Windows 10: Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

Discus and support Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just posted another question that got answered to download treesizefree. I did, and it showed me that the heavy storage on my PC was due to Iphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JasonBeck4, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

I just posted another question that got answered to download treesizefree.

I did, and it showed me that the heavy storage on my PC was due to Iphone file backups. I removed them

But it is still saying that there is only 32GB of free space of 212GB, but my drive is only 90GB. How can this be?

Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives ef0bccaa-26a8-491d-9d68-2a1ce364abdd?upload=true.png

:)

JasonBeck4, Aug 31, 2019

2. Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

According to 'Properties' in Windows Explorer, my C drive (one of four partitions on my primary drive) has 296GB 'Used Space' and 272GB 'Free Space', giving a total partition size of 568GB. However, if I add up the total space occupied by all the folders
    and files on C drive that are listed in Windows Explorer they come to roughly 44GB. (The largest folder is Windows (19.5GB), followed by Users (9GB) and Program Files (5.8GB). The rest of the folders are smaller than this.). Nearly all my applications, data,
    photos, videos, backups etc are on the other three partitions on the primary hard drive or on a secondary internal hard drive.

Can anyone suggest what accounts for the HUGE discrepancy between the reported 'Used Space' and the total of the actual folders/files? I first noticed this when backing up my C drive using Acronis TrueImage, which yields a back up file of 218GB - presumably
    the 296GB with some compression. A few months back I recall that the Acronis backup files were sized at around 60-70GB, so there's something funny going on! If there is some giant folder or file that is lurking on my C drive, what could it be and why isn't
    it showing up in Windows Explorer?

Peter Brigg, Aug 31, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Make disc space available

Hi Don

If you only have 900MB of free space on your hard drive, you really do need to make quite a bit of space on your hard drive. Window and all applications will be struggling badly with only that amount of free space . . .

What size is your Internal Storage (hard drive)?

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

If you still need to glean more space on your hard drive, please let me know . .

DaveM121, Aug 31, 2019
  4. eztyc Win User

Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

Windows 10 Displaying Incorrect Total Size of Drive. [Fixed: Was problem on Mac OS displaying incorrect total size]

Hi, I currently use a MacBook Pro and am Dualbooting Windows 10.

The problem I noticed with Windows 10 is that it doesn't seem it display the correct size or free space of the drive.

My SSD is 256GB, I understand that it shouldn't display the full 256GB. On Mac OS it recognises the drive as having 250GB.

But on Windows it shows that the drive is only 233GB.

When I was partitioning space for boot camp, I partitioned 100GB for Windows, and 150GB for OS X. In OS X it says the Windows Partition has a total space of 98GB and 148GB for the Mac OS partition.

However on Windows 10, the Windows Partition only shows a total size of 93GB, and only 140GB for my OS X Partition.

This is a huge discrepancy between the two, and I was wondering how I can get Windows to recognise the FULL SIZE of the drive, and the partitions.

Thanks.

Update: It seems that Mac shows storage differently... I have a total space of 251,000,193,024 bytes, which IS 233GB but Mac shows it as 251GB...

eztyc, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

1. Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives - Similar Threads - Disconnect between available

2. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  3. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  4. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  5. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB total size 0.0 MB Free space During Windows Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB total size 0.0 MB Free space During Windows Installation: So here my BIOS information, I can't install Windows 10 whatsoever and the SATA Ports 0 and 1 are not installed for some reason, this problem happened overnight for no apparent reason. It was working fine before I entered BIOS. Once I restarted my PC It wouldn't boot into...
  7. Drive 0 Unallocated Space Total size 0.0 Free space 0.0

Drive 0 Unallocated Space Total size 0.0 Free space 0.0: Hello, I have tried multiple methods to resolve this issue. I would request you experts to help me. My machine is Sony Vaio SVF15319SNB with a Intel chipset QM87 According to product description on internet. I am trying to install windows 10 64Bit using a USB...
  8. External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer: My desktop PC has v1909 Build 18363.900. I just noticed using Explorer in tile view that the disk size & free space of Drive G: which is Seagate Expansion drive is not reported. The details are there if I right click on the drive. I have another Expansion Drive which is...
  9. Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB total size 0.0 MB Free space During Windows Installation

Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB total size 0.0 MB Free space During Windows Installation: MBI'm trying to re-install windows 10 via USB installation media but I get to windows setup screen that shows me Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB total size 0.0 MB Free space ! This partition is too small. Make the size of this partition at least 9395MB or...
  10. Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up: I'm trying to free up my hard disk for Windows updates but the numbers don't add up. In folder options I chose both "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files". I tried Disk Cleanup and scanned with Windows Defenders but...