Windows 10: Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

Discus and support Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was sorting files for a backup and made the mistake of putting them all on my desktop. Then i opened a movie with VLC and tried to add a subtitle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by argibald, Oct 5, 2018.

1. argibald Win User

Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

I was sorting files for a backup and made the mistake of putting them all on my desktop. Then i opened a movie with VLC and tried to add a subtitle file from my desktop. This failed for some reason without VLC giving an error so i tried again. I dragged the file from my desktop to the VLC Window and as soon as i dropped it I saw all the files vanishing from my desktop in less than a millisecond. Way faster than it would take to delete them manually (i have a potato from 2005 so I noticed the difference). The only thing left on the desktop was the recycle bin. I already tried everything i could think of.

Here is what i did:
    - disabled network connection
    - checked recycle bin, Empty
    - refreshed / sorted desktop, nothing
    - checked Windows Defender and Eset for quarantined/deleted files, not the case
    - ran chkdsk, no errors
    - searched the whole disk for the files, no results
    - rebooted pc, everything seems to work fine
    - ran full in depth scan with Eset, everything fine
    - Put new files on desktop, rebooted, searched the internet for clues, rebooted again. Files are still there
    - tried recovery with EaseUs, found all sorts of deleted files, even files from long before formatting my hdd but not the disappeared ones.

I really have no idea what the problem is. The subtitle file may have been corrupted or something but why and where would the rest of the files go? It could be malware but that seems very unlikely as well. I was not browsing or installing anything. Also 2 weeks ago i formatted my disk and did a clean windows install. Windows is always updated. I have Eset Smartsecurity always up to date and I am serious about practicing safe internet behavior.

Some of the files were important and some of them contain sensitive and personal data so if anyone has any idea what could have happened to them, even if it's a long shot I'd be very happy to hear it.

The disk is a Seagate barracuda 2tb and i'm running windows 10 home 64bit.

:)

argibald, Oct 5, 2018

2. Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...may-have/d47c81e8-78d8-4d6a-bf0c-98decec85944

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

Desktop icons missing?

For some reason, between last night, when I OC'd, and sometime today, my desktop icons disappeared. I've tried downclocking to stock clocks, and enabling/disabling desktop icons does nothing. *Frown Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there :(

I've tried restarting, it doesn't help either. *Frown Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there :(

Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there 0d3bde3c.jpg

Radical_Edward, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

1. Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there - Similar Threads - Disappeared Files Desktop

2. Desktop icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon disappeared: The Desktop Canon printer icon disappearedHow to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-disappeared/4b3da210-d807-4d51-83e9-275e001532a1
  3. Desktop Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Disappearing: For no explainable reason, the Icons on my Desktop Recycle Bin etc have disappeared. I have tried going through Personalization and Themes and ticking the icons I want on my Desktop but it's not working. Any advice? Thanks in advance...
  4. Disappearance of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearance of desktop icons: I turned on my Windows 10 PC and noticed all my desktop icons were gone, with the exception of Recycle Bin. The Search box is also gone. The taskbar icons appear intact. Never seen that happen before. Any idea what may have happened, and is it possible to revert the situation...
  5. Desktop Icons Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappear: When I click on a blank area of my desktop, all of my icons disappear. If I click on the task bar, they return but if I try to launch a program, they all disappear and the program doesn't launch. 141653
  6. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  7. Desktop Icons Disappeared

Desktop Icons Disappeared: I have read the many posts with similar issues, but none of the recommendations are working for me. I've checked the show icons option, auto arrange, all of that. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10. Yesterday I bought a new Dell monitor and attached it with a VGA cable....
  8. Desktop icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop icons disappeared: I updated Windows version but all my desktop icons disappeared. It happened in October, it was the last Windows 10 update, I use Firefox and Toshiba laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-disappeared/40392b88-a4b8-4965-b5c1-20db78ddfa87
  9. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. just formatted hardrive and all desktop icons are still there

2. windows 10 desktop icons dissapear but recycle bin is still there