Windows 10: Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

Discus and support Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; From my experience most if not all of the tools that "optimize" a PC's performance are garbage. As for CCleaner. It's fine to clean up cookies and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by miel, Jun 4, 2016.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

With the possible exception of defragmenting a hard drive or optimizing a SSD. They do serve a useful purpose, and are recommended.

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2016
  2. Cliff S New Member

Even then, for larger disks that are severely fragmented, the faster way to "defrag" it, is create a system image and then turn around and reimage the disk.

Cliff S, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Rocky Win User
    From my experience these types of programs are really more dangerous than helpful. AVOID!!!!

Rocky, Jun 4, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

True.. I was making reference to third party tools.

BunnyJ, Jun 5, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I don't think I've ever needed to defrag a disk since Windows 95 days when HDD sizes were measured in MB (yes MB not even GB and certainly not TB).

However if you really NEED (or think you need to do it) as pointed out previously by far the quickest way to do it is to take an IMAGE (note an IMAGE not a CLONE as that just copies out the previous layout sector by sector), re-format the HDD and restore. Job done. Do a proper format though not a quick format as you want to wipe the file structure so the restore image can create a new one.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 5, 2016
  6. I'll go out on a branch and say that CCleaner's registry cleaner has helped me many times over. I only use it when I remove a deep-rooted driver package or application, such as an anti-virus package. I've used it to solve issues where new ATI drivers wouldn't go on because remnants of the previous install were left behind in the form of registry keys. I don't even mention the word CCleaner to mid or novice users, though.

As for the others, I've always felt that the built-in disk cleanup tool has always worked very well. If you need a program to help you with drivers, then you probably shouldn't be the one updating them in the first place. Boosters or optimizers are always a joke, just like memory "cleaners".

DeaconFrost, Jun 6, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not? "Straight out of the box" CCleaner install without changing anything I just click the disk cleanup button - I don't even analyze first. Then after that is done on the left select the next option down for registry, click scan, click fix, never have saved a backup, click fix all. Then run it a couple more times until it finishes finding all the dependencies. I have never had an issue with CCleaner messing up anything.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  8. RWOne Win User

CC Cleaner if anything, otherwise I relent against all these optimizers and reg cleaners.

Even if I had use for them, it's an install, get the specific job done and uninstall.

RWOne, Jun 6, 2016
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    Registry cleaners do have some value when used by an expert to solve a specific problem. But they are typically used by people who have only a vague understanding of what the registry is and none of the limitations of a registry cleaner. In such hands they are dangerous. That is the view of Mark Russinovich a well known Windows expert.

LMiller7, Jun 6, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    "...Registry cleaners do have some value when used by an expert to solve a specific problem..." lMiller7
    I'm not an expert, however, I have used a registry editor by Resplendence to surgically remove specific material, sometimes what appears to be a "shotgun spray," is merely taking out a specific hydra and its many many tiny legs.

RolandJS, Jun 6, 2016
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    No argument there! Only one issue, you'd be surprised (maybe not!) , how many users would respond "What's a backup?". But....that's a whole 'nother topic!

f14tomcat, Jun 6, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    The problem with most of these "cleaners" and "optimizers" is that they often implement risky "fixes" without telling the users of the risks. Also, old versions of these apps can actually damage your system because they aren't aware of new things that have been done.

It's usually a good idea, if you feel you must use one of these, to only use the most recent version of it, and even then insure that this version was released relatively recently.

Mystere, Jun 6, 2016
  13. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

That is why Ccleaner is good because it is kept up to date and comes highly recommended

hTconeM9user, Jun 6, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    As long as you stick to general cleanup tasks, like emptying temporary files or internet files, sure. But as soon as you go into the more advanced cleanup, you start taking more risks.

Microsoft doesn't recommend ccleaner at all. for example:

http://news.thewindowsclub.com/micro...isagree-80369/

Mystere, Jun 7, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    What a load of bollocks... it's safe as houses.

Superfly, Jun 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' - Similar Threads - Discuss uses 'registry

2. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  3. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  4. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations: What do you think about tools that clean up and optimize the PC. Basically, I'm very cautious now regarding the use of external - not Windows 10 OnBoard Tools. With the registry cleaners, I've done more harm than good. There are suddenly empty entries in the registry...
  7. Registry cleaners

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. Which Registry Cleaner to Use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which Registry Cleaner to Use?: I have Windows 10 on a laptop that is now one year old. I use CCleaner and several malware removal programs. Each has the option to remove registry entries. I have taken the approach not to remove registry entries that they identify. I want to be sure it won't harm the...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...