Windows 10: Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines)

Discus and support Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On my old laptop, my new laptop, and my desktop, Disk 0 will be at 100% almost always, and will spike up at random times. My desktop fan runs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by classicaltrombone, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines)

On my old laptop, my new laptop, and my desktop, Disk 0 will be at 100% almost always, and will spike up at random times. My desktop fan runs constantly, winding up and down when I haven't touched it for hours.

Any ideas what could be going on?? I've tried:
    -Disabling background apps

-Disabling Windows Search

-Disabling Windows Defender

-Disabling McAfee

-Disabling Startups

-Disabling StorAHCI.sys driver

-Disabling Superfetch

-Full chkdsk reboot (It didn't fix this problem, but did take 6+ hours on both my laptop and desktop.)

Any other ideas? I can't imagine it'd be hardware related on all three machines, but who knows at this point.

:)

classicaltrombone, Jan 12, 2019

2. Slow PC - 50% Disk Usage but 100% on C: Drive

Hi. i've seen multiple posts on the 100% disk issue and tried all of the previously suggested actions (disabling search, superfetch etc and all that). I had no 'slow' disk issues at all as MS updates seem to have rectified the situation in the Spring of
    2018 for us. However, since a September Windows 10 update, we are slow to boot up and slow-running again. When I access the task manager, processes tab, I see disk usage at 50% rather than the previous 100% give-away...

But when I look at the Performance tab, Disk 0 C: (the main hard drive of my machine) is operating at 100% nearly all of the time...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this issue please a the general running speed and in particular the boot up speed has deteriorated significantly. And in advance, I'm grateful for all suggestions but please don't suggest buying an SSD as I'm
    looking for a way of undoing whatever problems MS has caused again rather than having to pay several hundred Euros to fix faults they caused. Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines) :)

Cheers

UF

KevinBaughen, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, Jan 12, 2019
  4. GiaChang Win User

Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines)

Cannot merge C drive (disk 0) with unallocated space (on disk 1)

Hi all,

I need some advice on whether it is possible - and if yes, how to merge my C drive on disk 0 with D drive on disk 1.

The problem is: my C drive is getting full soon, but previously after I deleted D drive and make it unallocated space (the bar of current D drive will change to black from blue), I still cannot expand C drive by adding the 100GB unallocated space into it.
    If I right click on C drive, the "expand" item is in gray.

I've searched online for solutions but so far only have seen same questions around. Does any one know the solution and do a big favor to explain how to do it step by step? Thanks much in advance!

P.S, sorry that the interface is not in English. Below page shows the "Disk Management" function, and you can see that:

1) Disk 0 has 55.78G, including C drive (55.21GB), 100MB of something I don't know what it is, and 473MB of recovery zone

2) Disk 1 has 100GB D drive, and 831.51GB E drive

Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines) 4d9a7925-db40-474e-9e8b-8352ef8dcf4a.jpg

GiaChang, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines)

1. Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines) - Similar Threads - Disk 100% multiple

2. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  3. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  4. 100% active time on disk D

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% active time on disk D: Hi ive recently started having this issue with my pc and ive tried many ways to try and fix it but nothing worked so far. It has caused my relatively strong pc to slow down on restarts and downloading even tough i have a lot of space left. In the processes tab in task manager...
  5. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  6. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  7. disk 0 active time 100%

disk 0 active time 100%: my pc is slow, and spends a lot of time with disk 0 active time at 100%. is there anything to do about this? what do you need to know? i've used windows performance recorder for 30s, and the results are here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlydyVjRnQ8hsH-cr90YDZX1e9vh?e=UDtdqB...
  8. C: Disk and D: Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: Disk and D: Disk: I recently got a new computer running on Windows 10 which is awesome but there is something I wanna change and I don't know how. So, my problem is the download and save paths with the quick access folders. Downloads was set on default to save to the C: Drive, so I went into...
  9. 100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Trever5005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gfcrh4/100_disk_0_c_drive_usage_is_there_a_reason_why_my/
  10. Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity

Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity: When I restart my computer, and at various times after it has been running for a while, the C: drive activity goes to 100% for long periods of time, resulting in very slow performance. It is a dual quad core computer with 12 GBs of ram. Running the latest Windows 10 Home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk 0 c d is at 100%