Windows 10: Disabling Windows Search

Discus and support Disabling Windows Search in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm creating an image for Desktops/Laptops that clients will be using. We want to lock down the computer as much as possible and I've had some success... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ValueTown, Nov 27, 2018.

1. ValueTown Win User

Disabling Windows Search

I'm creating an image for Desktops/Laptops that clients will be using. We want to lock down the computer as much as possible and I've had some success with Group Policies. The one major thing I would like to disable before I finish is the windows search bar. Even if I disable the search bar function of Cortana and lock the taskbar users can still type after opening the start menu and they can then access things I've blocked via other means like the hard drive.

I would like to disable searching or at least disable them doing anything from the search bar. I've looked into this a bit and I've seen mention of disabling Cortana but i don't want to do anything that would cause system instability. The computers will be used for our clients in the field and can't easily be re-imaged so I can't have instability.

Any suggestions?

:)

ValueTown, Nov 27, 2018

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Disabling Windows Search a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Nov 27, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Disable Web Search when I hit Windows Key to Search my Computer

Hi Larry,

To be able to disable the Web Search when using the searchbox, you need to turn off Cortana. The searchbox will now say "Search Windows" instead of "Ask me anything." It will be more responsive and only show results from your hard drive or local network. To
    do this, you can follow the steps below:

• Login to Windows 10 computer with your Microsoft account.
    • Click on Cortana search bar.
    • In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    • Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    • Then turn off Cortana option.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Disabling Windows Search

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Disabling Windows Search

1. Disabling Windows Search - Similar Threads - Disabling Search

2. How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11: Hi everyone,I am trying to disable the feature that allows you to simply start typing in the Windows 11 Start Menu and Windows automatically searches apps, files etc... on your PC.I don't just want to block web searches, I would like to completely remove the feature of being...
  3. How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Search in Start Menu for Windows 11: Hi everyone,I am trying to disable the feature that allows you to simply start typing in the Windows 11 Start Menu and Windows automatically searches apps, files etc... on your PC.I don't just want to block web searches, I would like to completely remove the feature of being...
  4. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it: So I have had this problem for a long time now. I have been trying to fix this issue for an year and windows search still running and is eating up my ram. I also tried hard reseting my laptop but nothing worked. I also tried the Methods which I found in the microsoft wepsite...
  5. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it: So I have had this problem for a long time now. I have been trying to fix this issue for an year and windows search still running and is eating up my ram. I also tried hard reseting my laptop but nothing worked. I also tried the Methods which I found in the microsoft wepsite...
  6. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to disable Copilot recommendation in Start menu Search Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Copilot recommendation in Start menu Search Windows 10 Home: Hi,I would like to not have the Copilot Recommendation at the top of my Start Menu when I open the search interface.To clarify what component: this is above the Recent results, before any characters are typed in. The text says: "RecommendedYour AI-powered copilotSay goodbye...
  8. How to disable Copilot recommendation in Start menu Search Windows 10 Home

How to disable Copilot recommendation in Start menu Search Windows 10 Home: Hi,I would like to not have the Copilot Recommendation at the top of my Start Menu when I open the search interface.To clarify what component: this is above the Recent results, before any characters are typed in. The text says: "RecommendedYour AI-powered copilotSay goodbye...
  9. How to disable Copilot recommendation in Start menu Search Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Cloud search stays enabled even though I have disabled it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cloud search stays enabled even though I have disabled it.: It shows up as disabled in: Settings, Search options, registry or even group policies but somehow still is working on my system? I've tried every way to disable it and it still shows up....