, are we forever stuck with the laptop keyboard, or can I actually disable it? I'd prefer not downloading some third party software.
    I am using windows 10 with the latest updates.
    I don't know if it helps, but, it's a super low end laptop hailing from Toshiba. the satellite c55dt.
    I want the internal keyboard disabled, because it does interfere when type.
    Thanks in advance.

:)

LegendsOfBatman, Jun 25, 2017

2. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 25, 2017
  3. Disabling laptop keyboard

I'm not understanding this. I had to uninstall and my keyboard is still not disabled. I'm having to use an external just to be able to type bc if I don't my laptop thinks i'm pressing "t" constantly and some of the other keys such as "I" and "O" and "U" are
    funky too. Can you please go into a more detailed description of what you mean here?

questingspirit, Jun 25, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Disabling Laptop Keyboard

How does the laptop keyboard interfere with typing when you use the USB one? Are you putting the USB one on top of it or something?

I don't know of a software way to disable the keyboard (this site says installing an incompatible driver works) but perhaps you could just unplug the cable.

It looks pretty easy for your laptop - you don't even need a screwdriver.

Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306 Keyboard Replacement - iFixit

5. Thanks.
    It just seems it's a simple fix but MS has prevented it from being simple.

Yes, I put the key board on top of the laptop; but, thats not working out so well. I had to do this once before on a different laptop, but didnt have the interference. Oh well.

Thanks, I'll see how it turns out.

LegendsOfBatman, Jun 26, 2017
  6. LegendsOfBatman, Jun 26, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User

How is it Microsoft's fault that you can't disable a laptop keyboard? How about looking towards your laptop vendor?

Anyway most laptops come with software to disable to touchpad when using an external mouse, (both my Asus and Lenovo have this feature) but I'm not aware of any coming with software to disable the keyboard itself.

And honestly, I can't ( and both laptop vendor and Microsoft see it the same way) see any user having a real need to disable a laptop's keyboard... why???

Regardless, everything that happens or doesn't happen to a PC isn't a "Microsoft" issue. Your issue really belongs at Toshiba's feet, but honesty there's no real reason for them to offer such a feature.

sygnus21, Jun 26, 2017
  8. I'm not getting into a flaming war. I have used MS for many decades now. I'm not a "fanboy", but, I'm not a hater, either.
    How is it MS' fault? It's partly their fault, and it's partly Elan's fault. Since I don't have the other company's name off the top of my head, (but, I'm thinking Synoptics", it's probably partly their fault.
    Here's why I blame them:
    The "jumping cursor" issue has been around forever. I finally tracked down the issue. Oddly, it's opposite what I would have thought. Under Control Panel, one has to go and turn the speed to "fast" to slow it down? (I'm tired and don't know the exact phrasing and breadcrumbs and dont really care at the moment). Once I do, the jumping cursor no longer jumps randomly. Again, odd, because I don't touch the touchpad, yet the sensitivity somehow picks up my wrists scent or whatever, even though I'm several inches away.
    So, that gets fixed, and then I have to go in and try to fix the keyboard now; because it lags like crazy.
    Well, now I see, it's actually only (or mostly) if I use IE. Not as bad if I use Chrome or other browsers. But, thanks Java and Adobe, because they can't keep their software secure, I have to use IE only on some sites.
    So, that's where some of this is some of MS' fault. They controlled the market for many years. Now we're stuck in the times on some sites.
    More to the point of why it's MS' fault, 98% of their fault: Because unless I am 100% mistaken, Control Panel is part of Windows, not Dell, not Leveno, HP, Toshiba, or even Elan or whoever else. Microsoft.
    Now, how easy would it be for there to be a "disable" or even "uninstall" option (that would not reinstall at boot)? Oh wait, I do have disable. But, it's greyed out. Who's fault is that? Toshiba? Elan? Microsoft? Well, again, partly all. Each company can demand that this get fixed. But, instead, what we get is the big run around. To me (but, admittedly, I'm not a programmer, so, it's much easier for me to say this) it should be as simple as allowing the option to disable the mouse and keyboard from CP. Windows has run things forever, so, they can force the companies to comply. That's been done before.
    The vendor is partly responsible, because they don't care. They sell a computer for as little as $300 today. There was a time when a kb of ram cost 4x that much. So, their profits go to hell in a pretty bow and basket. So, they don't care any more. It's Elan's fault, leave us the hell alone.
    Elan doesn't care, because I'm not their customer. Toshiba is, HP or whoever is. So, they don't have to answer to me.
    Then, comes the attitude we have accepted as a consumer: "You get what you pay for". Really? Maybe prices have gone down in electronics, but, we accept this on everything. Ice cream is down to 48 ounces. Why? Because they dont want to raise prices.Say what? It's retail pricing is now $6.00; when it was a 1/2 gallon, it was $3.00 off sale.
    In the electronics world, it's a matter of a rapidly changing market. Prices drop in a matter of days, and companies can't compete if they give a crap about customer service or quality. But, as I tell them, "How is that MY fault?"

