Windows 10: Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC

Discus and support Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I am looking to disable sign in option on my very old home laptop which is used by me only. It does not have a password, But once it goes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/realxeltos, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC

Hello, I am looking to disable sign in option on my very old home laptop which is used by me only. It does not have a password, But once it goes to sleep i have to click to get off screen saver page (The Bing Images page) then sign in page. I want to skip the second part as it can get a bit annoying. I googled it but the solution that comes up a lot is about 2 years old and I can not see those settings anywhere. Running Windows 10 pro with latest updates.

submitted by /u/realxeltos
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/realxeltos, Mar 27, 2021

2. password sign in

Hi,

About your concern with typing the password after being idle, it is actually recommended to activate for security reasons.

If you wish to disable it, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sign in options.
    • On the right side, you will see required sign in.
    • Change it to Never.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Explorer9 Win User
    force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC

Lock Screen Password

Hi Eashwar,

About your concern on enabling password protected lock screen, follow the steps below:

• Go to Settings > Click Accounts.
    • On the right panel select Sign-in options > Under Password you'll see the option to add password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Keep us posted with the result.

Regile Reb, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC

1. Disabling "Sign In screen" on an non password protected PC - Similar Threads - Disabling Sign screen

2. Disable password use at sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable password use at sign in: I’ve recently installed the Authenticator app and I was wondering if there is a way to disable using my password to sign in to my Microsoft account.I’ve had a ton of attempts to access my account from foreign countries, and although it would seem setting up MFA would solve...
  3. Disable password use at sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable password use at sign in: I’ve recently installed the Authenticator app and I was wondering if there is a way to disable using my password to sign in to my Microsoft account.I’ve had a ton of attempts to access my account from foreign countries, and although it would seem setting up MFA would solve...
  4. Password Protected Dell PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password Protected Dell PC: HI all & Happy Holidays~I have a Dell PC that the home screen is locked, and I don't know the pin or paraphrase or MS account p/w. Am trying to remove programs and cleanup to give as Christmas gift so PLEASE someone tell me how to get in it.I am a total computer idiot but as...
  5. Disabling sign in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Disabling sign in screen: I cannot disable the sign in screen anymore after the latest update. What is this nonsense? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-sign-in-screen/1933db15-5e3f-48a5-84ce-fd723fbdcd49
  6. disable the sign in screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    disable the sign in screen: So far I can only find the wrong answer to this question. Disable the screen, not the ability to type a password or the need to type a password to log onto windows. How can I remove the screen that says, "sign in"? All the answers so far assume the this question is about...
  7. password protected locked screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    password protected locked screen: When I turn my computer on, I have to enter my Microsoft password to start Windows. How do I turn this off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-locked-screen/5f609b02-4a85-47bc-a846-b88df8ff3e1b
  8. Programatically disabling "Password protected sharing"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programatically disabling "Password protected sharing": The product I'm working on relies heavily on letting an embedded device fetch some files from an anonymous share. I made an installer that preps a Windows 10 machine with all necessary modifications, creating a share, populating the share and so on. The way I disabled...
  9. Disable sign in password feature

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable sign in password feature: I need, repeat NEED to disable having to sign in with a password every time I fire up my computer now. I DID NOT have to do this at all until recently when some dumb update or whatever stuck it to me. How do I get rid of this bothersome feature?...
  10. Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC...