Windows 10: Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004...

Discus and support Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since installing Windows 10 2004, and after also installing KB4565627, my disk cleanup and defragment/optimization tools no longer work properly. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by poe.a, Jul 14, 2020.

1. poe.a Win User

Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004...

Since installing Windows 10 2004, and after also installing KB4565627, my disk cleanup and defragment/optimization tools no longer work properly. After running disk cleanup and restarting, when run again, the tool still shows data to be cleaned from Windows Update Cleanup, Temporary Files and Thumbnails of the same exact size as before. After running defragment/optimization and restarting, the tool shows that my SSD has "never been optimized" which is 100% incorrect and has never been an issue before.

I have already tried to resolve the issues by doing the following:

1. Running an SFC scan. It returned no found issues.

2. Deleting temporary files and restarting. The above issues persisted.

3. Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It returned no found issues.

Has anyone else encountered this issue following these Windows 10 updates? If so, have you been able to resolve them and if you did, how?

Thank you.

:)

poe.a, Jul 14, 2020

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 14, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows Disk Cleanup tool

Hi Sam

Yes, it is totally safe to remove anything suggested by that Disk Cleanup tool, you must run that twice as explained below to totally clean your drive.

Yes, most likely when the next feature update is installed (most likely in April) then it would be best to clean your system again after that . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Jul 14, 2020
  4. HEM
    HeM Win User

Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004...

Disk Cleanup not working in 2004 (19041.207)

Hi,

This is what I'm getting :

Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004... [​IMG]

It seems that 'StartComponentCleanup' doesn't work here too. I didn't notice that cause I used Cleanmng+.
    Disk Cleanup could not find/remove leftovers but Cleanmng+ did it.
    I don't remember how much space it freed up, but it certainly did.

Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004... - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Deframent

2. Disk Cleanup not working properly in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup not working properly in Windows 10: Disk Cleanup is an inbuilt utility tool in Windows 10 that enables you to erase useless and junk files from your PC. It is a handy tool that helps you clean up disk space and use the computer in a smooth and stable environment. However, some Windows 10 users have experienced...
  3. [Help] Disk cleanup doesn't work and uses 100% disk since Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] Disk cleanup doesn't work and uses 100% disk since Windows 10 2004: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 to the 2004 version, and when I open disk cleanup and click on "clean up system files", nothing happens after I select my disk... When I look on "task manager", I see a 100% disk usage by "system", and it doesn't stop until I close disk cleanup...
  4. Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup and Deframent Tools No Longer Working Properly Since Windows 10 Version 2004...: Since installing Windows 10 2004, and after also installing KB4565627, my disk cleanup and defragment/optimization tools no longer work properly. After running disk cleanup and restarting, when run again, the tool still shows data to be cleaned from Windows Update Cleanup,...
  5. Disk Cleanup Not Working Properly After 2004 Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup Not Working Properly After 2004 Update: Ever since the new 2004 update, my disk cleanup isn't working properly anymore. The basic cleanup works fine, but when I select the clean system files which requires admin or something, it just closes and nothing else happens. Has this happened to anyone else? submitted by...
  6. Disk Cleanup not working in 2004 (19041.207)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not working in 2004 (19041.207): Disk Cleanup acts like it is working, but it deletes nothing. I know of no other utility that removes some protected files (like Windows Update leftovers). I have attempted a fix using SFC and DISM. No go. Does anyone have any fixes or work-arounds? 154450
  7. Windows Disk Cleanup tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Cleanup tool: So I recently used the utility disk cleanup tool to free up some space on my laptop. From research online I assumed it was safe to delete the Windows Update Cleanup Files that were taking up about 3 gb of space. First of all when I cleared it, it only freed up about 1 gb of...
  8. Windows Disk Cleanup Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Disk Cleanup Tool: A computer tech told me the Windows Disk Cleanup tool should not be run every day because it causes the read/write heads to work too much and may wear them out. I like to run it every day and wonder what others think? Thanks for any reply, particularly looking for someone...
  9. Windows 10 Pro & Windows Administration Tools,Disk cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro & Windows Administration Tools,Disk cleanup: Running on windows 10 Pro. & two 222 GB Western Digital SSD Drive (C:) saw full and giving me problems with my Punch! ViaCAD 2D/3D version 10 software. so I right clicked on Startup & clicked on Windows Administration Tools > disk cleanup & Selected the drive I want to...
  10. Disk cleanup tools that cleanup more than 10Gb

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk cleanup tools that cleanup more than 10Gb: Hi, I am running low on space on my computer and I want to get rid of some stuff. However, the disk cleanup tools that I've tried will only get rid of 100Mb. Any suggestions? 77753