Windows 10: Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep?

Discus and support Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Anyone else experiencing a scenario in which disabling "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" results in, shortly after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_ninotsmindeli, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep?

Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep? uwnac41COIChB502pzmWI_WO4rjeTwVW3532Ao0VkLc.jpg

Anyone else experiencing a scenario in which disabling "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" results in, shortly after entering sleep, the laptop either heating up dramatically or simply becoming unresponsive and restarting? It is at this point entirely reproducible on my end.

When it happens, windows Event Viewer shows a restart due to a "BugCheck" but not much clear about power management that I can decipher.

I have only been poking around this setting as it is itself the reproducible solution to an issue in which any bluetooth mouse, after idling for 10 or so seconds, will have clearly powered its radio down and takes a very noticeable pause after moving to wake back up. It is minor but extremely annoying all the same, and it seems these power management options should at worst be just an additional battery drain when disabled, not a complete session stopper.

Anyone else dealing with this? On W10 2004 on a Dell XPS 13 9300.

https://preview.redd.it/8cdu1x2kuzf...bp&s=1ade99a3244595674f1459ff852a5e1a0a21aafe

submitted by /u/_ninotsmindeli
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_ninotsmindeli, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Disable "Power Surge on USB" message

Hi David,

If the system detects that a USB port is going over the power limit, the system is set to notify the user by default. However, since you mentioned that you're still getting the notification after you disabled the alerts, we suggest following these steps
    instead:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Device Manager.
    • Click the drop-down arrow beside Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click anything that has USB Host Controller in its name, and select
      Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer. The driver will be reinstalled automatically.

Let us know if the error notification disappears after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 9, 2020
  3. USB devices have yellow marker in device manager under 'Other devices'

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of your devices?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check.

• Press the Windows + X,
      and click on Search.

• Type troubleshooting and select
      Troubleshooting

• Click on Hardware and Sound and select
      Hardware and Devices

• Click on Next to run the troubleshooter

Method 2: Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.

• Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.

• Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.

• Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep?

When starting computer Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) and USB 3.0 root hub missing from device manager

Hi,

This can be due to a recent change in the configuration of your device. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from
    its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

• In the Search box, type Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat step 3 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep?

1. Disabling power management on USB device controllers causing hard lock during sleep? - Similar Threads - Disabling power management

2. Power management / Disabling Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power management / Disabling Devices: Having a ridiculously annoying issue where a USB mouse on a laptop will turn itself off with power managementWHILE DEVICE IS IN USE. The temporary fix is to disable the power management but it continually turns itself off. we switched to Bluetooth devices due to the...
  3. Power management / Disabling Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power management / Disabling Devices: Having a ridiculously annoying issue where a USB mouse on a laptop will turn itself off with power managementWHILE DEVICE IS IN USE. The temporary fix is to disable the power management but it continually turns itself off. we switched to Bluetooth devices due to the...
  4. How to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a bat file: As the title says I want to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a .bat file.I have successfully disabled the USB Selective suspend settings code below under Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settingspowercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT...
  5. How to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a bat file

How to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a bat file: As the title says I want to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a .bat file.I have successfully disabled the USB Selective suspend settings code below under Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settingspowercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT...
  6. How to disable USB Power Management in Device Manager with a bat file

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  8. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  9. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

10. USB Controller missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Controller missing from Device Manager: I am using a HP 650 Notebook was trying to transfer all files and reset the full windows so I bought a portable drive. But the problem I found is USB doesnt work and so I went to device manager to see whether the drives is update and I dont even find any USB controller....