Windows 10: Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...

Discus and support Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi thereI am getting frequent events in Event Viewer saying that Disk 1 and Disk 2 has been surprise removed. I am using a laptop and so there is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by GDoe5, Aug 6, 2022.

1. GDoe5 Win User

Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...

Hi thereI am getting frequent events in Event Viewer saying that Disk 1 and Disk 2 has been surprise removed. I am using a laptop and so there is no way my one SSD is being removed. In the details tab of the event, it has various drives - e.g. \Device\Harddisk2\DR790. The "DR number" is various many numbers e.g. DR788 DR787 DR777 etc., no pattern as far as I can tell. I have been investigating stutters in games I play e.g. Elden Ring via Steam, Hitman 3 via Xbox Game Pass. I then discovered that these events coincide perfectly with the stutters. And I then discovered approximately 30-50 hi

:)

GDoe5, Aug 6, 2022
  2. SymaIA Win User

Microsoft Gaming Services causing freezes in other games with xvd drivers

Hello,

This issue mainly causes problems for From Software games (Dark Souls III and more recently Elden Ring).

On these games, every time the list of devices on the device manager is updated, the game stops accepting inputs for a few seconds (probably to check for new controllers or whatever).

It normally wouldn't be that big of a problem, if it wasn't for the Microsoft Xbox Gaming App and the tons of Xvd drives that gets added and forcibly removed every few minutes from this list ...

I don't understand why, even without having the Xbox app open or any game that is installed on this app, Microsoft has to add and remove these virtual drives every few minutes !

Btw each of these event causes a log in the Admin event logfile 'Disk ## has been surprise removed' (where ## is a number between 2 and 4 usually).

Is there anything I can do to make this stop beside stopping my subscription to the game pass and uninstalling anything xbox related on my computer ?

SymaIA, Aug 6, 2022
  3. Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...

Microsoft Gaming Services causing freezes in other games with xvd drivers

I also have this issue. Playing Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, or other non-Xbox games I'll frequently encounter "double hitches"--a 1-2 second freeze followed by 1-2 seconds of accelerated gameplay followed by another 1-2 second freeze--that coincide with "Disk n was surprise removed" events in the Event Viewer.

I've spent a lot of time troubleshooting it and found that I can workaround the problem for non-Xbox games (e.g. Steam games) by doing these steps. BUT, this workaround causes Xbox games to become unlaunchable. Do these steps at your own risk.

1. In Device Manager, enable "Show hidden devices".
    2. Find the XVDD SCSI Miniport device under the 'Storage Controllers' group
    3. Disable the XVDD SCSI Miniport device.
    4. Restart the PC.
    To restore Xbox games to working order, you'll need to re-enable the XVDD SCSI Miniport device, which isn't as easy. Follow these steps:

1. In Device Manager, enable "Show hidden devices".
    2. Find the XVDD SCSI Miniport device under the 'Storage Controllers' group. Observe that if you right-click it, there is no "Enable" command listed.
    3. Keeping Device Manager open, start the Microsoft Store application, then try to browse to the XBox app. Observe that a page showing the Xbox app starts to load, but seems to load indefinitely.
    4. Now quickly return to Device Manager and wait for the XVDD SCSI Miniport device's icon to become enabled. When this occurs, right-click it and choose "Enable this device". (Note that enabling the device will not reinstate Xbox game functionality until you restart.)
    5. Restart the PC.

Object01-[xboxvenue], Aug 6, 2022
Thema:

Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...

1. Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game... - Similar Threads - Disk has been

2. Event ID 157. Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event ID 157. Disk 2 has been surprise removed.: I consistently get the event ID 157 "Disk 2 has been surprise removed." However, there is no disk 2. I have a disk 0 which is a mounted SSD for data storage and a Disk 1 which is an NVMe for the system. I have already checked the connection of both drives even though neither...
  3. Event ID 157. Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event ID 157. Disk 2 has been surprise removed.: I consistently get the event ID 157 "Disk 2 has been surprise removed." However, there is no disk 2. I have a disk 0 which is a mounted SSD for data storage and a Disk 1 which is an NVMe for the system. I have already checked the connection of both drives even though neither...
  4. Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...

Disk 1 has been surprise removed event ID 157 - Xvd disk drives - Xbox game pass - Game...: Hi thereI am getting frequent events in Event Viewer saying that Disk 1 and Disk 2 has been surprise removed. I am using a laptop and so there is no way my one SSD is being removed. In the details tab of the event, it has various drives - e.g. \Device\Harddisk2\DR790. The "DR...
  5. Disk has been surprise removed, Event ID 157

in Windows 10 News
    Disk has been surprise removed, Event ID 157: [ATTACH]If the Event Viewer is showing an error message called Disk has been surprise removed with Event ID 157, this article will be useful for you. Here are some of the working solutions that will troubleshoot this issue on your computer. Whether it is showing Disk 0, Disk...
  6. Event ID 157 : Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event ID 157 : Disk 2 has been surprise removed.: In the event manager, I have multiple event ID 157, even though I do not have a disk 2! I checked using DISKPART > list, and it lists only my internal disks 0 and 1. I do not have an external HD connected at the moment these events are recorded, so I don't really where it...
  7. Event ID 157 : Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

Event ID 157 : Disk 2 has been surprise removed.: In the event manager, I have multiple event ID 157, even though I do not have a disk 2! I checked using DISKPART > list, and it lists only my internal disks 0 and 1. I do not have an external HD connected at the moment these events are recorded, so I don't really where it...
  8. Event ID 157 : Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. "Disk has been surprised removed"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Disk has been surprised removed": Hi, I am randomly getting these warnings in event viewer. I am not sure why this is happening but this has been happening for a while now and it seems to happen every few hours. I only have 3 internal drives (2 HDDs & 1 SSD) and 5 partitions total (screenshot of disk manager)...
  10. EventID 157 Logged "Disk X" has been surprise removed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EventID 157 Logged "Disk X" has been surprise removed: Approximately once a day (at varying times) all of my external USB3 drives (I currently have 3 connected) become disconnected and all of them log EventID 157 - "Disk N has been surprise removed", where N is 1,2 or 3. Most of the time it isn't so bad, but if this happens when...