Windows 10: Disappeared documents

Discus and support Disappeared documents in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The documents I have stored under various headings for several years recently disappeared. How do I find them?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SherryCoEve, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Disappeared documents

The documents I have stored under various headings for several years recently disappeared.

How do I find them?

:)

SherryCoEve, Oct 23, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 23, 2020
  3. curt jugg Win User
    Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before.
    I did a normal System Restore but it failed, so I did a System Restore in Safe Mode and this was successful and all the files reappeared.
    Although I no longer have a problem, I am concerned that the same thing might happen again. Can anyone suggest what could have been the cause of the disappearance, please? Windows Defender has not shown up any viruses and I'm at a loss as to what could have happened. Grateful for any suggestions.

curt jugg, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Disappeared documents

my documents have disappeared - how to get them back

Hi Wanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have clarity on this issue and guide you accordingly, kindly help us with the following information.

• Which build off Windows 10 is installed on the machine?

(Search winver from the Start menu to know the same)
    • When you say documents disappeared after internet downtime, do you mean that the locally saved documents are missing from the PC or online?

Ideally, an ISP’s downtime shouldn’t make your documents disappear. I suggest you to search for the documents by the extension
    *.doc from the search bar in the file explorer
    and see if you’re able to find them. If you’re able to find them, it could be because of the change in the location.

You may also want to check if you’re signed into a temporary profile.
    For more troubleshooting tips on how to recover the missing files in Windows 10, I would suggest you to refer to the article:
    Find lost files in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Disappeared documents

1. Disappeared documents - Similar Threads - Disappeared documents

2. Documents library disappeared after disconnecting OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents library disappeared after disconnecting OneDrive: I disconnected OneDrive signed out and copied all the files to the local documents folder.After I did that, the Documents library completed disappeared from the 'Home' folder and sidebar.I cannot pin the local Documents folder to the sidebar, even after changing the...
  3. Documents library disappeared after disconnecting OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents library disappeared after disconnecting OneDrive: I disconnected OneDrive signed out and copied all the files to the local documents folder.After I did that, the Documents library completed disappeared from the 'Home' folder and sidebar.I cannot pin the local Documents folder to the sidebar, even after changing the...
  4. All my folders along with the documents within them disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders along with the documents within them disappeared: Since the update I have many documents that are now missing along with all of my folders that contained saved documents are all missing. This is crazy.! How do I get them back? ThanksTracy...
  5. All my folders along with the documents within them disappeared

All my folders along with the documents within them disappeared: Since the update I have many documents that are now missing along with all of my folders that contained saved documents are all missing. This is crazy.! How do I get them back? ThanksTracy...
  6. Important documents disappeared from one drive. have I been hacked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Important documents disappeared from one drive. have I been hacked?: Following a call to Microsoft who were unable to help me and reorientated me to this page, I have just discovered that all my documents saved to one drive under letters A and B have disappeared see belowThese include important files for my tax declarations, insurances etc.For...
  7. Important documents disappeared from one drive. have I been hacked?

Important documents disappeared from one drive. have I been hacked?: Following a call to Microsoft who were unable to help me and reorientated me to this page, I have just discovered that all my documents saved to one drive under letters A and B have disappeared see belowThese include important files for my tax declarations, insurances etc.For...
  8. Why did my files/documents, including my mail disappear overnight?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did my files/documents, including my mail disappear overnight?: Please let know what would make all my folder and documents disappear overnight. All my files were stored on my computer? Was there something in the last update that would cause this? A search of the C: drive showed none of the missing documents. The restore/recovery also...
  9. Why did my files/documents, including my mail disappear overnight?

Why did my files/documents, including my mail disappear overnight?: Please let know what would make all my folder and documents disappear overnight. All my files were stored on my computer? Was there something in the last update that would cause this? A search of the C: drive showed none of the missing documents. The restore/recovery also...
  10. After I updated graphic driver all my files: photos, videos, documents have disappeared and...

After I updated graphic driver all my files: photos, videos, documents have disappeared and...: It seems after I updated my graphic drivers all of my documents, pictures and videos have seemed to disappear. They are not in the recycle bin, can not be seen with a file backup app, it doesn't seem like I am in a temporary profile, so I have no idea where all of my files...