Windows 10: Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume

Discus and support Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear MS Community Members, My disk capacity disappeared 150GB after I shrink 150GB of space from my E: drive. Pls refer to the picture attached,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZeonXu, Apr 9, 2021.

1. ZeonXu Win User

Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume

Dear MS Community Members,

My disk capacity disappeared 150GB after I shrink 150GB of space from my E: drive.

Pls refer to the picture attached, in Computer Management, you can easily see the 150GB differences in the E: drive.

The explorer also showed 433GB only.

I tried to fix it by running "sfc/scannow", it didn't detect any error.

Also, I tried running the "chkdsk E: /f /r" command, it still cannot fix it.

Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume fa474b08-6754-418b-ba72-d41a561c1877?upload=true.png

Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume d0513e89-c577-4787-b340-dd096b252d57?upload=true.png

:)

ZeonXu, Apr 9, 2021

2. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Apr 9, 2021
  3. mgreen10 Win User
    SHRINK C VOLUME TO SMALLER CAPACITY

I have the same issue. I have a brand new HP Envy 17t laptop and have put no files or apps on it. I tried to use Disk Management to shrink the C: system volume but it would only allow 50% shrink. I moved the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to another physical
    drive, E:, but this made no difference. I can still only shrink the C: volume to 50%.

Perhaps the only solution is to use a third-party partition editor like easeus or mini Partition Editor.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!

mgreen10, Apr 9, 2021
  4. trbogt Win User

SHRINK C VOLUME TO SMALLER CAPACITY

Q1. Shrinking the disk volume will not affect any reset or system restore points...if it does you can simply create another 'Restore point' after the shrink procedure...and no data will be lost or changed.

Q2. You can shrink the volume to what ever you want and do not need any other software...you can change the size using the drop down box>

*'Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB'

Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume 730fc62d-50de-42c7-a0d9-022606b35a85.png

hope this helps.*john

trbogt, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume - Similar Threads - Disk capacity lost

2. i deleted a volum on my disk and lost storage capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i deleted a volum on my disk and lost storage capacity: i do not know how or why it hapend and not eaven the comand promt can see that it is suposed to be more storage .what hapend was i had maid a windows startup drive for my friend who had to instal windows. it worked and when i got home i whanted to use the driv for somthing...
  3. i deleted a volum on my disk and lost storage capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i deleted a volum on my disk and lost storage capacity: i do not know how or why it hapend and not eaven the comand promt can see that it is suposed to be more storage .what hapend was i had maid a windows startup drive for my friend who had to instal windows. it worked and when i got home i whanted to use the driv for somthing...
  4. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  5. cant shrink volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant shrink volume: got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party software but they all require a lisence. is there any way to fix this problem without paying for 3rd party software?...
  6. Unable to find unallocated disk space after shrinking volume.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to find unallocated disk space after shrinking volume.: Alright, I've never posted here so forgive me if this is kind of a mess lol, I was trying to shrink my Windows (C:) so I could make a separate partition, I didn't exactly know what I was doing at the time so I think I ended up shrinking quite a bit of it, but I'm not sure...
  7. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  8. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...
  9. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...
  10. shrinking volume with OS on it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...