Windows 10: Disappearing restore points

Discus and support Disappearing restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; has there been any resolution to this issue? I face the same on a single boot windows 10. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wptski, Feb 5, 2015.

1. marymmcc Win User

Disappearing restore points

has there been any resolution to this issue? I face the same on a single boot windows 10.

marymmcc, Sep 4, 2016

2. wptski I don’t do dual booting but I did some research on your issue
    There are plenty of ideas but I haven’t seen a single solution yet for native usage.
    When you say
    “I think that happened after I created an ISO from the ESD file using the well known converter.”
    Does that mean that maintaining system restore points on each one of the two OS’s were not an issue before then?

marymmcc check your Disk Space Usage and Virtual Memory
    If those settings are ok for you, consider Delete all restore points for this drive to start over and see what happens.
    Do you use any optimization programs that maintain backup information on your computer?

Disappearing restore points [​IMG]

MeAndMyComputer, Sep 5, 2016
  3. marymmcc Win User
    My disk space usage 25g and virtual memory settings are OK (6g swap and 4g memory). I do not have restore points to delete. Even when I manually create a point, it disappears if I create another.

marymmcc, Sep 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Using some defrag programs has been known to cause restore points to vanish as may some cleaning tools.

Is your allocated space too small?

Note: I currently have 14 in 6Gb. (I don't know if that leaves room for more).

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  5. Do you use any optimization programs that maintain on your computer?

MeAndMyComputer, Sep 6, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ccleaner - nothing else.

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  7. Ponura89 Win User
    After latest windows 10 update I spotted same issue when tried to use restore point. Was someone lucky to figure out solution ?
    Also I can´t see option for backing up in disk properties as used to. The one when you right click disk and select tools tab, makes me sad.

Ponura89, Dec 20, 2016
  8. damufl Win User

Not a solution but an observation. Double-booting W7 / W10 deletes all restore points in W10, but leaves W7 restore points intact. Same issue with XP / W7 (older OS deletes restore points of newer; in the case of XP, MS documented that somewhere). Double-booting 2 instances of W7 or 2 instances of W10 does not delete restore points. Because of these problems, I rely on non-MS partition imaging tools, and archive the images on external disks - takes a bit longer, but I never had any problems with that approach.

damufl, Dec 30, 2016
  9. Flissa Win User
    This happened to me and I tried every trick in the book to solve it including all on this forum. I 'fiddle and tweak' a lot so restore points are very important to me. I found a nice little free program called Restore Point Creator! Brilliant. You can schedule regular creation points in any combination of time you need. Gives lots of info about the points created etc. I am in restore heaven. Would highly recommend you give this a try. Hope this helps. Regards .

Flissa, Dec 30, 2016
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    I've had that problem for a while now. It started a couple years back when I had 7 64 & 8.1 64 on the same disk & would hold the restore points for 7, 1st OS on the disk, but they always disappeared on 8.1. Right now I have 3 OS's on one disk & only 1 keeps the restore points.

Apparently Windows doesn't like 2 or more OS's on the same disk & one will have to go without restore points. But as WHS mentioned, you can make images, which I do on a regular basis.

I did some research into the problem but never found a workable solution.

Borg 386, Dec 30, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    If dual booting no matter if on same disk or separate ones, each one should be set so restore points are made just for that disk/partition.

CountMike, Dec 31, 2016
  12. Borg 386 Win User
    Well yes, that's how it should work. You would think there wouldn't be a problem being that the OS's are on 2 different partitions. But for some reason, people keep running into this problem & it's frustrating at the least, a PIA at the worst if you don't have backups & your OS gets hosed.

I was surprised to see my restore points disappearing from 10 as well, I would have thought there might not be a problem with the newer OS, but it looks like the same problem has carried over.

Borg 386, Dec 31, 2016
  13. Borg 386 Win User

Brink pointed me to a workaround that helped for the same issue when dual booting XP & Vista/7. Apparently the restore points being deleted has been a problem that long and he suggested perhaps it may work in this instance.

System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disappearing restore points - Similar Threads - Disappearing restore points

2. Even new restore points disappear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Even new restore points disappear: I've read here that restore points disappear after a Windows update. Understood. But two days ago I decided to create and name a new restore point before downloading a program. System protection is turn on. The system verified that it was created. I've allocated 10% of space...
  3. System Restore Points Disappear

System Restore Points Disappear: I am on Win 10 64 V 20043. On my Lenovo laptop I recently had a major problem with no Audio suddenly-Synaptics Audio. I did get it fixed on 17 December and promptly created a System restore point. I also did another Restore point a few days later. The dreaded Audio...
  4. System Restore Points disappeared

System Restore Points disappeared: I reinstalled Windows 10, and Configured System Restore to "Turn on system protection," and set Max Usage to 260 GB. Then I created a System Restore Point after each installation of software Chrome, Office, Zoom, Deluge. I shut down and restarted Windows. I periodically...
  5. System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]

System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]: System Restore Point Disappeared after a few hours of creating it. After a thorough investigation, I found it was the Carbonite cloud backup program actually its service that was responsible for that. Disabling the service or uninstalling the program resolved the issue....
  6. System restore points (all) disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore points (all) disappear: Hi everyone: New laptop. It seems for no reason i can find that all of my system restore point suddenly disappear daily and at no specific time. For no reason. I've even tried to task make automatically make restore points, i've stopped using clean up programs thinking that...
  7. Restore Points keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points keep disappearing: Hello Everyone, I've read some other threads here about system restore points missing or being deleted - but I haven't noticed an accepted solution or possible troubleshooting tips that have helped. I have a new Dell Inspiron (see specs under avatar) that I purchased 3...
  8. Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing

Sytem Restore points frequently disappearing: I've yet to detect a pattern but this is getting very annoying. Just went into System Protection to check if the several SRs that were there a week or so ago are still present - and they're not. I've had several reboots and Win 10 updates in that period, but they always used...
  9. System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points

System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points: My system restore points have disappeared, I am running windows 10 on a laptop with office 365 and I was trying to get my one drive to sign in. I went into the system restore and I purposely added restore points since I was doing some updates over the weekend and not one...
  10. restore point disappears

restore point disappears: this problem is continuing from win xp pro, I was hoping after the upgrade to win 10 it would be fixed After creating a restore point, I get a success message, and the newly created restore point shows up for something like 5-10 minutes, then its gone 46130

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore points disappearing