Windows 10: Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

Discus and support Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am opening this thread to hear your comments on the necessity or benefits of outside software such as: driverbooster slimcleaner registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by miel, Jun 4, 2016.

1. miel Win User

Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

I am opening this thread to hear your comments on the necessity or benefits of outside software such as:

driverbooster

slimcleaner

registry cleaner

and so on.....

clearly windows 10 does some of its own work. here you can talk about it.

:)

miel, Jun 4, 2016

2. Windows 10 programs

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Windows 10 features special methods for Registry Optimization and you should not use any Registry Cleaner.

Registry Cleaners and System Optimizers are just not recommended as they tend to cause more issues than they fix. And many of those are Snake-Oil. CCleaner is a fine program for removing temp files which I use however I do not use the Registry Cleaner section.
    Similarly I would not use the Registry Cleaner part of System Mechanic.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

To clean up garbage use Disk CleanUp : Start - type in --> Disk CleanUp

Or something like CCleaner - Free (but not the Registry Cleaner section)

CCleaner - Free

Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!

CCleaner - Forums

Piriform Community Forums

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 4, 2016
  3. JulietNE Win User
    system mechanic wants to launch windows \syswow64\cmd.exe. and zone alarm puts an alert up what do l do????

I think, Zone Alarm is doing it's job and stopping an application from making changes to your system.

iolo technologies, LLC) C:\Program Files (x86)\System Mechanic

System Mechanic a registry cleaner

NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization
    and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance.
    There is no statistical evidence to back such claims.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

JulietNE, Jun 4, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

You don't need any of those programs, I don't even use Ccleaner anymore. If I was going to use one Ccleaner would be the only one.

Driver programs are usually more trouble than good in my opinion.

Most of those other utilities are snake oil.

derekimo, Jun 4, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I think those programs are snake oil. The only one I use is CC cleaner part.

eLPuSHeR, Jun 4, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    *Ditto with what my friend said!

And some of those are deadly. Some of those can corrupt an windows installation beyond repair.

7. Cleaners ought to be clean (and clear) | Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Are registry cleaners necessary? - Windows Help

MS became a bit lenient towards registry cleaners, especially since MS itself used registry cleaning to solve problems with Windows Updates and such. I always used to have problems with Windows, like all the time, from small announces to huge ones, ever since I use reg cleaners and optimizers, problems are gone and my Windows runs like a Swiss clock. I use CCleaner + WiseCare since Windows 7, plus DriverEasy to check for drivers.

The bad reputation is caused by 3 things:

1. There are bad and even fake cleaners and those usually have intrusive ADs all over the internet, so users most likely install those. But there also fake AVs as well, and people do not stop using AV because of them, that leads to number 2.
    2. Majority of people do not recommend cleaners. Why? Someone said, they are bad, someone read it, so he keeps saying that, someone read, what he wrote and so on. Basically 99% users, who say not to use it, have never even tried it.
    3. Third, but not least, wrong and misleading advertising. Cleaners can help to solve problems and fix performance issues, but majority promote themself, like performance improvers, some even claim to boost performance by 400%, like IoBit.

Windows gets messy, the more software you install, the most likely, that something goes wrong, therefore a regular maintenance is highly recommended. Windows maintenance is great, but it focuses on Windows, not other software. I have seen dozens of cases, where a single reg entry prevented running a software or installing a different one, even though is was completely unrelated software, not mention driver issues. Since people do not like cleaners, I try to find other ways to fix their problems, even though I know, that cleaners would fix at least one third of problems posted on this forum. I do not force it on others, I post it as an option and let people decide whenever to use it.

Some trusted apps on the other hand are not so reliable after all. When I tried Windows Repair, I had to reinstall. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Jun 4, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Voice of reason. I totally agree.

That is to put it simple absolutely not true.

Kari, Jun 4, 2016
  9. I use Ccleaner and Auslogics Driver Updater, Boostspeed 8 which came with the driver updater
    Auslogics Defraggler once every 2 weeks or when the laptop slows down.

hTconeM9user, Jun 4, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    I use only Ccleaner to clean my cookie cash of unwanted ones(yeah some like googles will be back the next time I open my browser, but I mean for a general tracking) I only nuke my caches when a site stops refreshing, and then only for the problem browser.
    Once I was stuck at a site in a click loop on Edge, and another time I had a gray over, where I could not click anything on the browser, and had to kill it through Task manager, then nuke the browser with Ccleaner.
    Ccleaner is also good to reset all MMC Snap-ins(MS Management Console), and WordPad & RegEdit to defaults.
    Also, when you have a problem, that you deleted a file or folder, and the desktop or start menu shortcut remains because it was open somewhere else(say you forgot you had it's properties open when you deleted it), and so the shortcut icon remains, and you can't delete it, using the Shortcut cleaning option can help.

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    for once I'm being quite concise. Agree with most of the other posters here.

AVOID.

Backup / Restore is a far better method.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 4, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    This thread is going to end up causing all kinds of comments. Kind of like asking "what is the best AV program" *Shock
    One program the OP asked about "slimcleaner" has caused some of our members nothing but trouble. THAT program should NEVER be installed!! Most programs like that one....are nothing but trouble.
    Driver programs are again nothing but trouble !!! Get your drivers from the manufacturer of your PC, or whoever made the graphics card, sound card ....etc ... Windows will also check for drivers too.
    Most programs that say they can Optimize your computer are mostly ALL Junk. Stay away from them.

CCleaner is fine with me, never had a problem running it. OR ANY part of it. One of the better programs out their. *Smile
    Bottom line the user should just try to use their common sense, which can help avoid many problems.
    And the BEST idea above ANYTHING Else is, Make regular image backups, keep them stored on a external drive!!! This is your BESTprotection for your Windows OS. This one simple step, would save so many members hours and hours of headache's. *Wink

OldMike65, Jun 4, 2016
  13. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

Driver updaters and registry cleaners have never been necessary. Win 10 does a great job of maintenance.

python134r, Jun 4, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I completely agree. I use built-in Windows disk cleanup, followed by CCleaner anywhere from every two weeks to monthly, depending on how much playing around I have done with my computer. I do use both the drive and registry functions of CCleaner and have never had a problem result from it. I doubt the registry cleaner really does anything to improve performance, but it has never hurt my system, only takes a couple minutes, so I do it after getting Windows and programs all installed, and then after installing or uninstalling a program.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    From my experience most if not all of the tools that "optimize" a PC's performance are garbage. As for CCleaner. It's fine to clean up cookies and things but I would never use it for a registry cleaner. It serves no purpose to perform a registry clean since Win95/98 days. There is far too much proof that it's not needed.

BunnyJ, Jun 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' - Similar Threads - Discuss uses 'registry

2. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  3. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  4. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations: What do you think about tools that clean up and optimize the PC. Basically, I'm very cautious now regarding the use of external - not Windows 10 OnBoard Tools. With the registry cleaners, I've done more harm than good. There are suddenly empty entries in the registry...
  7. Registry cleaners

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. Which Registry Cleaner to Use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which Registry Cleaner to Use?: I have Windows 10 on a laptop that is now one year old. I use CCleaner and several malware removal programs. Each has the option to remove registry entries. I have taken the approach not to remove registry entries that they identify. I want to be sure it won't harm the...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...