Windows 10: Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4?

Discus and support Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what's going on with a Surface Pro 4 machine running Windows 10. A user brings it to me and says he wants... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GlossyRaccoon, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4?

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what's going on with a Surface Pro 4 machine running Windows 10. A user brings it to me and says he wants Webroot removed and Avast installed, which I did. He also said he was having issues with his email sending out which I couldn't reproduce and assumed he was trying to send to an invalid address since even he was no longer having a problem.

He brings it back to me almost 2 weeks later and says all of his files are missing. To clarify, he had his user account, which is a Microsoft account, someone elses user account, also a Microsoft account which he set up temporarily but admitted he no longer uses it. This other Microsoft account is still currently used by someone else on another machine. Anyhow, I look in the Users folder and see his account, the other account, and two other accounts which aren't showing up at the log-in screen, as well as four TEMP."USER".00x. The two other accounts that weren't showing up at login had lots of data which I transferred over to his current account. The TEMP accounts have nothing in them other than an empty AppData folder. After sorting everything out, he brings it back the next day and says that when he goes to open his files, like a Word document for example, it's blank. I start it in front of him and everything I had transferred is missing. The second user account he said he never used is also no longer showing up and he is now the only user showing up at the log in screen.

Other than a few software icons on the desktop, there was a empty folder labeled 'Desktop' on the desktop, an empty 'Documents' folder inside the documents folder, etc. To make things weirder, there's a My Documents folder on the desktop with 40GB of data, but the only way I can view it is by using a recovery program. Yes, I enabled hidden files and folders as well as system files. Show desktop icons is also enabled. However, none of the desktop data is there. After recovering the My Documents folder that was on the desktop to another hard drive, none of his desktop data is there. It's all gone.

If someone is still reading this, my main question is, am I losing my mind, is this a weird Windows 10 bug, or is this guy screwing up his machine and just pulling my leg? The SSD tested good. I've run chkdsk from Windows, as well as at boot up and no problems were found. System Restore and File History are also both disabled. I've checked all of the AppData folders as well as the Public folder and his missing data isn't in any of those directories.

Any help or insight would be great because I haven't got a clue what to tell this guy other than suggesting the problem is him messing with the machine. Thank you.

:)

GlossyRaccoon, Aug 12, 2016
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 12, 2016
  3. MYOB files have disappeared

I am using a Surface Pro with Windows 10 and my MYOB files and the entire program have disappeared. Was working fine this morning and now gone. Any ideas?

Rhonda Gregor, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4?

No one has any idea at all?

GlossyRaccoon, Aug 16, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    Have you looked on "OneDrive"?

dencal, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Yup. It's got a few files but none of the missing files.

GlossyRaccoon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4?

1. Disappearing Files on Surface Pro 4? - Similar Threads - Disappearing Files Surface

2. Microsoft surface pro 4 Mouse cursor disappear

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft surface pro 4 Mouse cursor disappear: Microsoft surface pro 4 Mouse cursor disappear when it happen need to log off and login then cursor is visible windows update did successfully even Microsoft surface Arc mouse driver reinstalled Bluetooth driver update but still issue reoccur how i will...
  3. Surface pro 4

Surface pro 4: Will not allow use of mouse and it is showing red as usual. Restart and shutdown were done. Also can't delete numerous emails using shift. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-4/7672285a-3b80-40cd-951b-38b76f76bc2e
  4. Surface Pro 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface Pro 4: I have an issue where when I switch on my Surface Pro 4 it boots are far as the screen saver and shows at the bottom that it is in Flight Mode only, no wifi etc. It also states the camera not available and requests sign in with pin which it will not accept or my password will...
  5. Camera Disappeared from Surface Pro 4

Camera Disappeared from Surface Pro 4: A while back, I noticed my camera stopped working for my Surface Pro 4. I wasn't really concerned about it, so I didn't look into it at the time, but now I'm looking to use it and I can't get it to work. Below is the error I get when opening camera: [ATTACH] I've followed...
  6. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro 4: System and Firmware Update. 115195
  7. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Updates available Surface Pro 4. 57858
  8. Surface Pro 4

Surface Pro 4: Quite a large system update available today. 47842
  9. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: Anyone else think it will run cooler than the Surface Pro 3? Anyone experienced this? 28169
  10. Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 4: So when am I going to be able to get a nice fanless SP4 machine to match this nice Windows 10 build! My SP3 is great, but starting to feel slightly tired (keyboard is looking very worn out) and fan always spins. Time for a refresh soon once SP4 comes out! 8304