Windows 10: Disk Backup

Discus and support Disk Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a neighbor whos PC needs upgrading. Inside is an older HDD and I want to clone everything over to a new SSD. I have an external enclosure for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StevenZeh, Apr 6, 2020.

1. StevenZeh Win User

Disk Backup

I have a neighbor whos PC needs upgrading. Inside is an older HDD and I want to clone everything over to a new SSD. I have an external enclosure for the drive to connect via USB, but it only has one slot so I have no way of connecting both the SSD and the HDD to my desktop at the same time.

:)

StevenZeh, Apr 6, 2020
  2. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Disk Backup

Backup using file history

Hi Doug,

There are limited options when using backup and restore. We suggest that you create a full backup using Windows 10 system image tool, you need to connect external storage with enough available space. See steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • On the left pane, click the Create a system image link.
    • Under Where do you want to save the backup?, select the
      On a hard disk
      option.
    • Using the "On a hard disk" drop-down menu, select the storage to save the backup.
    • Click the Start backup button.

Note: Once you completed the steps, the wizard will proceed to create a full backup of your system, including everything that is stored on the main drive, as well as the system reserved partition.

Robelene Win, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Disk Backup

1. Disk Backup - Similar Threads - Disk Backup

2. How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?: I bought a new laptop running Win 11 to replace my old laptop running Win 10. I would like to create a complete backup of everything on the old Win 10 system on a USB drive. Then I want to be able to "mount" the USB drive on Win 11 and access the files and folders using...
  3. How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?: I bought a new laptop running Win 11 to replace my old laptop running Win 10. I would like to create a complete backup of everything on the old Win 10 system on a USB drive. Then I want to be able to "mount" the USB drive on Win 11 and access the files and folders using...
  4. How can I create a complete disk image backup in Win 10 that I can access in Win 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected": Hello, I want to upgrade an old pc cloning the HDD with Win 7 license into an SSD, and then install Win 10. To do so, I would like to do a backup first, but in "Backup and restore" section the Backup option is not available. The internal disk results disconnected and I do not...
  6. Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected"

Cannot backup my internal disk, it is "disconnected": Hello, I want to upgrade an old pc cloning the HDD with Win 7 license into an SSD, and then install Win 10. To do so, I would like to do a backup first, but in "Backup and restore" section the Backup option is not available. The internal disk results disconnected and I do not...
  7. Trying to save files to backup disk, but window pop up says I do not have admin rights to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to save files to backup disk, but window pop up says I do not have admin rights to...: How have I lost admin rights when I am only user and admin by default. I am attempting to transfer files for backup on a portable WD Passport. I have been able to in the past, but something must have been lost in a Windows update. My system still tells me I am Admin....
  8. Trying to save files to backup disk, but window pop up says I do not have admin rights to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to save files to backup disk, but window pop up says I do not have admin rights to...: How have I lost admin rights when I am only user and admin by default. I am attempting to transfer files for backup on a portable WD Passport. I have been able to in the past, but something must have been lost in a Windows update. My system still tells me I am Admin....
  9. Trying to save files to backup disk, but window pop up says I do not have admin rights to...

10. Remove backup files from C disk in Windows 11 impossible

Remove backup files from C disk in Windows 11 impossible: Probably the back-ups are made through auto back up on the c-disk. They will not be removed by disk clean up. How can they be removed? Auto back up is stopped....