Windows 10: Disappearing files from desktop

Discus and support Disappearing files from desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, any help gratefully received. Trying to sort a problem out for a relative who was browsing yesterday and noticed her desktop, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mathemagic, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Disappearing files from desktop

Hello all, any help gratefully received.

Trying to sort a problem out for a relative who was browsing yesterday and noticed her desktop, which is normally decorated with lots of files and folders, suddenly showing almost nothing. There was nothing new in the recycle bin from that day but everything else that was expected to be in the recycle bin was there. It seems that she noticed the computer was dragging a bit whilst she was browsing.

Tried the usual things including a system restore (we had uninstalled the AVG Secure Browser the night before which had just appeared). Strangely, after the system restore, we thought we had recovered some of the missing work. However, it seems that any folders were restored along with any executable's, but none of the word documents, pdfs etc were restored including within the folders that did reappear.

Any ideas to try to recover the missing files gratefully received as some are used for school and, unfortunately, aren't backed up. (Yes I know!).

Thanks

Tony

:)

Mathemagic, Nov 23, 2019
  2. Neox99 Win User

Files disappearing from desktop

Saving files to my desktop causes them to disappear.

My desktop is clear save for the Recycle Bin - and NO the file is not hiding behind it.

File Viewer shows a file ON the desktop but it's nowhere to be found - viewport is completely blank.

Any suggestions?

Neox99, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Desktop Files Disappearing on Windows 10

I am not able to do this because the folder disappeared with the files. The folder was on the desktop and those steps cannot be done on the desktop folder

Jamie Morrow, Nov 23, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

Disappearing files from desktop

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

Disappearing files from desktop

1. Disappearing files from desktop - Similar Threads - Disappearing files desktop

2. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop: Restarted this morning after an update. All Excel files located on my desktop disappeared. Only old versions of them are showing up in my document files. Glitch?...
  3. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop: Restarted this morning after an update. All Excel files located on my desktop disappeared. Only old versions of them are showing up in my document files. Glitch?...
  4. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. my files from the desktop disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    my files from the desktop disappeared: It was just last night when I updated my laptop to windows 10, then the next morning, all of the files that were on the desktop vanished. The background resets on its default background which is a blue windows. Please help me....
  6. Files Disappearing from Desktop directory??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files Disappearing from Desktop directory??: A few months back a folder that I had sitting on my desktop that contained months worth of previous project files was essentially "cleared out". Recently I had a few whitepapers (.pdf) sitting on my desktop and they have disappeared. In both cases I checked if they became...
  7. File disappearing from desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File disappearing from desktop: While trying to fix save files from a game I cut and pasted 3 sub folders from 2 different folders to my desktop, so 6 folders total. The first 3 moved just fine, but on the second group of three it gave me the warning that 4 files were identical and asked what to do with...
  8. Desktop files disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop files disappeared: I was working today and 3/4 if my desktop folders just disappeared. I have searched by name and they are just gone. I ran the hard drive check and it appears okay and they are not in the recycle bin. Please help!...
  9. A file just disappeared from the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    A file just disappeared from the desktop: Hello everyone! I have a question/problem and I want to know if this ever happened to any of you. I was working on an Excel file, that was saved on my desktop, I saved it, closed it and when I clicked on it (the icon file on my desktop) it simply disappeared. I...
  10. Desktop Files Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Files Disappear: Over the past week, my desktop has been acting up. My files keep being deleted from my desktop. I used Everything Search to see if the files are just being moved, and they're not. They're completely wiped out. I ran a Windows Defender and it didn't come up with anything. I...