Windows 10: Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives

Discus and support Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.18363 I have a 4tb drive with over 576gb in the recycle bin according to treesize free. Disc clean up won't empty it. all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mpooley, Mar 12, 2020.

1. mpooley Win User

Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives

Windows 10 pro
    Version 10.0.18363

I have a 4tb drive with over 576gb in the recycle bin according to treesize free.
    Disc clean up won't empty it. all the rest of the drives have nothing in the recycle bin but can't get rid of this one.
    Really need that space!

I tried deleting some other large files and tree size added them to the figure in the bin so I tried disc clean again and it seemed to work but only the new ones got removed the 576gb is still there.

Oh and BTW the 576gb is really there ,as I calculated it from how much windows is telling me I have free on the drive.

would really appreciate some advice

thanks

Mike

:)

mpooley, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    RECYCLE BIN automatically closes & returns to Desktop

Hi,

You might be experiencing this issue because Recycle Bin is corrupted. If your Recycle Bin is corrupted, you can face various problems when using it such as this behavior. Let's repair Recycle Bin by

using the System File Checker tool
    . This tool scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores corrupted files.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you manually delete the Recycle Bin folder on your computer. Each drive on Windows has a hidden and protected system folder named
    $Recycle.bin. When you delete files or folders, they are moved to the Recycle Bin folder for holding. If you delete the Recycle Bin folder, Windows will automatically create a new
    $Recycle.bin folder. However, all previous contents of Recycle Bin will be lost. Make sure to only do this step if you don't have any valuable data in Recycle Bin. Here are the steps:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Command Prompt, right-click Command Prompt from the results, and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin, and press Enter.
    • If you are using multiple drives or partition, you will have to do this for every partition on your hard disk by replacing C with the corresponding drive letter.
    • Restart your computer, and Windows will recreate a new Recycle Bin for you.

Keep us updated with the results, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives

Snippet Tool + Recycle Bin

Hello Phillip,

I understand your concern, I suggest you to follow the given steps.

• Right-click desktop and personalize.

• Choose Themes.

• Desktop Icon Settings.

• Check the "recycle bin" box.

If that doesn't help I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + R and type "gpedit.msc".

• Navigate to User Configuration" - "Administrative Templates" - "Desktop".

• In the right pane Double-click "Remove Recycle Bin icon from desktop".

• Check if it is enabled/disabled. If it is enable I suggest you to disable it and check if it helps.

Registry disclaimer

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives

1. Disk Clean up tool does not empty recycle bin on one of my drives - Similar Threads - Disk Clean tool

2. my recycle bin is empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my recycle bin is empty: Haven't looked at my recycle bin for a long while, but today wanted to retrieve a file I had just deleted. I found my recycle bin empty. I tried the "hidden file" scenario, no, they were not hidden files. Looked at the settings. Did not have automatic delete marked.*Moved...
  3. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  4. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  5. recycle bin empty

recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  6. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  7. Recycle bin not emptying

Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  8. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  9. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...
  10. After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty

in Windows 10 Support
    After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty: Hello, The title says it all, my desktop does not refresh automatically. Does this look familiar ? grtz, 101036