Windows 10: Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.

Discus and support Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A DELL Inspiron 3668 desktop remains joined to an obsolete (i.e. "Dead") domain. The original server crashed and was reloaded from scratch creating a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wlpeavy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. wlpeavy Win User

Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.

A DELL Inspiron 3668 desktop remains joined to an obsolete (i.e. "Dead") domain. The original server crashed and was reloaded from scratch creating a new domain. We need to join this desktop to the new domain but since there are no active local Administrator accounts, we can't accomplish this.

The thing is a UEFI machine and getting into an administrator-level CMD prompt seems impossible.
    Does anyone know how to get around this situation?
    I've tried the Repair Disk option but that doesn't address issues like this.

Thanks

:)

wlpeavy, Jun 11, 2019
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Jun 11, 2019
  3. JasonNJ Win User
    Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller

Hi,
    Great post! Thank you for these detailed instructions. I got to step 4.11 - 4.13. I am running Windows Server 2016 as a VM in VM Workstation 12 Pro. Before I made these changes, I had internet access. My VM Network Adapter is set to NAT.

I'm now connected to my new domain and I've changed the Preferred DNS address back to my router's IP address, but I'm still showing "No Internet access" and I have the yellow warning on my network connection. Any suggestions? I've restarted the vm and the main machine with no luck.

JasonNJ, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.

Upgarde win7 to win 10 when a pc is added to a domain

hi,

all of my pc is added to a domain and i want them to be upgraded to win 10.if i will disjoin them from the domain and upgrade and again rejoin them to DC(Domain controller) my user profile will not be recovered right since i don't have a roaming profile
    here.

please suggest what to do..

Thank s and regards

Tibhil

TibhilMathew, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.

1. Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain. - Similar Threads - Disjoin Dead 2016

2. HELP!! my lenovo computer only show domain admin login screen after disjoin domain

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HELP!! my lenovo computer only show domain admin login screen after disjoin domain: I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem, but I found that no one posts. ScenesI have a domain administrator password and a local administrator password, so I should have full control of this computer. The regretful moment came when I logged into the domain...
  3. HELP!! my lenovo computer only show domain admin login screen after disjoin domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP!! my lenovo computer only show domain admin login screen after disjoin domain: I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem, but I found that no one posts. ScenesI have a domain administrator password and a local administrator password, so I should have full control of this computer. The regretful moment came when I logged into the domain...
  4. HELP!! my lenovo computer only show domain admin login screen after disjoin domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 2016 Domain - Group Policies not applying to OU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2016 Domain - Group Policies not applying to OU: So we have a domain and have various group policies some apply to computer settings, some apply to user settingsIf we link a computer group policy directly to the root of the domain, policy works fine and everything is great.If we take the same policy, remove it from the...
  6. Windows 2016 Domain - Group Policies not applying to OU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2016 Domain - Group Policies not applying to OU: So we have a domain and have various group policies some apply to computer settings, some apply to user settingsIf we link a computer group policy directly to the root of the domain, policy works fine and everything is great.If we take the same policy, remove it from the...
  7. Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disjoin From "Dead" Windows 2016 domain.: A DELL Inspiron 3668 desktop remains joined to an obsolete (i.e. "Dead") domain. The original server crashed and was reloaded from scratch creating a new domain. We need to join this desktop to the new domain but since there are no active local Administrator accounts, we...
  8. Outlook 2016 with Exchange/Domains

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 with Exchange/Domains: I'm not sure if a recent update to Outlook 2016 (I subscribe to Office 365) introduced this or not... Recently, I'm frequently prompted for my password for an email where I'm an independent contractor. If I set the account up as new, it goes through fine. Periodically...
  9. Reverted back to OUTLOOK 2010 --2016 a DEAD LOSS

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Reverted back to OUTLOOK 2010 --2016 a DEAD LOSS: Hi there I've reverted back to OUTLOOK 2010 -- the trouble with OUTLOOK 2016 it tries to automatically configure email accounts --if you have special ones it can't configure automatically you are hosed up as you can't uncheck the test account either. So when the account...
  10. Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller: How to: Windows Server 2016 - Setup Local Domain Controller [img] Information There are several reasons to create and use a local domain even in relatively small home networks. To list a few: Centralized user management Users sign in to domain instead of signing in to...