Windows 10: disk always going to 100% whenever i restart or open any programs

Discus and support disk always going to 100% whenever i restart or open any programs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I've been having this problem for a while and it's recently started to severely impact my computer, not only slow to start up but also now causing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tsun halp, Jul 10, 2021.

1. tsun halp Win User

disk always going to 100% whenever i restart or open any programs

Hi. I've been having this problem for a while and it's recently started to severely impact my computer, not only slow to start up but also now causing my computer to lag. I am a computer novice so I am relying very much on guides so far.I have already done a number of troubleshooting solutions I've read online including: Defrag the driveReinstall windowsupdated drivers ran a virus scan to check for malwareamong a few other small fixes different websites suggested regarding disabled certain files After doing some of these the problem is better it used to just sit at 100% constantly but it sti

:)

tsun halp, Jul 10, 2021
  2. reaver Win User

100% Disk Usage during startup/opening new programs

Hello,
    Awhile ago, I was still on Windows 7, and my system began to be incredibly slow, especially during startup. I wasn't sure back then what the problem was, or what I had done to make it so slow. I figured it was linked to BlueStacks, and uninstalling it did help a lot. Startup took about 10 minutes, instead of over 30. However, it was still very slow to open programs, right click, and play games. I thought upgrading to windows 10 might help, but I was unable to because of an error. It only worked after I used CCleaner to fix up the registry. Windows 10 allowed me to see the cause of the sluggish behaviour, as task manager reports 100% disk usage during starup. The problem is, no program in the list actually uses the disk activity, and idles around 0.3MB/sec. It was still always 100%, and only started dropping to normal levels after I messed around with skype (see below for the list of things I tried). Now after startup, if left for a long while, it will eventually finish and drop to idle around 0%. But if I open a program for the first time (ie. WoW, Firefox, Documents, Word etc.) it spikes to 100%. For most programs, it will return to 0%, such as firefox. I am able to browse with no problem, but it will occasionally still spike to 100%, though this seems random. It is most noticable when playing games, such as WoW. If opening for the first time, it spikes to 100%. Some time later it will return to 0%. If I log in, or switch zones when playing, open my bags etc, it again spikes to 100% and makes the game almost unplayable, as it freezes until disk usage returns to 0%. It only behaves this way on lowest settings. If I play on max settings, it almost always stays at 100% (my laptop can easily handle max settings btw). Other games are similar, but the less complex the game is, the less spikes happen. Here is a list of things I have tried to fix the 100% disk usage:
    -Turn off tips about windows - no effect
    -Turn off BITS - no effect
    -Turn of prefetch and superfetch - no effect
    -Turned on read/write for skype using the security tab in properties - Disk usage is no longer always 100%, but still spikes as told above.
    -Turned off cloud protection and real time protection for windows defender - no effect
    -Uninstalled/reinstalled nvidia drivers, and geforce experience - no effect, also worth mentioning that when I restarted after uninstalling, the system took almost an hour to startup, disk usage was again always 100%, and took ages to reinstall the latest drivers. After using CCleaner and getting rid of system files/registry cleanup, the system was as before, 0% disk usage, but 100% spikes.
    -Increasing the RAM cache - no effect
    -turning off disk fragment scheduling
    -Disabling all startup programs - startup takes a lot less time, but disk usage is still 100% during startup
    -Disabling all non-microsoft services - no effect
    -Check disk using cmd, no errors reported
    I installed HD sentinel, and it says disk health is at 98%, with 3 weak sectors, but no action required. Disk temperature is also normal, but if disk usage is 100% for long enough, it begins rising, up to 60+ degrees (C).
    Im running out of options, as I've tried nearly everything suggested by google. The only thing that had any significant effect was the read/write enabling for skype, but even that didnt solve the problem entirely. I even tried uninstalling skype, to no avail.
    Please help, the new patch for WoW released, and I really want to be able to play normally. Sorry for the lengthy post.

reaver, Jul 10, 2021
  3. 100% disk usage when opening ANY program

ýes but that's the thing, any program i open will make it go to 100% so a screenshot wont really make a difference, if i open lets say world of warcraft, it says world of warcraft is using a huge amount of disk, if i open discord, it says discord is using
    an insane amount of disk, if i open microsoft edge it says microsoft edge uses an insane amount of disk. its like this for every single program and it doesn't matter how small or big it is. so there's no specific program that does this.

RobinAndersson2, Jul 10, 2021
  4. desbest Win User

How do I stop my disk usage being at 99% or 100% on Windows 10?

How do I stop my disk usage being at 100% on Windows 10? Below is what I've tried

• Changing Link Storage Technology in Intel Rapid Storage to be off
    • Restarting or Disabling Windows Search service
    • Restarting or Disabling Windows Superfetch or SysMain service
    • DISM and SFC scans
    • Checking for hard drive errors in CrystalDiskInfo
    • Running programs as administrator
    • Changing the security of backup programs and high disk usage programs to give my user all the permissions in the Properties
    • Looking at Task Manager to find the cause (the processes listed don't add up to 99% or 100%)

I'm using Windows 10 20H2
    Is there any other suggestions I can do?

desbest, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

1. disk always going to 100% whenever i restart or open any programs - Similar Threads - disk always going

2. Disk usage always 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage always 100%: I am aware that this question has been asked in many other places, but I still cannot solve the disk usage problem 100%. I tried everything online, but this problem keeps popping up. Please help....
  3. Disk always at 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk always at 100%: My disk is always at 100% so I decided to reset my pc. But unfortunately, it is still 100% no matter what. Open chrome 100%, open AV 100%, open office 100%. When standby, system 100%. Memory is at 70%-80% and some processor goes up too. What could be the problem? What if I...
  4. Sound always going to 100%

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound always going to 100%: I am using a HP probook 6450B it has the same thing as the touch thing in the mac book just from 2010 the right there is the side controls the sound+ thing goes up always how do I fix it...
  5. 100% disk usage whenever i open games, or heavy applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage whenever i open games, or heavy applications: pc- asus vivobook x540uar ram- 8gb graphics- intel hd graphics 620 i5 10th gen i used to run heavy applications and games like velorant, android studio, far cry games, etc on my laptop....it may lag at high graphics, by applications used to run smoothly at low...
  6. Disk Usage 100% whenever i open something or do something.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Usage 100% whenever i open something or do something.: Like the caption says, everytime i open a program or uninstall a program the disk usage rises up to 100% and im pretty sure it's like that when i talk on discord and play games too. I tried disabling the search and sysmain i tried updating windows (although it keeps showing...
  7. My HDD disk usage always goes 100% whenever I open any program...............Any Solution...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My HDD disk usage always goes 100% whenever I open any program...............Any Solution...: I am using Hp laptop with intel corei3 When I am trying to open any program, in the task manager the disk usage goes above 90% and taking almost 5 minutes to open any program I have tried almost all the solutions available on You Tube and different websites but not a single...
  8. disk usage always 100%

disk usage always 100%: hi, i am using windows 10 home, version 2004. recently i noticed that my disk usage remains always 100% and my pc frequently freezes and even when starting the animated circle keep freezing but starts. what can i do to fix this?plz help. i didnt have this problem before. i...
  9. My disk is always at 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My disk is always at 100%: Hello everybody, first let me start by saying that this laptop was my parents and not mine. They bought one better so they gave me this one and I reset laptop and I notice I was getting 100% disk without even doing or downloading something. I asked my parents and they told me...
  10. Disk Usage always 100%

Disk Usage always 100%: I understand that this question has been asked in many other places but I still cant solve the 100% disk usage problem. I’ve tried everything online and even reinstalled windows but this problem just keeps coming back. Please help....