Windows 10: Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key?

Discus and support Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought a new laptop recently, but I have noticed that there is no secondary function to turn off the touchpad (e.g. fn+F3 with an image of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BobbyMcJeff, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key?

I just bought a new laptop recently, but I have noticed that there is no secondary function to turn off the touchpad (e.g. fn+F3 with an image of the touchpad). I also went into the Control Panel to attempt to turn it off, but even that didn't work. Can anyone help me with this?

:)

BobbyMcJeff, Mar 10, 2019
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Mar 10, 2019
  3. win 10 disable touchpad

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

You can disable the touchpad pressing the FN key + (F1 – F10) (check the laptop user manual to find the Disable/enable touchpad function key).

You can also disable the touchpad using Device manager. To do so kindly follow the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Disable".

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Jelu Cal Win User

Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key?

Touchpad

Hi Aslamullah,

Disabling function keys can be facilitated by using a keyboard shortcut. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• If you're looking to disable the function keys on your device.
    • If you're looking for the process of disabling the touchpad without the use of the function keys.

To disable the function keys, you can perform the following:

• Press and hold the Fn key.
    • Press the Num Lock key.

Note: If the above steps don't work, press and hold the Fn + Shift + Num Lock keys.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key?

1. Disabling Touchpad without a Secondary Function Key? - Similar Threads - Disabling Touchpad without

2. Surface type cover - how to disable touchpad without disabling keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface type cover - how to disable touchpad without disabling keyboard?: I would like to disable the touchpad on my Surface type cover. However, when I do, the keyboard also stops working. I would like to use my external mouse and the keyboard on the type cover, but not the touchpad. Is there a way to disable the touchpad without also disabling...
  3. Surface type cover - how to disable touchpad without disabling keyboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface type cover - how to disable touchpad without disabling keyboard?: I would like to disable the touchpad on my Surface type cover. However, when I do, the keyboard also stops working. I would like to use my external mouse and the keyboard on the type cover, but not the touchpad. Is there a way to disable the touchpad without also disabling...
  4. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad not functioning correctly: I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 15 laptop. The hard drive was playing up so I have installed an SSD in it's place. Rather than clone the old HDD to the new drive, I did a clean install of Windows 10 intending to migrate data and settings across later. I have also updated the...
  5. FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?: I have a 2015 Lenovo Ideapad. The function keys (as well as arrow keys, the real killer here) are overloaded with functionality like screen brightness, volume, sleep, etc. Something is wrong with the FN key and it acts as though it is permanently depressed, making the f and...
  6. Touchpad functionality is not working

Touchpad functionality is not working: I have a brand new Acer Spin SP513-54N. The touchpad functionalities of right click, double click etc. are not working though the touchpad works for scroll movements. I was advised to reinstate the device to factory settings but the same has not helped either. Any advise...
  7. Mouse and touchpad disabled itself and stop working without touching some key on keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse and touchpad disabled itself and stop working without touching some key on keyboard: İ am using Lenovo y510p PC with windows 10 operation system, like a month or so i am experiencing problem that mouse and touchpad disabled itself without reason and stop working ( with mouse it can move but clicking do nothing, with touchpad completely gone even can't move)...
  8. Touchpad suddenly not functioning

Touchpad suddenly not functioning: Hello everyone! Hopefully you're all surviving this pandemic without too much disruption. Anyway, I'll just get on with it. Please see the timeline of events below: Bought an Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G laptop brand new just under four months ago when I started my own...
  9. Disable Function Keys on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Function Keys on Windows 10: Hey there. I wish to disable certain function keys so that I may bind them for some games that I enjoy playing, but the fact that I've got no idea on how to do that is kinda getting in the way of that. Any suggestions for me?...
  10. How to disable windows shortcut keys without disabling windows key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable windows shortcut keys without disabling windows key?: I don't like any (windowskey+anykey) keyboard shortcuts and I like to use my own ones for some apps. Whenever I missclick Winkey without adding additional key WindowsMenu toggles which irritates me....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable mousepad without fn