Windows 10: Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

Discus and support Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by THX1138, Oct 8, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process without this aspect. Is it possible for Windows 10 to save and recall the relative positions of displays?

:)

THX1138, Oct 8, 2017

2. Duplicate Display on an external monitor & a projector

Monitor 3 (connected to the j5 USB to VGA adaptor offers only two choices:

Extend Desktop to this display OR Disconnect this display.

KenSleeman, Oct 8, 2017
  3. Desktop showing on two monitors

I am set up with a main display (my HP laptop) and a second (Dell) monitor extended mode.

I originally had all my desktop ICON showing only on my main display, but now there are a few showing on the second monitor (and not on the main display).

I want them all on the main display and still want to maintain my extended arrangement.

What do I need to do?

1257Scooter, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

Which "display settings menu" are you using? I just press the Windows Logo key *Start and the P key, then select what mode I want. Windows remembers what display was where. I only ever have to adjust the layout once after a clean install. I switch from Extend to PC Only and back when playing games.

alphanumeric, Oct 12, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    This screenshot shows the display settings menu. It allows individual monitors to be disconnected and reconnected and moved around in relation to each other.

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement [​IMG]

This video shows what happens to the monitor arrangement when a single monitor is disconnected and then reconnected. The purpose of disconnecting monitors and reconnecting them in this way is to prevent the cursor from moving to an unused display which makes it harder to find, to prevent wasted electricity on unused resources and maintain system performance that would be spent on unnecessary calculations inside the transistors that make a monitor display things.

[youtube]egjZXHDoQIU[/youtube]

THX1138, Oct 12, 2017
  6. I don't think there is an easy way around what your doing. Windows likely forgets all about a display when you disconnect it. When you re connect it, it just treats it as a new display. I only ever switch between PC Only and Extend. I never have the need to just remove one monitor.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

1. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement - Similar Threads - Disconnecting extending desktop

2. New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons: Everytime I save a new file to the desktop, the icon for the file places itself in the top left spot and re-arranges the existing order. -I have unchecked the "Auto arrange icons" options. -The "Allow themes to change dektop icons" boc is also unchecked. -All the Display...
  3. New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons: Everytime I save a new file to the desktop, the icon for the file places itself in the top left spot and re-arranges the existing order. -I have unchecked the "Auto arrange icons" options. -The "Allow themes to change dektop icons" boc is also unchecked. -All the Display...
  4. Desktop icons keep re-arranging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons keep re-arranging: Why do my desktop icons get rearranged each time a start up or even when I click on one of the icons and then come back to the desktop? This is very annoying. [Original Title: Desktop icons]...
  5. Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays

Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays: Hello Community, I am using following setup: Surface Pro 5th Gen Intel Core i7 @ 2.5 GHz 16 GB Ram 64-Bit 512 GB Storage Windows 10 Pro Workspace 1 home office: Connected to 2nd Display via Surface Dock 2 only show on Display 2 Workspace 2 school office: Connected...
  6. windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...

windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...: I use multiple programs and/or windows and I arrange them on main and extended display. Every time I disconnect the second display (4k display) and use only main (laptop) display, or opposite - when I reconnect the extended display - I have to rearrange the windows allover...
  7. Dual display (extended desktop)

Dual display (extended desktop): difficult to get mouse cursor to go from display 1 to display 2 (set to extended desktop. Cursor stops at right end of display 1 and will only move to display 2 after multiple tries—sometimes taking 2 or 3 minutes....
  8. Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop?

Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop?: I have the occasional case (maybe once per week) that Windows decides to re-arrange my desktop icons each and every time I change *anything* on the desktop (e.g. move an existing icon or add another one) but apparently also sometimes "out-of-the-blue". *Mad Then my carefully...
  9. Desktop Arrangement

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Arrangement: Hello everybody! Today I encountered a problem: Windows 10 automatically arranges my desktop after using full screen apps. A dont know what is happening and what to do. Please help. 54279
  10. Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves: I'm resurrecting this because I've finally been able to narrow down what's happening when desktop icons re-arrange themselves even though auto-arrange icons is turned off. I've been paying more attention to what has been done when this occurs and I can now cause this issue to...