Windows 10: Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update?

Discus and support Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; With some update troubles that erased user data, is there any point in disconnecting all my internal drives but C when doing a version upgrade of 10 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/scion009, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update?

With some update troubles that erased user data, is there any point in disconnecting all my internal drives but C when doing a version upgrade of 10 to 1909. (I'm still on 1511).

submitted by /u/scion009
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/scion009, Dec 28, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Win 10 won't boot, if I disconnect secondary drive(s)

1. Download: Macrium Rescue ISO 6.1.1000 and use: Rufus - Create bootable USB to create a USB Boot.
    2. Disconnect Disk 1 from your PC
    3. Boot up your PC using the USB in step 1
    4. Follow the screen shot to fix Windows Boot

Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Boris12 Win User
    Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

After reading the article carefully, I started with the simple steps first.

1. Disabling MS One Drive was not necessary because I disable it right away when the machine was out of the box.

2. Turning off Fast Startup did not help. The drive was recognized upon Restart but then lost in about an hour.

Following other suggestions in the article was not successful.

For example, their step 3 reads: “Wait for the list of installed apps to appear. When the list appears, locate Seagate software and click the Uninstall button.”

However, there are no apps on my computer that are named Seagate whatever.

Likewise, I could not reinstall Paragon drivers because I could not find them on my computer in the first place.

I left a comment on the web page but have no idea if anybody will read it.

Studying Seagate website, found this page: Will my Seagate drive work with Windows 10? | Seagate Support US
    according to which, my drive should work.

My N: drive is from the “Backup Plus Family”. It points to an “HFS driver 9.1 or higher”.
    Dell’s Device manager lists MS Diver version 10.0.17763.1, dated 6/21/2006 as the most current driver for this drive.

Should I download the HFS driver, and then go to “Update Driver” > Locate and install driver s/w manually ?

If yes, where (which folder) should the HFS driver be placed properly for Windows to see it?

Thank you!

Boris12, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update?

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update?

1. Disconnect all drives but C for 10 update? - Similar Threads - Disconnect drives update

2. C drive quit on Win 10 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive quit on Win 10 update.: C drive started as Win 7, later loaded Win 10. All's been good til last update. PC loads to windows sign in and won't go further. Advised to try Win recovery disc. Surprise!! Recovery was for Win 7. Have total mess. How do I get back to Win 10?...
  3. Booting new drive to Windows as C without disconnecting ?

Booting new drive to Windows as C without disconnecting ?: I cloned a drive SSD to Nvme but I was informed that I must physically disconnect the SSD just to get Windows to boot as C from the Nvme; otherwise Windows will continue to boot as C from the SSD, is there another way to do this without the requirement to physically...
  4. Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.

Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.: Does anybody know if there is a way to disconnect drives (other than the current OS C: drive) without physically unplugging them? I get confused when I see the other drive partitions where I'm going to install Windows but I also find physically unplugging the drives a pain....
  5. C:/ Drive No Access At All

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:/ Drive No Access At All: I Have Tried Multiple Ways To Gain Access Back To My Main User Account And Non Of Them Have Worked Each Time "Access Is Denied" Even With Administror Account and Safe Mode Control Panel. I Accidently Disabled All Permissions But Read On My leepa user account on c drive and...
  6. Windows 10 update and c. Drive full

Windows 10 update and c. Drive full: i have a fujitsu lifebook AH532. I have the windows 10 upgrade telling me my c drive full and one d drive that is empty. Can anyone advise me how to proceed please?...
  7. NO SPACE ON DRIVE C UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 10

NO SPACE ON DRIVE C UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 10: Cant perform updates to windows 10, I have 32G on drive C almost full and cant create 8GB but I have an SD with 20GB free but the upgrade window is not giving me the option to install the updates on the SD...
  8. Windows 10 forced update deletes all of drive C:

Windows 10 forced update deletes all of drive C:: I was using my homebuild Asus P8P67Pro Sandybridge i5 3700, system disk Samsung 850, yesterday (9 Jan), and as I shut down about midday Win 10 forced an update on me. It'd done it before and nothing went wrong then, but it had not yet done the dreaded Autumn update. When I...
  9. Lost all files in C Drive.

Lost all files in C Drive.: I need help from technical support urgently. I lost all my files in all folders - Music, Download etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-all-files-in-c-drive/2c95561b-1182-47fe-8b2f-96cf46b9c2c6"
  10. disconnect hub rather than disconnecting all drives on the hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disconnect hub rather than disconnecting all drives on the hub: Good Day All Just curious if it is safe to disconnect a usb hub rather than going down the line to disconnect all the drives on the hub? all help is greatly appreciated DME 100075