Windows 10: Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

Discus and support Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; You don't need any of those programs, I don't even use Ccleaner anymore. If I was going to use one Ccleaner would be the only one. Driver programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by miel, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

+1
    Although this M$ KB article predates Win10, the concept remains valid.

JMHO and EOD for me*chuckle,

MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 7, 2016
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Why not here?? It's a good a place as any.

I have studied registry's and what they are and how to work with them and what a registry cleaner is good for or not. And from all of that work/reacherch I have found that there is no evidence that supports registry cleaners having any benefit to a PC. I don't use them because of this study I found no reason to.

Evidence ..
    Are registry cleaners necessary? - Windows Help

Why Using a Registry Cleaner Wont Speed Up Your PC or Fix Crashes
    I know some feel that by using one will help their PC and they have had zero issues by using one. That's fine and they can use them but I want to see a fair and balanced discussion on this topic. New users have the right to see both sides and make up their own mind on what to do or use on their PC.

BunnyJ, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Cliff S New Member
    I guess you could say, If it makes the user feel good....

Even manually deleting something from the registry using search can nuke your system, as there are shared .dll's(libraries) in the WinSxs portion of the registry, and if you delete the link.... ***poof*** you just killed 3 or 4 programs if not Windows(ntdll.dll for example).

That's why if I remove an old program manually, I only do the ones in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE].

Cliff S, Jun 7, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

I agree. What I like to do when deleting a program is to use this: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

It removes more than the Windows uninstaller and it can clean up registry entries. Oh and you can set how aggressive you want the clean up to be.

BunnyJ, Jun 7, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    +1 for Revo Uninstaller. It is one of the programs that I always install immediately after a clean install. It deals with the registry perfectly; but still it makes a restore point before uninstalling a program.

6. derekimo Win User
    It's a discussion, when it get's out of hand or stops being a discussion we'll take the appropriate action.

A lot of threads take on a life of their own, even after the OP has got their answer or had their problem solved, that's why we don't lock solved threads, the fact this OP hasn't returned is not a reason to close it in itself.

It is in this section because it fits here.

Carry on...

derekimo, Jun 8, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    The article was in reference to a Video produced by Microsoft, where the quotes originate.

Mystere, Jun 8, 2016
  8. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers'

I personally use Ccleaner for years, and yes at time I use the Registry section. It has never cause me a problem.

Example would be when deleting things. I run the Registry section and see if anything of that deleted object, program or what ever is still in the registry. If it is I remove it using Ccleaner or regedit.
    If you all could, keep in mind when using Ccleaner or regedit incorrectly I have cause problems.
    So I will go back to my old school ways. If one uses a tool, program or what ever on a computer be prepared
    to use a backup or clone of some kind to correct the ones boo boo.

I do trust Ccleaner but it's not a blind trust.

Here is another thought.
    Because of all the changes and upgrades of W-10 I'm not really sure if Ccleaner is keeping up with all the changes to W-10 which might (?) be a problem.

Ccleaner is a tool and like any other tool, one should know how to use the tool properly.

Layback Bear, Jun 8, 2016
  9. Agree with you all the way on that 100%

hTconeM9user, Jun 8, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1

davidhk, Jun 8, 2016
  11. 51sandman Win User
    Use Revo on 2 Laptops and 3 desktops not every day use but maybe monthly will no issue's for years enjoy Windows 10. But are these programs needed probably not in this new age of Windows!

51sandman, Jun 8, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    The best "System Optimizers" are:
    A brand spanking new SSD(M.2 if your MOBO has the connecter, using NVMe drivers of course!)

and

More RAM(up to the point you need, 8GB is the sweet spot for daily computing and multi tasking, 16GB for Gaming, 3D CAD and a few Virtual Machines running at the same time constantly from boot to shutdown, and 32GB for a lot of VMs and a server(host or as VM))
    For RAM there is a point on diminishing returns, where it just isn't worth it.

Cliff S, Jun 8, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Those programs are not needed. Those are some different user interface and conglomeration of various different system tools (other than the registry part). It is sometimes hard to use the system provided tools, and system tools are not that AIO (all in one) things. So these tools are there.

Take the example of boot defrag. One can do it using the system tool, that will need some command line interface; whereas tools like Puran does it graphically. Users who are not savvy with command line finds Puran easier.

Internet advertisements and pop-ups made them popular, plus some of us have the hangover of XP age habits. So those tools have the market.

If one can use all his system tools appropriately, then those tools are really not needed. Probably that is why they are celled Snake Oil.

14. DooGie Win User
    Agree totally with that Layback bear. Although the registry cleaner module in CCleaner is a very mild one you can't just run it without examining the results before deleting them all.
    As you say the user should know how to use the tool.

I did around four or five years beta testing JV16 Power Tools way back in the day when it was popular, now that was hard work. However it taught me not to screw with the registry until I knew what each entry related to.

Back to CCleaner, If I uninstall the Realtek HD drivers using Programs and Features, reboot then run the registry cleaner in CCleaner then it will find around 159 entries relating to the Realtek HD drivers. If I run it again it will find another 180 or so. all of these are safe to remove.
    Whatever version of Windows why would I want a registry filling up with leftovers.

DooGie, Jun 14, 2016
  15. NZTinker Win User
    So I dug my way thru all 6 pages of this thread and read plenty of 'listen to me' comments. Snake oil or otherwise, if used with commensense and caution using these types of apps is a great way to learn.
    Anyway, as some of you guys appear to know heaps, answer me this please

Bootlog, Win 10 Home, tells me that dxgkrnl.sys loads, or attempts to at least, 6 times.
    What drives this behaviour as it causes me plenty of grieve during the boot process (near the end at the desktop)
    There has to be a file or registry hive which drives the loading of *.sys files. But where is that???

And before you ream my rearend for asking this question in piggy back fashion on this thread, I have posted this question in numerous forums and never seem to get an answer. So maybe you knowledgable fellows can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

NZTinker, Jun 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Discuss the uses of 'registry cleaners', 'disk cleaners', 'optimizers' - Similar Threads - Discuss uses 'registry

2. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  3. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  4. Which registry cleaner to use ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which registry cleaner to use ?: So I had Mass Effect + Dead Space + Battlefield 3 installed through Origin... I uninstalled Origin before uninstalling the games first.... People say I should have uninstalled the games through Origin first. Because If I don't there will be registry left overs... So I want...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GOOD or BAD ? Total PC Cleaner - Cleaner for Disk Space, Memory Optimizations: What do you think about tools that clean up and optimize the PC. Basically, I'm very cautious now regarding the use of external - not Windows 10 OnBoard Tools. With the registry cleaners, I've done more harm than good. There are suddenly empty entries in the registry...
  7. Registry cleaners

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. Which Registry Cleaner to Use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which Registry Cleaner to Use?: I have Windows 10 on a laptop that is now one year old. I use CCleaner and several malware removal programs. Each has the option to remove registry entries. I have taken the approach not to remove registry entries that they identify. I want to be sure it won't harm the...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...