Windows 10: Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

Discus and support Discord Voice App: Is It Safe? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Does anyone have experience with the Discord app? I do so many sensitive and personal things on my PC that I'm VERY cautious when I install new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NiceAndShy, May 4, 2017.

1. Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

Does anyone have experience with the Discord app?

I do so many sensitive and personal things on my PC that I'm VERY cautious when I install new apps that I know very little about.

Is there any way I can check to see if it's safe for myself?

This is the link: Discord - Free Voice and Text Chat

Thank you for any help!

:)

NiceAndShy, May 4, 2017

2. Huge audio files being saved to Temporary Files from Discord calls.

This seems to be a limitation of the app itself:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/discord-users-free...

You could check the settings of the app to see if there is an option in the Voice section to change where voice calls are saved.

Andre Da Costa, May 4, 2017
  3. My microphone says it's detecting sound, but it does not make any noise!

My computer is a new Windows 10, and I use Discord very often. The microphone has been working fine since I got this computer, but it suddenly stopped working when I re-joined a voice call. I figured it was to do with the app, but after going into sound
    > recording > microphone array properties > listen and turning on the audio icon to test my voice, Discord could detect it. But now I can hear myself with a slight delay and it makes it difficult to make calls, and if I turn off the audio icon, Discord will
    no longer detect my voice.

I tried calling someone on Skype but it just turned on the audio icon automatically and that seemed to be the only way it could get my voice across - is there any way to fix this? I'm not sure what caused this in the first place.

I have tried updating the drivers but it says I have gotten the latest versions for them already.

Thank you!

1greentree, May 4, 2017
  4. Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

Discord seems like a new app so I don't know if I can trust the developers who created it.

NiceAndShy, May 4, 2017
  5. I just checked and Discord was only released in 2015 so I'm a bit nervous about using it...

Does anyone have experience with this app?

NiceAndShy, May 7, 2017
  6. dencal Win User
    dencal, May 7, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Discord is well known amongst gamers and is becoming the go to chat app in place of Teamspeak.

swarfega, May 7, 2017
  8. Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

Thanks for the replies!

I've been doing some more research and it seems like there are some concerns over the way Discord handles privacy?

NiceAndShy, May 7, 2017
  9. FerchogtX Win User
    Not at all, they are just misreading stuff... Discord is secure, in fact, has good controls for undesired content and such. I use it all the time, it's really amazing... many people I know switched over it, I even uninstalled Skype in favour of it...
    Worths a try.

FerchogtX, May 8, 2017
  10. Wow, you removed Skype for Discord?

When I connect to a Discord Server like I do in Teamspeak to a Teamspeak Server, is it possible for the Discord Server to collect information about the files on my PC?

NiceAndShy, May 10, 2017
  11. FerchogtX Win User
    Not at all, they don't use telemetry of any kind, the don't scan your files, and they definetely don't spy your network, the client just works as a communications hub, you can even create your own server, and even separate NSFW stuff (In case you really need that) also, they have stuff flagged (like... disgusting content I cannot mention here). In short, it's quite friendly and secure to use.

I have tons of freinds there, and you can look for public servers to join, or create yours (as I said) to make friends join, until they get a friend request from you, create many channels inside and even more for voice.

Again, Discord is really cool, and worths a try *Biggrin

FerchogtX, May 11, 2017
  12. Thanks for your helpful reply!

Even if the owners of Discord are trustworthy, it just seems very risky for me to be connecting to a Discord server that's being run by a user who isn't related to Discord.

Since I'll be connecting to a user's personal Discord server, isn't it possible for the user to also connect to my PC and view files on my PC?

NiceAndShy, May 16, 2017
  13. FerchogtX Win User

Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

No, they can't do such a thing, the access is limited only for the server, and the premissions they give to participate. You can share your files via uploading (Which is limited to 8 MB max), but they can NEVER see your files, let alone acess your PC or files. The protocol is secure, so they isolate PC filesystems from Discord servers.

FerchogtX, May 17, 2017
  14. FerchogtX, your reply is much appreciated!

I'm trying to find some information about the privacy and security measures that Discord has built in so I can trust it.

NiceAndShy, Jul 5, 2017
  15. I've got so much respect for the community of tenforums.com that I'd love to hear the opinions of the other users on here before I install it.

NiceAndShy, Jul 17, 2017
Thema:

Discord Voice App: Is It Safe?

1. Discord Voice App: Is It Safe? - Similar Threads - Discord Voice App

2. BSOD but only when I’m using discord voice chat?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD but only when I’m using discord voice chat?: As the title says, I can use my PC to do anything EXCEPT use discord voice chat.I can play games for hours but as soon as I join a discord server with my friends I get a BSOD crash after around 30s-5m with the error “MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION”.I’ve tried many fixes including...
  3. BSOD but only when I’m using discord voice chat?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD but only when I’m using discord voice chat?: As the title says, I can use my PC to do anything EXCEPT use discord voice chat.I can play games for hours but as soon as I join a discord server with my friends I get a BSOD crash after around 30s-5m with the error “MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION”.I’ve tried many fixes including...
  4. Microphone not picking up voice in Settings + Certain Apps? works in Discord

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not picking up voice in Settings + Certain Apps? works in Discord: Hello, Having an annoying issue I cannot seem to troubleshoot. I have an ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I motherboard with a Drop PC38X headset. It's connected to the Front Speaker Out & Mic In Analog ports on the back of the motherboard as expected. Effectively, colleagues are telling...
  5. Microphone not picking up voice in Settings + Certain Apps? works in Discord

Microphone not picking up voice in Settings + Certain Apps? works in Discord: Hello, Having an annoying issue I cannot seem to troubleshoot. I have an ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I motherboard with a Drop PC38X headset. It's connected to the Front Speaker Out & Mic In Analog ports on the back of the motherboard as expected. Effectively, colleagues are telling...
  6. Microphone not picking up voice in Settings + Certain Apps? works in Discord

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Fix Discord Voice Connection errors on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Discord Voice Connection errors on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Some Discord users are reporting that they’re encountering various Voice Connection errors when trying to join voice channels in Discord on their Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC. This post offers the most suitable solutions to this issue. How do I fix Discord voice...
  8. Discord voice chat makes mouse and gamepad unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Discord voice chat makes mouse and gamepad unresponsive: As the title states, Discord's voice chat makes my mouse and gamepad unusable until I leave voice chat or close Discord. It usually works for a while, then suddenly my mouse clicks don't do anything (cursor still moves), and/or the gamepad "disconnects," even though the guide...
  9. Discord voice chat makes mouse and gamepad unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Discord voice chat makes mouse and gamepad unresponsive: As the title states, Discord's voice chat makes my mouse and gamepad unusable until I leave voice chat or close Discord. It usually works for a while, then suddenly my mouse clicks don't do anything (cursor still moves), and/or the gamepad "disconnects," even though the guide...
  10. Can't Unistall the Discord App

Can't Unistall the Discord App: I'm trying to uninstall the "Discord" app from my laptop, currently equipped with Windows 10, and no matter what I try it still seems to be there. Something as simple as uninstalling an app shouldn't take so long or require so much effort and research yet here I am. I can...