Btw, I have the ability to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in. The problem is, half the time it still works.
    So, I asked people here, "Am I missing something? Is there a way to disable the KB and touchpad, or is it the way it is?"
    You can't see a real reason for us to be able to disable them?
    Well, once again, I'd rather spend a few dollars to replace a keyboard and mouse than several hundred to replace the laptop. And the fact there are 1000s of places where people ask the same questions, but, don't get a response that applies to them or their situation, or even their OS, i thought i'd ask here, on a Windows 10 forum. Does that answer the "How" and "Why" of that question?

Sorry if this seems mean, rude, offensive, or whatever. But in all honesty, I feel I had a legit question, and this was not in any way helpful. But, since you asked, I assume you wanted a legit answer, so, nice, mean or otherwise, there it is.

LegendsOfBatman, Jun 27, 2017
  9. For what its worth, the reason there is no disable option is likely because most people simply unplug a dud keyboard if its a desktop PC, and replace it with a working one. And for the most part, most people replace a defective keyboard in a laptop with a functional one. Blame who ever you want but it is what it is.

Unplug the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the laptops motherboard and problem solved.

alphanumeric, Jun 29, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Because of a very low price I picked up a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1, can be a Notebook or a Tablet. After reading this I did a 'measurement' and can run a straight-edge across the keyboard without touching a key, looks like it's recessed just enough that a thin piece of Masonite or a stiff cardboard could cover the keyboard without interference. It's a reasonable assumption seeing as the display can be folded completely over for Tablet mode and the keyboard rests on any flat surface.

Berton, Jun 29, 2017
  11. I bet you'll find in your case, that when you fold it back in tablet mode the keyboard is disabled. Some people will do that and put it in their lap etc. Keys would get pressed for sure that way.

alphanumeric, Jun 30, 2017
  12. Disabling Laptop Keyboard

"blame whoever you want, it is what it is"
    Pretty much. But, I just want to be able to have a functioning kb. I dont see why WE have to go thru a bunch of hell to simply disable it. And the other poster just hit me wrong with their comments.

"most people simply unplug a dud keyboard if its a desktop PC, and replace it with a working one. And for the most part, most people replace a defective keyboard in a laptop with a functional one."
    That's what Ive always done. NEVER been an issue and now suddenly, it's become an issue. It's like gremlins inside the computer, terrorizing me. According to my Av, no viruses, but, some major weird stuff going on. If no viruses, I suspect interference. Itd seem uninstalling or disabling the onboard keyboard and laptop would be easiest solution.

Unplug the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the laptops motherboard
    Not that skilled with laptop hardware.

Thanks

LegendsOfBatman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling Laptop Keyboard - Similar Threads - Disabling Laptop Keyboard

2. Disable built-in Laptop Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable built-in Laptop Keyboard: I want to know how to permanently disable the built-in Laptop keyboard in Windows so I can plug-in an external keyboard and use that instead of the built-in one.I have tried the existing method of uninstalling it from the Device manager but it comes back when I restart my PC....
  3. Disable built-in Laptop Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable built-in Laptop Keyboard: I want to know how to permanently disable the built-in Laptop keyboard in Windows so I can plug-in an external keyboard and use that instead of the built-in one.I have tried the existing method of uninstalling it from the Device manager but it comes back when I restart my PC....
  4. Can't Disable Laptop Keyboard

Can't Disable Laptop Keyboard: Due to damage i am trying to disable my laptop keyboard and instead use an external one.I tried uninstalling the driver but even after doing that without restarting the computer the keyboard continues to work and after the restart the old driver is back.I also tried replacing...
  5. Disabling Laptop's Keyboard

Disabling Laptop's Keyboard: Hey there, I used to disable my laptop's keyboard because my keys are all broken and it'll type by itself. But after updating to Windows 2004, it seems like I couldn't disable my keyboard anymore. Can someone help me? I would appreciate it....
  6. Disabling laptop keyboard

Disabling laptop keyboard: Hi, I am trying to disable my laptop keyboard permanently as it is faulty, and I am using an external keyboard. However, I am unable to disable my laptop's keyboard and it is very frustrating when my external keyboard is on top of my laptop. PLEASE HELP. I have tried using...
  7. Disabling Laptop Keyboard

Disabling Laptop Keyboard: how do i disable my laptop's key board? i was facing problem with my laptop keyboard since February and i had successfully disabled the keyboard and was happily using a Secondary Keyboard but when i have updated to Windows 10 2004 Home Single Language version, the...
  8. Disabling laptop keyboard

Disabling laptop keyboard: When I try to disable my laptop keyboard it does not work. I try changing to incompatible drivers but when I restart it changes back to standard ps2. Can anyone help me?...
  9. Laptop keyboard disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop keyboard disabled: New Lenovo laptop keyboard disabled after initial windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-keyboard-disabled/2e85f6a3-27ec-4a5e-bc7a-9b8442df4d73
  10. How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?

How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?: I have tried: 1. Install an incompatible driver - still works. 2. Disable it through DevManView - gives an error. 3. Uninstalling it - obviously does not work, it will reinstall upon restart. I need it for 2 reasons: for my laptop, so I could put food on my laptop,...