Windows 10: Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...

Discus and support Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; With COVID-19 cases at 99 out of 100 on healthweather.us for 18901 in the United States, I'm sure people will feel nostalgic about Windows 7 15 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by thomasseymour18901, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...

With COVID-19 cases at 99 out of 100 on healthweather.us for 18901 in the United States, I'm sure people will feel nostalgic about Windows 7 15 years after today. I'd spend $529.00 plus 6% 18901 sales tax on a Windows 11 tower PC if I needed to upgrade in 2022, but I'm being a frugal Windows user and waiting at least until CES 2026 in Las Vegas. We don't know when CES 2025 or CES 2026 will be yet, but it'll happen for sure! For now, I'll enjoy the 150 GB of cloud storage from my $134.99 plus 6% sales tax a year Norton 360 Premium II with auto renew on to store all my audio CD rips in Apple Los

:)

thomasseymour18901, Jan 11, 2022

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you... [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jan 11, 2022
  3. curatia Win User
    Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Jan 11, 2022
  4. Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...

Internet Explorer is dead: Microsoft to stop supporting early versions yesterday WITH POLL

Agree. Edge is a huge step up from IE 11 and really works well built into Windows 10. I think Microsoft is going to be adding extention support i n the future?

Easy Rhino, Jan 11, 2022
Thema:

Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...

1. Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you... - Similar Threads - Discussion days until

2. Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Discussion: With 4 days to go until Windows 7 loses Microsoft Edge/Chrome support, do you...: With COVID-19 cases at 99 out of 100 on healthweather.us for 18901 in the United States, I'm sure people will feel nostalgic about Windows 7 15 years after today. I'd spend $529.00 plus 6% 18901 sales tax on a Windows 11 tower PC if I needed to upgrade in 2022, but I'm being...
  3. Computer keeps losing parts of windows every day until rebooted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer keeps losing parts of windows every day until rebooted: HiI am part of the IT department at my organisation, for the last few days one of our users has been having an issue where after around 6 or 7 hours of the PC being on that they lose parts of windows, I know that's not a lot to go on so I will explain, say for example the...
  4. Discussion: How likely will browsers besides Chromium Edge be supported on Windows 7 past...

Discussion: How likely will browsers besides Chromium Edge be supported on Windows 7 past...: I love it that Vivaldi 3.7 works not only on macOS 10.11.6, but also 10.10 unlike Chromium Edge 89 Stable which requires macOS 10.12 or higher! I’ll love my 11-year-old MacBook Pro Raymond will give me once he gets a new M2 MacBook Pro in 2022! I’ll also save for an M4 or M5...
  5. Google extends Chrome support for Windows 7 until January 15, 2022

in Windows 10 News
    Google extends Chrome support for Windows 7 until January 15, 2022: Google revealed this week that it decided to extend support for Google Chrome on Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system until at least January 15, 2022. Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020 officially for all Home systems while Enterprise and business customers...
  6. Microsoft to support new Edge browser until July 15, 2021 on Windows 7

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to support new Edge browser until July 15, 2021 on Windows 7: Microsoft released the first stable version of the company's new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser one day after it ended support for its Windows 7 operating system. Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020 for Home customers. Business and Enterprise customers...
  7. Discussion: Do you think Microsoft would be able to get Apple to support URLs in Outlook...

Discussion: Do you think Microsoft would be able to get Apple to support URLs in Outlook...: I currently have 160 reminders on my iCloud account and 36 tasks on my Outlook account, many of which were once Outlook tasks but I switched them over because of the plethora of new features that came with iOS and iPadOS 13 for the Reminders app like remind me when messaging...
  8. Microsoft will support Edge browser on Windows 7 after EoL

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will support Edge browser on Windows 7 after EoL: Windows 7 support ends in the morning of January 14 and the operating system will gradually become vulnerable to security issues. Windows 7 EoL (End of Life) means no more security updates for users, but for Microsoft, it means increased adoption of Windows 10 and no more...
  9. Would you pay Microsoft for extended Windows 7 support?

in Windows 10 News
    Would you pay Microsoft for extended Windows 7 support?: Windows 7 support ends in January 2020 and there is nothing that consumers and small business customers-- read non-Enterprise customers -- can do about it. Microsoft won't release security updates, any update to be precise, for consumer versions of Windows 7 after January...
  10. Microsoft ends support for Windows 7 in around 500 days

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ends support for Windows 7 in around 500 days: Windows 7 has had a pretty good run and like all good things, Windows 7’s time in the spotlight must come to an end. Microsoft is supposed to end support for the old operating system in less than 500 days. Starting mid-January 2020, Microsoft will no longer offer any...