Windows 10: Disk Checking at Startup

Discus and support Disk Checking at Startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I have been using Windows 10 for a while now with no issues, I currently have three HDD's installed in the PC, one that's used to boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zonic01, Dec 30, 2015.

1. zonic01 Win User

Disk Checking at Startup

Hi Guys,

I have been using Windows 10 for a while now with no issues, I currently have three HDD's installed in the PC, one that's used to boot windows, a secondary 250GB for extra storage and a 1TB drive to store\stream movies from.

I was aware my 1TB HDD was not 100% as it came out of a faulty NAS drive, but after a full format it worked perfectly for over a year with Windows 7, but after the 10 upgrade it would completely disappear after a certain period of time, this was resolved by changing the power options to stop Windows turning off the disk.

Now i'm faced with Windows trying to perform a repair on the hard drive at boot, which takes ages to complete and boot windows, then after a restart it does the same which is frustrating.

Question is how do i turn off this disk checking feature in Windows 10?

For the mean time i have unplugged the HDD and all is working as normal, but obviously i would like to be able to use it and use other software to check the disk.

Thanks in advance!

:)

zonic01, Dec 30, 2015
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

how to stop scan disk checking at win 10 startup?

Hi Yuki,

To better assist you, we'd like to know if you have rebooted your computer after running the command and receiving the message 'The type of the file system is NTFS'.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Dec 30, 2015
  3. how to stop scan disk checking at win 10 startup?

I see...yes, it didn't stop it from running at startup. I restarted my laptop later to see I just needed to wait, but nothing changed.

YukiTsubaki, Dec 30, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Disk Checking at Startup

RE : Now i'm faced with Windows trying to perform a repair on the hard drive at boot. Question is how do i turn off this disk checking feature in Windows 10?

Suggestion only :
    It works in Win 8/8.1. I am relatively certain it will work in Win 10, but I cannot vouch for it. I have never tried it on my Win 10 machines.

To turn off disk check at start up.............................
    Open elevated command prompt > type chkntfs /x c:

Note : c: is the drive letter.

davidhk, Dec 30, 2015
Thema:

Disk Checking at Startup

1. Disk Checking at Startup - Similar Threads - Disk Checking Startup

2. check disk on startup - windows 10 on desktop pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    check disk on startup - windows 10 on desktop pc: I have a desktop PC with windows 10 and since some time it asks me to perform disk check at every startup. If I let it proceed nothing happens and windows loads normally. I checked the disk (a Samsung SSD) with the producer software (Samsung magician) and the SMART report...
  3. How to stop disk check on startup windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to stop disk check on startup windows 10: Hello everyone! Sometimes a Windows computer runs a disk check on startup. It happens every now and then on every computer, but for some people it happens every time they start their computer up. When it shows up, you have 8 seconds to skip it by pressing any keyboard key,...
  4. disk check

disk check: I just started my pc and it checked drive c: automatically why so? without any reason https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-check/5d1a3dcb-7911-4e3d-a643-1c47614a03bf
  5. check disk for errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    check disk for errors: I recently made changes to my computer how do I check and repair disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/check-disk-for-errors/9617a391-7a5a-4ae5-b6af-57ce75e0e0d7
  6. Check Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Check Disk: My backup has failed and I have been advised to run Check Disc. How do I do this - I am using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/check-disk/3167d58e-97b4-438e-81d0-9789d99ec8a0
  7. CRTITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED on startup disk check at 0%

CRTITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED on startup disk check at 0%: Problem: Windows 10 needed to check my C (OS) drive for errors, so it scheduled a check and restarted. Upon boot, it went to the disk checking screen (showing the Windows logo and spinning dots), got to 0% and then immediately crashed with a CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED BSOD. This...
  8. Windows 10 Scheduled Disk Check Won't Run on system startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Scheduled Disk Check Won't Run on system startup: Hi there im having problem with my windows 10 Pro 64 bit I get a notification to restart my computer to repair disk errors every time I restart my system it fails to run disk repair. So I run a check disk scan first, Run as Administrator command by typing chkdsk C: /scan with...
  9. check disk problem

in Windows 10 Support
    check disk problem: I have an HP P7-1010 pc on which I installed a 2nd HDD to run Windows 10 beta. Installation went fine and I am using the boot manager to boot between the new drive with windows 10 and my old drive with windows 7. On the 2nd boot to windows 7 I get the message that windows has...
  10. Windows 10 skips disk checking on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 skips disk checking on startup: So when my computer starts up it says "Disk checking to skip press any key within 8 seconds" and then it turns black for a second then says it again. Then it goes to the lock screen. How do I make it so that it doesn't skip the disk checking? 59809