Windows 10: Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

Discus and support Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeramyCourter, May 10, 2021.

1. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap" it while I am typing, causing the cursor to move randomly.Does anyone know how to disable the touchpad? I went through the Device Manager and attempted to disable it there, and there is no option.

:)

JeramyCourter, May 10, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 10, 2021
  3. Disabling trackpad when external mouse is active

I have an ASUS laptop running Win10. The touchpad gestures sometimes accidentally activate and make a hash of my typing. I wish to use an external mouse and disable trackpad automatically when that mouse is active. Your advice says:

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Select Ease of Access.
    3. Click Touchpad.
    4. Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    5. You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

As you no doubt know, these instructions are WRONG. There is no toggle switch under touchpad, and no option to toggle touchpad off when using external mouse.

I allow WIN10 to update. It is updated.

So what is the secret? And why is it a secret?

Editorsteve1, May 10, 2021
  4. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

disable touchpad

Hi James,

Touchpad is usually disabled and re-enabled by pressing the Fn and either
    F3 or F9 keys, but that depends on the laptop that you have. Each brand have its own shortcut keys. However, you can disable the touchpad from the Settings page. Follow these steps:

1. Open Settings > Devices.
    2. In the left pane, click Touchpad.
    3. To completely disable the touchpad, toggle off Touchpad.
    4. If you only want to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is connected, check the box for
      Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.

Let me know if you need further help so I can assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 10, 2021
Thema:

Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

1. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected - Similar Threads - Disabling touchpad while

2. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  3. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  4. disable touchpad single click when external mouse is connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable touchpad single click when external mouse is connected: Hi,I've seen a million give or take solutions to disabling the touchpad when I have a mouse connected. Those work, but are not really what I am looking for.I ONLY want to disable the one-finger single-click aspect of the touchpad if my external mouse is connected. That way I...
  5. Disable touchpad when external mouse connected - HP Envy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable touchpad when external mouse connected - HP Envy: Last year, I had a toggle that enabled me to disable the touchpad, but it's no longer present. All enquiries I've looked at show a feature in Settings/Touchpad that's not there on my laptop. Can anyone please help me to recover the feature that was previously available?...
  6. Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling touchpad while external mouse connected: I used to be able to have my touchpad shut off automatically when I connect an external mouse. I don't know which update it was, but I have recently realized that my touchpad is back on while the external mouse is connected. I don't use the touchpad as my hand tends to "tap"...
  7. How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected

How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected: I am using Windows 10 Pro, build 20H2. I have attempted the following code to disable the touchpad when a mouse is detected, but it seems to not be working. I have restarted the computer after applying, and does not take effect. Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in...
  8. Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected: All the sudden, the touchpad of my HP Spectre laptop is not being disabled when I connect a mouse to it. And I can't find the disabling button in Setting anymore. How can I fix it?...
  9. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  10. Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse: How do I use only the plug in mouse and not the mouse pad? * Moved from IE10/other ***Modified title from: I want to use my mouse that plugs in and not the mouse pad but can notset it up.***...