Windows 10: Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

Discus and support Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (G:) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Andreas_Georgiou, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (GDisappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) :) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly reduced with the latest (1903) but still occurs under certain circumstances which is critical as it causes backups to fail.

Issue 1 Run backup and set Laptop to shut down after validation of backup to external USB HDD. Next day power up laptop with external USB drive still plugged in, then when you try to safely remove the drive there is no USB icon in the tray and the external USB drive appears as Internal drive G: whilst internal DRIVE1 G: is not there and not accessible.

As it is not possible to safely remove the external drive, Laptop is shut down, external drive unplugged, then Laptop repowered up, hey presto all drives appear as normal, very concerned about drive detection and file reliability of latest windows updates.

Have seen similar posts with DRIVE1 disappearing a year or so ago and have experienced this too but somehow these issues are reported in different ways and do not seem to be categorised and collated, I think AI could be very useful here!

:)

Andreas_Georgiou, Jun 26, 2019
  2. JoeNamco Win User

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

using a USB makes it a external drive to the system. suggest that you do some research on USB vs SATA.

JoeNamco, Jun 26, 2019
  3. JordanGS Win User
    Why is a USB 3.0 external hard drive is performing faster than internal hard drives?

Why is my USB 3.0 connected external hard drive transferring files quicker than my two internal drives? I am using Windows 10.

1. Internal Primary: 1TB NVMe Samsung SSD 960 (PCIe Connected)
    2. Internal Storage: 4TB WDC WD40E31X (SATA Connected)
    3. External Storage: 2TB USB 3.0 Interface Hard Drive

Now I have a 6.5GB Movie file on my Samsung 960 Pro which I copy to my 4TB WD internal at a rate of 100MB/s

I have the same exact file on my 2TB USB external hard drive which transfers to the same 4TB internal storage Hard Drive at 175MB/s

The same holds true if I try to move 20 large movie files.

Here are some benchmark results from two tools.

Performance Test 9:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) iLbe0.png

User BenchMark:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) t4QNm.png

I had to remove the links for the drives because i don't have enough reputation to add the benchmark results Can someone please add them back

JordanGS, Jun 26, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

1. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA) - Similar Threads - Disappearing Hard drives

2. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both internal hard drives have disappeared!: I have two internal hard drives in my PC, E and F in addition to the C drive - SSD, where I store and backup all my data.Yesterday, I was deleting some I thought unnecessary files from my oem folder, in preparation for a Windows 10 reinstall.Today, when I open the PC, both E...
  3. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Both internal hard drives have disappeared!: I have two internal hard drives in my PC, E and F in addition to the C drive - SSD, where I store and backup all my data.Yesterday, I was deleting some I thought unnecessary files from my oem folder, in preparation for a Windows 10 reinstall.Today, when I open the PC, both E...
  4. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't activate my license after switching external hard drive to internal SATA

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate my license after switching external hard drive to internal SATA: Hi. I recently switched the hard drive containing my Windows OS Windows 10 Home from an external setup connected via USB to an internal setup with the drive connected via SATA cables.I got the machine to boot up like normal, but now Windows is telling me that I can't activate...
  6. Is it possible to transfer memory from an external SATA hard drive to an internal hard...

Is it possible to transfer memory from an external SATA hard drive to an internal hard...: Hello,I seek knowledge into finding out if this endeavour of mine can be solved. When I say to transfer memory from my external SATA hard drive to my PC's main internal hard drive, I would like to indicate that my main memory is full, and I have connected my external SATA...
  7. External Hard Drive Disappeared

External Hard Drive Disappeared: I have three computers in my office. I have something called a DROBO on the network. Up until about two weeks ago all three computers could see DROBO. All of a sudden one can no longer see it. Any suggestions?...
  8. External hard drive not detected (USB 3.0, SATA)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive not detected (USB 3.0, SATA): Hi. I'm trying to connect an external hard drive to my PC but it won't show up. Best I can do with it is light it up. If I connect it to a USB 2.0 port, it keeps on disconnecting as it should. But on 3.0 ports, it either lights up or doesnt light up but not show up at all....
  9. Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector: The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager. 40757
  10. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831