Windows 10: Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

Discus and support Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've been having a rather annoying problem with my Lenovo Legion Y530. My laptop randomly started going to sleep while gaming and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Salad12345, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

Hi everyone, I've been having a rather annoying problem with my Lenovo Legion Y530.

My laptop randomly started going to sleep while gaming and eventually started happening at completely arbitrary times. When I looked at event viewer I saw the issue was "Error 42 - Reason for Sleep: Lid or Switch".

I then realised it was probably some issue with my lid sensor and so I set the "On Lid Close" power option to "Do Nothing" which definitely helped but didn't completely fix the problem as although my laptop doesn't go to sleep anymore, the screen will flicker on and off (and sometimes stays off for up to 10 seconds).

This has me convinced that my sensor is faulty and is randomly sending false information on the lid status. The issue is that I can't replace it at the moment (due to national lockdown) and I can't open up my laptop and remove/check the sensor as I would have to break warranty stickers to get there.

So I was wondering, does anyone know of a way to disable my lid switch completely via BIOS or command line (or any other way)? (I tried looking at useful BIOS settings but I couldn't find anything.)

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Salad12345
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Salad12345, Apr 1, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

Thanks for replies. The laptop is set to 'Shutdown' (not sleep) when closing the lid and my neighbour doesn't stay on the laptop long enough for updates to complete. She only checks email and a little web browsing. I reckon she is inadvertently stopping Windows from updating so that it is constantly trying to install them again every time she switches the laptop on. This is causing the laptop to be slow / unresponsive. After I intervene and complete the updates the laptop is OK again.

I'll tell her to shut down by pressing the power button instead and look at the screen before closing the lid. This way she can delay closing the lid until the laptop powers off and then the updates will complete the install process at next switch-on.

wiganken, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Disable laptop screen when lid is closed

This will be sort of an addendum to J-Dizzle's answer I'm making because I couldn't find the 'Disconnect this display' option in the last step.

The only real difference is ensuring your laptop monitor is not your main display before trying to disconnect it. Perhaps this is common sense, but it took me a while to figure out. Big thanks and credit to J-Dizzle for his answer though!

My Setup

• Windows 10
    • Two LCD Monitors

Need

• Output to both displays with laptop closed and laptop display off
    • Continue to have the laptop display off when I wake my laptop from sleep

Steps

1. Open 'Change Display Settings' (search for that in the start menu or right click the desktop and click 'Display Settings')
    2. Open your laptop lid
    3. Identify which monitor is your laptop monitor (#1 for me when laptop is open)
    4. Select one of the monitor displays (#2 and #3 for me)
    5. Scroll down and click 'Make this my main display'
    6. Select your laptop display (#1 for me)
    7. Scroll down to the 'Multiple displays' dropdown menu and click 'Disconnect this display'

Here is how to confirm, Settings will show greyed out if off -

Hope This Helps, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

1. Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely - Similar Threads - Disabling Laptop Lid

2. completely globally disable application controlled window switching?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    completely globally disable application controlled window switching?: complêtely globally disable application controlled window switching.registry option to remove windows stealing focus, irrrelevant if they are clicked or not....
  3. completely globally disable application controlled window switching?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    completely globally disable application controlled window switching?: complêtely globally disable application controlled window switching.registry option to remove windows stealing focus, irrrelevant if they are clicked or not....
  4. disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop: I need help disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop. I am using windows 11 and I am using the hp 14 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-lid-detection-when-you-close-the-lid-of/5fdf5007-2217-4647-850c-ccec6ded4c7e
  5. disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop

disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop: I need help disabling lid detection when you close the lid of your laptop. I am using windows 11 and I am using the hp 14 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-lid-detection-when-you-close-the-lid-of/5fdf5007-2217-4647-850c-ccec6ded4c7e
  6. Laptop lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop lid: My laptop turns off when I close the lid while connected to the external display even with my lid settings configured correctly.I set my laptop to do nothing when I close the lid and it's on battery and plugged in as well....
  7. Laptop lid

Laptop lid: My laptop turns off when I close the lid while connected to the external display even with my lid settings configured correctly.I set my laptop to do nothing when I close the lid and it's on battery and plugged in as well....
  8. Disable password when laptop lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable password when laptop lid is closed: Buna ziua. Vreau sa dezactivez parola din modul inchis sau repaus. Am incercat cu win+R dar am creat un cont nou si nici pe acesta nu mai stiu sa il sterg. Ajutor , va rog! Moderator Translated from Romanian: Hello. I want to disable the password in closed or sleep mode....
  9. Opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening laptop lid: Hi Its somthing weird happening my laptop When i open the lid of my laptop more than 90 deg it shuts down It wont happen anything if i open it less than 90 deg I even reinstalled windows but its still not working Email me if u want to see its video: *** Email address is...
  10. Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right: Hello, I got a new laptop on summer which run perfectly well on W81. until recently, when I decided to make a clean install of W10 and some problems started. Thanks to great people in this forum I solved them (Solved Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. - Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp lid sensor disable

2. disable lid switch or windows settings

3. inspiron disable close lid sensor

4. msi bios lid switch disable,
  5. disable close lid sensor,
  6. notebook disable closed lid sensor