Windows 10: Disk at 100% when booting up programs

Discus and support Disk at 100% when booting up programs in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Whenever I start a program my disk shoots up to 100%, it goes back down soon after, but that initial spike is effecting overall performance. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ditoo, Aug 15, 2022.

1. ditoo Win User

Disk at 100% when booting up programs

Whenever I start a program my disk shoots up to 100%, it goes back down soon after, but that initial spike is effecting overall performance. For example when I try to open Valorant a game I get hard stuck on 0-1 fps, if I restart the game it works just fine, the spike happens whenever I boot up anything from Opera to checking for an update. I tried everything I could to lower it. They work, but not for the initial spike. What can I do?For reference I tried factory resetting, I tried increasing processing power when plugged in, I tried disabling many things from antimalware stuff to superfetc

:)

ditoo, Aug 15, 2022

2. 100% disk usage on boot up for at least 5 to 10 minutes

Hi there, I did a clean boot as you suggested and the boot up time became considerably longer and although disk usage was 100%, this was only for a minute or so. The program at the top of the disk utilisation list this time though was service host:superfetch.

However I then didn't disable anything in the services tab but disabled all the programs in the startup tab and restarted. This resulted in a very speedy boot up AND there was no 100% disk utilisation. I've done this several times enabling a couple of programs
    on startup and the disk utilisation is no longer 100%.

It appears therefore as though it was some kind of conflict in the startup programs that was causing the 100% disk utilisation.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Colin Smith 18, Aug 15, 2022
  3. Disk working at 100%

Hi everyone,

I recently went through some steps online to be able to start my laptop in clean boot mode so that I can identify the problem why my desktop works 100% but when i started in clean boot mode i am still using 100% of my disk. I really don't know what to suggest. I already tried disabling Super Fetch but it tells me an error code: Error 87: The parameter is wrong.

LynnetteSalter642, Aug 15, 2022
  4. Disk at 100% when booting up programs

High/100% Disk Usage on Win 10

Have you tried a clean boot to determine the cause of the 100% issue? I have not done this yet, but this is the process I am referring to:

Start your device in a clean boot environment, this way we can identify the program that's using up the disk capacity of the drive. To do this, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this support
    article

In the clean boot environment, try to observe if the disk spikes to 100% usage. If not, proceed to the steps under the How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot section
    to pin point and remove the item that's causing the issue. Once you're done, follow the steps under Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot your device normally.

Note: Click the drop-down arrow for Windows 10 to view the appropriate steps.

Billy Dee Williams, Aug 15, 2022
Thema:

Disk at 100% when booting up programs

1. Disk at 100% when booting up programs - Similar Threads - Disk 100% booting

2. Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...: I've had this same problem for a while and tried multiple solutions, however none have seemed to work. Tried disabling Superfetch service and turning off auto windows update, yet still no reduction. Task manager shows that System also takes up a significant amount of disk...
  3. Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...: I've had this same problem for a while and tried multiple solutions, however none have seemed to work. Tried disabling Superfetch service and turning off auto windows update, yet still no reduction. Task manager shows that System also takes up a significant amount of disk...
  4. Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Manager at 100 percent disk usage when installing programs, opening programs or...

6. Disk at 100% when booting up programs

Disk at 100% when booting up programs: Whenever I start a program my disk shoots up to 100%, it goes back down soon after, but that initial spike is effecting overall performance. For example when I try to open Valorant a game I get hard stuck on 0-1 fps, if I restart the game it works just fine, the spike happens...
  7. Disk at 100% when booting up programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk at 100% when booting up programs: Whenever I start a program my disk shoots up to 100%, it goes back down soon after, but that initial spike is effecting overall performance. For example when I try to open Valorant a game I get hard stuck on 0-1 fps, if I restart the game it works just fine, the spike happens...
  8. disk filling up to 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk filling up to 100%: Whenever I open task manager, My disk shows filled up to 100% even if no task is running and I've tried tons of ways over the internet but nothing helped me. Please give me some other way so that I can avoid filling up of disk....
  9. 100% Disk usage after boot up and booting is slow

100% Disk usage after boot up and booting is slow: Hello, I have a 1TB HDD and the problem is the boot-up process is very slow. What I tried: 1. Clean boot 2. Remove unnecessary startup things 3. I ran chkdsk 4. Cleaned big chunks of temp files using CCleaner 5. Defrag the drives. It improves a little bit but just a...
  10. Slow Boot, Disk 100%

Slow Boot, Disk 100%: I installed Windows 10 pro yesterday on my brand new laptop (Acer E5 576G). After using it for several hours I realized that sometime Disk on task bar goes uptup 100% and laptop becomes a little bit sluggish (Highest disk usage service was superfetch - don't know whether it's...