Windows 10: Disabling start up applications

Discus and support Disabling start up applications in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My new Windows 10 Pro is now set up and running well. Just one thing I really need to take care of now are the seemingly excessive number of programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GregH, Apr 29, 2016.

1. GregH Win User

Disabling start up applications

My new Windows 10 Pro is now set up and running well. Just one thing I really need to take care of now are the seemingly excessive number of programs that load up, slowing boot time. Things like Acronis (for back ups), Samsung Magician, MSI fast boot software, Ccleaner, Adobe updater, Malwarebytes, etc, etc all load up and I prefer to run these only when needed. What is the best way to disable these safely, so that they don't cause any errors and will start when asked, but not before? CClleaner has an easy to use StartUp Programs section where I can disable most. Is this a good option?

Also, if I disable Samsung Magician in Start Up, will this mean that the SSD will no longer use the optimization settings as set in the Magician software?

Thanks.

:)

GregH, Apr 29, 2016

2. Disk Usage 99% each time Start up

To disable start up apps:

1) Hold "Control + Shift + Escape" on your keyboard to open the task manger

2) then click Start-Up

3) right click applications that you want to disable and click disable.

TIP: Start up impact shows how much of your PC's resources is used by the application

LeonWilberforce, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 starts programs when i boot up

We would like to clarify if the Task Manager is one that is launching after booting up Windows? or the Spotify application that launches when you start your computer? If yes, you can refer to their website: https://www.technipages.com/spotify-disable-automatic-startup
    to know how to disable this application when the computer starts.

Johann Eva, Apr 29, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Here: .

• Right click on the taskbar and click on "Task Manager" in the context menu.
    • It will open Task Manager with "Processes" tab selected. Click on the "Startup" tab.
    • Select them all one by one and click "Disable" at the bottom right corner.
    • Disable everything there other than the antivirus.
    That's it. For more details (disabling third party services etc): Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

If you are not having a real issue right now, dont disable your antivirus or malwarebytes from startup right now.
    If it is a laptop, dont disable the touchpad driver.

If a startup item is disabled/deleted, none of its configurations will be lost.

5. dalchina New Member
    Disabling startups is usually perfectly safe.

You can easily prioritise what you want to disable:
    In the task manager
    - sort by CPU use - is it using more than you like
    - sort by disk use - is it using more than you like
    - sort by network use - is it using more than you like

Decide on the functionality- do you need (for example) the monitoring function of Ccleaner?

Here are two programs that you can add to your startup ( *chuckle ) to detect whether a new program you are installing wishes to add sthg that starts up automatically and let you reject it:
    a. Tiny, old, but good: Startup Monitor by Mike Lin
    b. Winpatrol

dalchina, Apr 29, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Since OP has CCleaner installed, managing Start Up items is very straightforward.
    Open it, go to Tools then Start Up.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling start up applications - Similar Threads - Disabling start applications

2. a application is not starting up on launch for some reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a application is not starting up on launch for some reason: i have tried numerous things, including, restarting uninstalling and mkaing a command for it on run also made the application admin and it still wont launch on startup no idea why...
  3. start up applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start up applications: I am unable to open the startup apps settings it's getting stuck while opening it in settings i don't know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-applications/fd2356ff-8086-4a9a-9d52-9cb594c6855e
  4. start up applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start up applications: I am unable to open the startup apps settings it's getting stuck while opening it in settings i don't know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-applications/fd2356ff-8086-4a9a-9d52-9cb594c6855e
  5. Problem with start up for one application

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with start up for one application: Hi everyone, so i had an issue with an application logitech ghub a few days ago. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software to see if it would fix the problem it hasn't, but it's not important. What happen is that the uninstallation/reinstallation process created another...
  6. Applications disappeared from start-up?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Applications disappeared from start-up?: OS Name Version Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362 Build 18362 Several programs, of which include qBitorrent, Steam, and Discord, have seemingly been removed from start-up. Windows hasn't updated for a few weeks now, and I've scanned my computer for viruses and came up...
  7. How to disable a UWP application auto start up?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to disable a UWP application auto start up?: I installed some UWP application, then I often see many application such as QQ、IQIYI、Skype、Peoples and so on is running. But I want to use it only when I start it. How to disable them auto starting?...
  8. wireless adapter disabled at start up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wireless adapter disabled at start up: About 50% of the time, my wireless adapter, Qualcom Atheros 956x is disabled at Windows 10 start up. Rebooting clears the problem, but sometimes I have to reboot 2 or 3 times, I am currently running the latest update to Version 1803. Does anyone know how to fix this...
  9. Bluetooth is Disabled on Start-up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth is Disabled on Start-up: I have searched other posts but none have fixed the problem. My bluetooth adapter is disabled when I first turn on my computer. I have to go to device manager to enable it. This only started happening recently. I updated the driver a couple of days ago and now it won't...
  10. open .disabled file at start up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    open .disabled file at start up: When I turn my computer on now, it ask me to open .disabled files. I checked start up and there are no .disabled files. This is what is starting up: Screenshot I didn't install anything new so I have no idea what it is. 33334