Windows 10: Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

Discus and support Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (G:) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Andreas_Georgiou, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (GDisappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) :) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly reduced with the latest (1903) but still occurs under certain circumstances which is critical as it causes backups to fail.

Issue 1 Run backup and set Laptop to shut down after validation of backup to external USB HDD. Next day power up laptop with external USB drive still plugged in, then when you try to safely remove the drive there is no USB icon in the tray and the external USB drive appears as Internal drive G: whilst internal DRIVE1 G: is not there and not accessible.

As it is not possible to safely remove the external drive, Laptop is shut down, external drive unplugged, then Laptop repowered up, hey presto all drives appear as normal, very concerned about drive detection and file reliability of latest windows updates.

Have seen similar posts with DRIVE1 disappearing a year or so ago and have experienced this too but somehow these issues are reported in different ways and do not seem to be categorised and collated, I think AI could be very useful here!

:)

Andreas_Georgiou, Jun 26, 2019
  2. JoeNamco Win User

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

using a USB makes it a external drive to the system. suggest that you do some research on USB vs SATA.

JoeNamco, Jun 26, 2019
  3. JordanGS Win User
    Why is a USB 3.0 external hard drive is performing faster than internal hard drives?

Why is my USB 3.0 connected external hard drive transferring files quicker than my two internal drives? I am using Windows 10.

1. Internal Primary: 1TB NVMe Samsung SSD 960 (PCIe Connected)
    2. Internal Storage: 4TB WDC WD40E31X (SATA Connected)
    3. External Storage: 2TB USB 3.0 Interface Hard Drive

Now I have a 6.5GB Movie file on my Samsung 960 Pro which I copy to my 4TB WD internal at a rate of 100MB/s

I have the same exact file on my 2TB USB external hard drive which transfers to the same 4TB internal storage Hard Drive at 175MB/s

The same holds true if I try to move 20 large movie files.

Here are some benchmark results from two tools.

Performance Test 9:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) iLbe0.png

User BenchMark:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) t4QNm.png

I had to remove the links for the drives because i don't have enough reputation to add the benchmark results Can someone please add them back

JordanGS, Jun 26, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

1. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) - Similar Threads - Disappearing Hard drives

2. USB not recognizing external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  3. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  4. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  5. Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector: The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager. 40757
  6. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831
  7. Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external.

Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external.: hello i have 4 hard disk on my pc 3 hhd and one ssd on ahci mode but the Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external why? [img] 85077
  8. USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10: I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not...
  9. internal hard drives showing as external removable devices

internal hard drives showing as external removable devices: I just finished building my new pc and my hard drives which I moved over from my old computer are showing in device manager and windows media player as portable devices. How to I get them to show up as internal My system is AMD Ryzen 1400. Asrock AB350 Pro4 motherboard,...
  10. RAW external hard drive after making it internal

RAW external hard drive after making it internal: So here's what happened. I've decided to make my 1TB WD external HDD to aninternal one, I connected it internally using SATA, booted up Windows, and found it wasn't displayed in my computer. I tried to assign a drive letter and initialize it, make it active but it stays at...