Windows 10: Disappearing restore points

Discus and support Disappearing restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I created a restore point and at some time later, it disappears. After today's update for a security update for flash player, it's gone to be replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wptski, Feb 5, 2015.

1. wptski Win User

Disappearing restore points

I created a restore point and at some time later, it disappears. After today's update for a security update for flash player, it's gone to be replaced by one for the update which is normal. I've been noticing this for a while.

Later that restore point disappeared also. I think that happened after I created an ISO from the ESD file using the well known converter.

:)

wptski, Feb 5, 2015
  2. Zonbon Win User

Disappearing Restore Points

Totally agree, and customers defending Microsoft about crucial bugs are the ultimate suckers.

Despite "Max Usage" slider being set as before, and Volume Shadow Copy services running, all my restore points HAVE DISAPPEARED since yesterday. There was no update in the meantime.

The problem reported here is only one of many majors flaws in Windows 10. To rely on forums and users to fix problems in a product is a crying shame, which is not excused by voluntary, random appearances by well-meaning but often inexperienced and helpless
    Microsoft people. It's not their fault: it has become a losing battle since the fiasco of Windows 8. The whole thing has become too complex. Pretending to mix mobile toy-like touch features with professional, corporate, and mission critical applications in
    one OS was the dumbest decision ever made at that level of worldwide business. Only a total realignment of priorities at Microsoft, with proper support of each customer at the core of the business -meaning a slowdown of development in order to reassign a
    great many experienced people to support- would save us all from computing chaos.

Just to prevent patronizing bad-faith replies: I have 34 years computing experience starting with the Apple 2 and have installed, configured, and maintained scores of every Window version except Win 98 and Win ME. starting with Windows 1.

Zonbon, Feb 5, 2015
  3. Disappearing Restore Points

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

Try this step which will fix teh system restore issues.

1. Click on start type in SERVICES.MSC and hit enter

2. Search for Volume Shadow Copy service, right click on that and choose properties.

3. Start up type : Automatic and service status : Started

Restart the computer, your issue might be fixed.

Please reply with the results, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Feb 5, 2015
  4. Berkey Win User

Have you set enough space to retain previous restore points? Once you go over the amount set things will erase themselves

Disappearing restore points [​IMG]

Berkey, Feb 5, 2015
  5. wptski Win User
    My W7 and W10 are the same size drives with both set the same. W7 retains numerous restore points.

wptski, Feb 5, 2015
  6. Berkey Win User
    Hmm, not sure I've read about any bugs on this, but I haven't played with 10 for the past week, so I haven't created many restore points in that time. Do you run any other programs that have restore point capability? Perhaps the service is not active? Also if you dual boot I believe restore points can be deleted

Berkey, Feb 5, 2015
  7. wptski Win User
    At first I found it disabled which I found odd. Yeah, I dual but I know for a fact that it doesn't delete restore points on the W7 because I just used it less than a week ago.

wptski, Feb 5, 2015
  8. Berkey Win User

Are Volume Shadow Copy & Task Scheduler & Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Services all enabled?

Did you run System file checker or Disk Check? Anything in the eventlogs in eventvwr.msc?

I thought I read before about resetting the repository when dealing with restore point issues, but I can't say I've even done that myself, so I won't suggest it, other than looking for information about it.

Berkey, Feb 5, 2015
  9. wptski Win User
    All three services are enabled. Anything in events?? Events in W10 are a jumbled mess of repetitious events unlike W7.

The restore point created yesterday is gone today but there was a system generated CHKDSK of my W10 when I booted into W7. This was caused by me trying to pull the ESD image file from a backup image on my Paragon HDM15S.

I wasn't paying attention to this before but getting back to the disk space set for restore points. It's set at 10%/750GB which is roughly 68GB. Like I mention, no restore points found today yet it shows 66GB as being used so something is wrong.

wptski, Feb 5, 2015
  10. wptski Win User
    My bad 66GB must be the usable part of the 68.8GB because when I created a restore point that value dropped by almost 1.5GB.

wptski, Feb 5, 2015
  11. wptski Win User
    Before Windows installs an update, it creates a restore point although W10 doesn't show that it's doing so in W7, it does. This restore point should still be there from yesterday which it "did" create, yet it's not. I'm on a duel boot with W7 on separate physical drives which may have something to do with it. A certain sequence of events is causing this.

Much good a restore point is if it isn't there when you need it!

wptski, Feb 10, 2015
  12. TomKunzo Win User
    The whole thing is that the wizards at Microsoft who gave us Windows 10 are very quiet about the whole sorry episode.
    Perhaps they can only cause this problem but cannot put things right!
    Perhaps they don't make programmers like they used to!

TomKunzo, Mar 14, 2016
  13. jeffrys Win User

Well Tom, the programmers at MS gain enough to perform at their best.

As an example, for months i do not have my Homegroup back and i know by experience that to do so, i always needs to start from scratch.

Do not want to do that. I mentionned this in the feedback several times at MS, no reply, no solution.

Jeff

jeffrys, Mar 14, 2016
  14. TomKunzo Win User
    Perhaps if you are living in the US, you can bring this up to the top honchos in Microsoft.
    They shouldn't be abandoning their users and leave them in the lurch like this!!!

TomKunzo, Mar 15, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

1. Disappearing restore points - Similar Threads - Disappearing restore points

2. Even new restore points disappear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Even new restore points disappear: I've read here that restore points disappear after a Windows update. Understood. But two days ago I decided to create and name a new restore point before downloading a program. System protection is turn on. The system verified that it was created. I've allocated 10% of space...
  3. System Restore Points Disappear

System Restore Points Disappear: I am on Win 10 64 V 20043. On my Lenovo laptop I recently had a major problem with no Audio suddenly-Synaptics Audio. I did get it fixed on 17 December and promptly created a System restore point. I also did another Restore point a few days later. The dreaded Audio...
  4. System Restore Points disappeared

System Restore Points disappeared: I reinstalled Windows 10, and Configured System Restore to "Turn on system protection," and set Max Usage to 260 GB. Then I created a System Restore Point after each installation of software Chrome, Office, Zoom, Deluge. I shut down and restarted Windows. I periodically...
  5. System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]

System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]: System Restore Point Disappeared after a few hours of creating it. After a thorough investigation, I found it was the Carbonite cloud backup program actually its service that was responsible for that. Disabling the service or uninstalling the program resolved the issue....
  6. System restore points (all) disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore points (all) disappear: Hi everyone: New laptop. It seems for no reason i can find that all of my system restore point suddenly disappear daily and at no specific time. For no reason. I've even tried to task make automatically make restore points, i've stopped using clean up programs thinking that...
  7. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  8. Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing

Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing: I've yet to detect a pattern but this is getting very annoying. Just went into System Protection to check if the several SRs that were there a week or so ago are still present - and they're not. I've had several reboots and Win 10 updates in that period, but they always used...
  9. System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points

System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points: My system restore points have disappeared, I am running windows 10 on a laptop with office 365 and I was trying to get my one drive to sign in. I went into the system restore and I purposely added restore points since I was doing some updates over the weekend and not one...
  10. restore point disappears

restore point disappears: this problem is continuing from win xp pro, I was hoping after the upgrade to win 10 it would be fixed After creating a restore point, I get a success message, and the newly created restore point shows up for something like 5-10 minutes, then its gone 46130