Windows 10: Disabling other networks

Discus and support Disabling other networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have been struggling to find a way to disable all outside networks from popping up when I go to the Network icon. I only want the network that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MorganC27, Apr 5, 2019.

1. MorganC27 Win User

Disabling other networks

Hi,

I have been struggling to find a way to disable all outside networks from popping up when I go to the Network icon. I only want the network that I am connected to be shown and no other networks. I have already tried going to my Wireless Network Properties > Security > and unchecked "Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network". In addition, I have gone through Windows wifi settings and clicked "Forget" on all known networks and turned off Hotspot 2.0 Networks. Again, I don't want my computer displaying other available networks, but my own that I am connected to.

Any suggestions?

:)

MorganC27, Apr 5, 2019
  2. John Galt Win User

disable 2.4ghz network

First, get the computer to forget your current network:

• Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
    • Click Network settings.
    • Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
    • Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
    • Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.

Next, go into your router and either completely disable the 2.4GHz radio or set the 2.4 and the 5G radios to different SSIDs, maybe the 2.4 can be your guest Wifi...

Then, on your computer, only join the 5Ghz SSID network.

The suggestion in the post above to just disable the SSID broadcast of the 2.4Ghz radio will probably not work, your computer will still join it.

John Galt, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Network adapter keeps disabling

Hi Taran,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you with the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know what is the make and model of the computer?

The issue you are facing could be due network adapter driver is being outdated. Let’s try simple steps troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. Follow the below methods:

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run Network troubleshooter, it will automatically troubleshoot the network problem and check. If it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Network troubleshooter.

• Click on Advanced on the Network troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Network troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2.

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the network adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for Network adaptor and click on it expand it.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done installing the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic network adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the network driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the device and click on update.

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Boatvan Win User

Disabling other networks

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Disabling other networks

1. Disabling other networks - Similar Threads - Disabling networks

2. After Windows update when connecting my wired network, it disables my wireless connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Windows update when connecting my wired network, it disables my wireless connection.: How do I fix it to have both connections? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-update-when-connecting-my-wired/16bbe118-5372-419a-9998-5d583dfe918a
  3. After Windows update when connecting my wired network, it disables my wireless connection.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Windows update when connecting my wired network, it disables my wireless connection.: How do I fix it to have both connections? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-update-when-connecting-my-wired/16bbe118-5372-419a-9998-5d583dfe918a
  4. Enable or Disable DNR or Discovery of Network designated Resolvers in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable DNR or Discovery of Network designated Resolvers in Windows 11: [IMG]Discovery of Network designated Resolvers (DNR) is a new standard that makes it easier for devices to find encrypted DNS servers. DNS servers help devices find the websites they’re looking for online. Encrypted DNS servers help keep your internet activity more secure and...
  5. Network adaptor disables when i place some games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adaptor disables when i place some games.: So far this is the case with the following games: R.U.S.E., Back 4 Blood, and Baldur's Gate 3. When i play any of these games, my network adaptor will disable and re-enable itself randomly. I have found no solution and i've gone so far as a complete wipe of the hard drive and...
  6. Network adaptor disables when i place some games.

Network adaptor disables when i place some games.: So far this is the case with the following games: R.U.S.E., Back 4 Blood, and Baldur's Gate 3. When i play any of these games, my network adaptor will disable and re-enable itself randomly. I have found no solution and i've gone so far as a complete wipe of the hard drive and...
  7. Network adaptor disables when i place some games.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. How to temporarily disable disconnected network drives but not delete them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to temporarily disable disconnected network drives but not delete them: Hi all,I work from home and require running a company VPN to have access to the drives I need for work. The problem is despite them being disconnected, while I'm not working, many programs including file explorer try to access these drives presumably to check capacity which...
  9. How to temporarily disable disconnected network drives but not delete them

How to temporarily disable disconnected network drives but not delete them: Hi all,I work from home and require running a company VPN to have access to the drives I need for work. The problem is despite them being disconnected, while I'm not working, many programs including file explorer try to access these drives presumably to check capacity which...
  10. How to temporarily disable disconnected network drives but not delete them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing