Windows 10: Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

Discus and support Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot With no success. I'm new to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frabnkhs, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Frabnkhs Win User

Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot

With no success. I'm new to Windows 10 and all the fancy-schmancy gizmos like Optane RST memory and the like so....

My biggest hurdle seems to be disabling the Optane and switching the mechanical harddrive over to ACHI

Here are some screen pix of my system's bios.... showing specifically the SATA and Optane related parts. BIOS is latest & greatest

Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD [​IMG]

And as an afterthought, do I need need to turn off boot protection?

I also tried Mr Brink's tutorial steps on ACHI turn on after installing to no avail

(Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation)

:)

Frabnkhs, Aug 30, 2020

2. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, Aug 30, 2020
  3. HDD vs SSD

Intel Optane is a super fast cache memory "drive" based on Intel 3D-Xpoint technology, it is used to cache the most often accessed files from your HDD and gives your system near SSD performance.

The Intel RST driver reports to the system that the mechanical HDD is an SSD when it is paired with an Optane module and disables defrag by default because you could cause file system issues if you defrag an Optane accelerated system.

If you really must defrag the drive disable the Optane acceleration first, this will re-enable defrag.

However it really isn't needed as the NTFS file system is better at handling fragmentation than previous versions of Windows file systems.

There is plenty of good info on this in the Intel Forums, also guides to installing Optane, troubleshooting issues and maintenance of Optane systems.

PeterLeonard1, Aug 30, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Bad Optane Drive?

The hardware isn't designed specifically to run with Intel based products, the caching software is. Optane drives work as standard SSDs in machines that don't support the Optane caching software.

newtekie1, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD - Similar Threads - Disabling Optane Installing

2. Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD: I have just bought a new laptop - Asus with 1 TB Optane M.2 NVME SSD. I installed windows home from the oobe, and upgraded to PRO. I then partitioned hard drive into two partitions. I used dism to install W11 (created by uup) in a virtual hard drive and made a native boot...
  3. Can't boot after disabling intel Optane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after disabling intel Optane: I've disabled intel optane in the bios menu but windows doesn't boot when I do this. It gives blue screen inaccessible_boot_device.Is there any way to disable intel optane and have the system reboot without factory resetting/reinstalling windows?...
  4. New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New M.2 NMVe SSD recognized but not usable: Alright folks, I usually manage on my own but here I'm starting to lose my mind, and I'm not familiar with PCI express stuff. Any help is appreciated. I built my own PC some years ago, here are the relevant specs : Windows 10 x64 on Samsung 850 EVO SSD 256GB with 1 TB HDD...
  5. Cloning SSD to NMVe - Macrium NO, Acronis TrueImage for Sabrent YES

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning SSD to NMVe - Macrium NO, Acronis TrueImage for Sabrent YES: I just installed a 1 TB Sabrent Rocket PCIE-4 NMVe drive into my system and used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD to the new Rocket. Did not work. First I got a "missing or corrupted winload.efi" error message. On reboots, error xc000 000e error code. I booted up to...
  6. Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD: I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot With no success. I'm new to Windows 10 and all the fancy-schmancy gizmos like Optane RST memory and the like so.... My biggest hurdle seems to be...
  7. Optane, the poor man's SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optane, the poor man's SSD: I ordered an Optane module for my XPS 8900 Dell computer online for about $25 total. They only work with i3, 5, and 7 and only 7th gen Kaby lake processors. They are tied into the drive with the OS on it only and you can't easily change that drive without upsetting the...
  8. SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NMVe SSD: I bought a new SAMSUNG SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD. Mr Google on several sites said that a DVD install will fail at the make Partition stage. I installed from a DVD no problem. The only changes I made in the UEFI was to disable the other drives so as to be sure to install to the...
  9. Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD

in Windows 10 News
    Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD: A couple of weeks ago Intel and Micron jointly announced their Xpoint - pronounced "cross point" - memory. Offering few details they claimed 3D XPoint technology combines the performance, density, power, non-volatility and cost advantages of all available memory...
  10. Announcing Intel Optane SSD 900P Series

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Intel Optane SSD 900P Series: Intel today announced the launch of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, the first SSD for desktop PC and workstation users built on Intel® Optane™ technology. Intel, in collaboration with Roberts Space Industries*, announced the new SSD at CitizenCon, a Star Citizen community...