Windows 10: disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks!

Discus and support disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Wifi home network is going down all the time, because whatever unknown Wifi Connection can take the lead, as they are all marked as `Automatically`... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by segundogh, Oct 24, 2020.

1. segundogh Win User

disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks!

My Wifi home network is going down all the time, because whatever unknown Wifi Connection can take the lead, as they are all marked as `Automatically` BUT mine. Every time I click on them one by one to uncheck `automatically connect`, seconds later, they are again all marked as default BUT mine.

Because they are Unknown, I cannot use go to Settings and forget them, nor I can chose to disable automatic connection, apparently.

This is causing me interruption in meetings and important online tasks with clients, and it has been like this for 2 weeks now.

I find unbelievable that I dont have an option to simply block a network, and no other options under WiFi right panel besides check/uncheck for Connect Automatically! And there is no clear section to deal with unknown connections. In my case they are many in my building, all competing with mine, which for mysterious reason is the only one that do not stay checked but it is unchecked all the time.

What is the solution for this? I see question dating back to 2015 with similar issues.. and no clear solution, really?

:)

segundogh, Oct 24, 2020
  2. vj000000 Win User

Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

I have the same problem that Daniel described above.

Your solution, however, does not address his problem. Your solution only addresses "known wi-fi networks" and does not address disabling the auto-connecting of
    unknown networks.

I've already been down the path of network settings and there is nothing that will disable the auto-connecting of unknown networks.

vj000000, Oct 24, 2020
  3. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

I am abroad with friends. I connect to their Wifi. I see other networks broadcasting their ID. I clear the box "Connect automatically" which was selected by default for unknown reason. I check again 5 mn later, ALL unknown networks have re-enabled auto
    connect. The unknown are NOT listed in the table of these I can "forget". The IDs of the unknowns change everytime I get back after suspend, restart or after a cold start. Anyone seen this? Now, I have to change my pwd everytime I go to a sensitive site
    (financial data). What can be done about it?

original title: AUto connect re-enables after 5mn!!!

Daniel-M-Roy, Oct 24, 2020
  4. disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks!

Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to disable auto-connect to Wi-Fi with unknown networks. We will certainly help you with this.

Method 1: Turn off auto connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.

1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel.

4. Turn off Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots option.

Method 2: How to forget a Wi-Fi Network.
    1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel and scroll down to see a list of known networks.

4. Tap the network you want to forget and click on Forget
    button.

Windows by default automatically connects to the previously connected/known Wi-Fi network. Listed below are steps to disable the automatic connection to known Wi-Fi network.

1. Right click on Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    menu option.

2. In the Network and Sharing Center window, click the Wi-Fi connection
    link.

3. This should display the Wi-Fi Status windows.

4. Now click the Wireless Properties button in W-Fi Status.

5. Unmark the check box with label as Connect automatically when this network in range
    option available under the Wireless Network Properties window. Click
    Ok
    button to confirm and the save the changes.

If you are using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools, Then I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by DennisBarnett.

Cannot turn off 'automatically connect' option on WIFI connections

(Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks!

1. disabling the auto-connecting of unknown networks! - Similar Threads - disabling auto connecting

2. Disable Bluetooth Auto Connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Bluetooth Auto Connect: There's no feature to disable bluetooth auto connect. Why? No one knows. I want to be able to put my laptop to sleep and not have to come back upstairs to put it in hibernate or turn off bluetooth altogether just to use my earbuds on my phone. Very annoying, please fix....
  3. Disable Bluetooth Auto Connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Bluetooth Auto Connect: There's no feature to disable bluetooth auto connect. Why? No one knows. I want to be able to put my laptop to sleep and not have to come back upstairs to put it in hibernate or turn off bluetooth altogether just to use my earbuds on my phone. Very annoying, please fix....
  4. How can I disable auto-connecting to unknown open wifi networks?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I disable auto-connecting to unknown open wifi networks?: I see this question asked a lot, and I see the same answer posted a lot as well. Here's the scenario. I have a secure wifi network at home. I have a desktop running windows 10. My desktop doesn't go traveling with me and there is no need for it to ever connect to a...
  5. Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks: [ATTACH] These are networks I've never connected to, and never want to. However they always appear with that checkmark ticked. If I untick, it just ticks it back. Ironically, my own network is never ticked (and if I tick it, it automatically unticks). This feels like a bug...
  6. Disable Bluetooth Auto-Connect?

Disable Bluetooth Auto-Connect?: This is the most annoying feature windows 10 has and I cannot find a way to disable it. When I am listening to radio on my phone with my Bluetooth headphones as windows boots up, suddenly I'm cut off and connect to windows 10. I've tried editing the registry key:...
  7. Disable bluetooth auto connect

Disable bluetooth auto connect: Hey, I want to stop bluetooth from automatically connecting to ANYTHING. No, I dont want to disconnect the devices. No, I dont want to disable bluetooth. I just want to disable auto-connect. submitted by /u/Philipp4 [link] [comments]...
  8. Disable auto-connect of microphone?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable auto-connect of microphone?: So I've been trying to use my Jaybird X3s and now X4s with my home computer. Every time I go on and pair the earphones the first time it works just fine without the microphone playing back to the sound. But then I turn them off and put them away and when I come back and turn...
  9. unknown network connected

unknown network connected: I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME I RECENTLY DETECTED AN UNKNOWN NETWORK CONNECTED AND UNDER SETTINGS IT IS LISTED AS FRONTIER4169 THE PERFERRED CHOICE THEN MY NETWORK IS LISTED. WHAT IS IT AND WHERE DID IT COME FROM?...
  10. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks: My computer automatically connects to unknown open wifi. For example, when I work in a coffee shop, my computer selects any open wifi and connects to it. Then I disconnect from the network (and make sure auto-connection to that network is NOT selected). However, my computer...