Windows 10: Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

Discus and support Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; did alittle more digging... in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by stevie, Apr 4, 2018.

1. stevie Win User

Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

did alittle more digging...

in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files

what does the defualt key to?
    the original is 0B2C35D2-C8BC-4470-BFC0-D6BB1235E5CE
    i changed it to C0E13E61-0CC6-11d1-BBB6-0060978B2AE6

that works but i just wanna be sure...can SOMEONE else Test this?
    I dont think this thread is UNSOLVEABLE LOL!!

THANK YOU!

stevie, Apr 4, 2018
  2. stevie Win User

Hey guys,

when i run the disk cleanup the "temporary files" always shows up with 4mb...i have checke every folder that might contain these files but its over a week it always shows up with that..
    i have ccleaner and other tools butno matter what it shows up with that..

see attachment

the only way it goes to 0 is if i modify the registry and put the number of days to something later like 14 ....doesnt
    make sense..

Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files [​IMG]

:)

stevie, Apr 15, 2018
  3. Vraesque Win User
    Windows 10 Disk Cleanup doesn't remove Temporary internet files

Hello everyone,

I'm using Disk Cleanup to regain some of the space once in a while, but now I noticed that no matter how many times I run Disk Cleanup temporary internet files just won't disappear . Now it uses 4.3 GB of my hard drive and with every week this number increases.
    Is Disk Cleanup working properly or this just a visual bug?, because Temporary Internet Files folder is empty yet my hard drive space decreases.

Thank you for attention

Vraesque, Apr 15, 2018
  4. Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

How to delete Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files?

Original title: Disk Cleanup

When I run Disk Cleanup The Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files do not delete.

Is there a solution to this?

Wes

WesPleshko, Apr 15, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    I use Windows Key + R and type %temp% to check the contents of the Folder. When using Select All then Delete there's ALWAYS a few files that are in use and cannot be deleted from within Windows. Sometimes rebooting to assure no programs are running or booting into Safe Mode will shorten the list.

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
  6. stevie Win User
    thanks for the reply but i think its abit deeper than that...
    windows temp
    appdata temp
    system32 log files

all are cleared with no files in them....ive tried safe mode but same thing,

stevie, Apr 15, 2018
  7. stevie Win User
    this has to be a bug...
    i also completely deleted the appdata temp folder itself along with the windows temp folder and system32 log files folder.
    completely erased and dick cleanup still showing the above post...

stevie, Apr 15, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

Still may not be a bug if you have not changed the View settings to show all System files, default is to hide most and a Folder could show empty at the same time as showing data as to how much capacity is in use.

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
  9. stevie Win User
    Yes the view is to show all hidden and system files.. as I mentioned I even deleted the directories completely.

stevie, Apr 15, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Windows creates temporary files all the time. Those cannot be deleted if the OS is using them. In the end, 4MB is absolutely tiny in the scheme of things, and not worth worrying about. If it was say 400 MB, further examination might be justified but for 4 MB - forget it

cereberus, Apr 17, 2018
  11. stevie Win User
    For sure and your absolutely correct. Just weird
    I looked further into it
    Inside the registry
    Theirs a path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

In their theirs a key called temporary files
    Even after modifying the paths it stays at 4mb... just funny how modifying the paths doesn’t change it to 0, it’s weird
    The paths say windows temp, windows logs, appdata temp and system32 log files.... if I remove them one by one and keep only appdata temp or windows temp it still says 4mb... this is super weird

stevie, Apr 17, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Don't know why I didn't mention this sooner, but one tool that does a really great job with temp files that aren't locked is Josh Cell Software's Uncleaner. You might want to try it out and see if it can recover some of that stuff. But in general, I agree with other posters here who assert that (a) 4 MB isn't really much cause for concern, and (b) that Disk Cleanup doesn't always report temp file disk space consumption entirely accurately.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 17, 2018
  13. stevie Win User

Hey thanks! I’ll give it a shot, does this see files that the directories doesn’t show?

stevie, Apr 17, 2018
  14. stevie Win User
    hey, so i tried it and same thing lol....im starting to think its a registry key...

stevie, Apr 17, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    It's definitely something, all right. Sorry you haven't been able to make them disappear. Most likely, they are locked by some process or another and can't be removed for that reason.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Bug

2. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.: My BitDefender antivirus detected and quarantined malware, but I wanted to take proper measures and delete all temporary files and restore points. That is when this problem happened. Disk Cleanup is showing that I have 8.41 GB of temporary files but does not delete them at...
  3. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.: My BitDefender antivirus detected and quarantined malware, but I wanted to take proper measures and delete all temporary files and restore points. That is when this problem happened. Disk Cleanup is showing that I have 8.41 GB of temporary files but does not delete them at...
  4. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Disk Cleanup showing no amount of temporary files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Cleanup showing no amount of temporary files?: I recently reverted the temporary file location from a secondary drive back onto my main drive. Issue is, windows 10 storage settings and Disk Cleanup isn’t showing me any amount of temporary files anymore.. Does it only show after a set amount of days? I downloaded...
  6. unlock temporary files in disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unlock temporary files in disk cleanup: I have tried everything in about 30 pages of help and I cannot unlock the file to delete it. Thanks in advance charlie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unlock-temporary-files-in-disk-cleanup/8a176a71-939f-4cb6-8926-ed3edf35d2fa"
  7. issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803: Hi Microsoft: I reinstalled my Windows because previously, when I go to disk cleanup to cleanup files, I noticed that the temporary files will not cleanup. I tried it in the new user account by the same issue. It didn't happen in 1703 or 1709. It happened before in the...
  8. Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files: Hi All Temporary Internet files show data in the folder according to disk cleanup, so far ran ccleaner, then ran diskcleanup again a week later, and seems like more data in that folder on my SSD, and i'm like what the heck, I cleared the temp folder manually, clear...
  9. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...
  10. disk cleanup bug??

disk cleanup bug??: Disk cleanup says it can free up to 4 TB of space on my 120GB C: drive, after a update. WTF!!! Even adding the 2TB HDD and another 120 GB SSD (which is 60 GB partitioned) which are far from full, this doesn't make any sense. Is this some weird bug in Disk Cleanup...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk cleanup temporary files bug

2. disk cleanup temporary internet files windows 10

3. why does disk cleanup always show 3mb in tempory internet files and 3.07mb in downloads folder no matter how many times it is run?