Windows 10: Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

Discus and support Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Attempt to launch `cleanmgr` on the C:\ drive. Use the button `Clean up system files` to compute how to remove the `$WINDOWS.~BT` folder. There is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wowthank, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

Attempt to launch `cleanmgr` on the C:\ drive. Use the button `Clean up system files` to compute how to remove the `$WINDOWS.~BT` folder. There is no option in the `Files to delete:` section about removing the folder.

How do I recover this space?

Running the `cleanmgr` as an administrator only has the effect of removing the button `Clean up system files` -- there is no option for removing the windows update folder, there is no option called "Windows Update Cleanup", no option for "remove old system installation files", and there is no option for removing previous versions of windows.

The C:\$WINDOWS.~BT folder is 14.1 GB

Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS build 17763.805

submitted by /u/wowthank
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wowthank, Nov 1, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 1, 2019
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Nov 1, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

1. Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup doesn't

2. Disk cleanup doesn't work on Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk cleanup doesn't work on Windows 8.1: When I am trying to clean the 2.53 GB of old "Windows Updates" by pressing "OK" inand then re-open the clean up window, all those old updates are still there. I ranDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthsfc /scannowDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStorehere I...
  3. Disk cleanup doesn't work on Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk cleanup doesn't work on Windows 8.1: When I am trying to clean the 2.53 GB of old "Windows Updates" by pressing "OK" inand then re-open the clean up window, all those old updates are still there. I ranDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthsfc /scannowDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStorehere I...
  4. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup doesn't work as it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup doesn't work as it should: Hi!I've recently come across a problem where Windows 11's Disk Cleanup does not do the 'Windows Update Cleanup' completely. I'm left with 373 MB that won't get deleted no matter how many times I try to run the Disk Cleanup with restarts in between.I'd appreciate a solution...
  5. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup doesn't work as it should

Windows 11 Disk Cleanup doesn't work as it should: Hi!I've recently come across a problem where Windows 11's Disk Cleanup does not do the 'Windows Update Cleanup' completely. I'm left with 373 MB that won't get deleted no matter how many times I try to run the Disk Cleanup with restarts in between.I'd appreciate a solution...
  6. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  7. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  8. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  9. $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.: The $windows.~bt folder has never been a problem but after an inplace upgrade to cure a failed update this week, the folder and 16 gigs of data would not delete! All the techs are telling me it is an essential part of the OS. But unless something changed in the terrible...
  10. Can't delete $WINDOWS~.BT folder (disk cleanup won't help)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete $WINDOWS~.BT folder (disk cleanup won't help): Hello, I've that $WINDOWS~.BT which doesn't seems to be auto deleted by Windows 10. There is no "Previous Windows installation" entry in Disk Cleanup utility for that disk. Can't delete most of it manually due to "Folder access denied" error message. What can I do next?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cleanup system files won`t remove $windows bt files