Windows 10: Disk Cleanup freezes randomly

Discus and support Disk Cleanup freezes randomly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi folks, Since I updated to Fall Creators Update, I noticed that very often Disk Cleanup just freezes before complete. This is happening either on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ivan Petrov, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Disk Cleanup freezes randomly

Hi folks,

Since I updated to Fall Creators Update, I noticed that very often Disk Cleanup just freezes before complete. This is happening either on windows defender or windows error reporting files phases. At this moment when I click somewhere on desktop, the frozen cleanup window disappear.
    Cannot find info on Google even there are similar problems with Windows Update cleaning within Disk Cleanup.
    I have done already 3 clean installs this month but the result is the same. SFC, DISM also report no errors and coruptions.

Is it possible this utility to be in conflict with CCleaner somehow?

Please help me to solve this thing, it's bothering me a lot... thanks.

Disk Cleanup freezes randomly [​IMG]

:)

Ivan Petrov, Nov 22, 2017

2. im getting this following error need help please!

i didn't delete any folders, it just start coming up randomly. I'm using windows defender , and im going to use disk cleanup and see what happens, ms safely scanner wat is it?

disk cleanup didn't help it still gives me the error, dont wanna detele something from my C drive that idk wat is it.

ScreamToDie, Nov 22, 2017
  3. pri2003 Win User
    (SOLVED) System freezes and then it takes forever to start up again

Hi,

I was mistaken.

I happened again and I have tried your other methods and they don't seem to work.

My disk still randomly freezes because of system and compressed memory.

pri2003, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Disk Cleanup freezes randomly

I'm afraid I haven't an answer but would just say that the first run of Disk Cleanup (and particularly after a major update) can take quite some time to complete. In the past I have known it take 30 to 40 minutes on some occasions. Also, I always run disk clean with no other operations taking place.

If you leave it, does it complete normally ?

Mooly, Nov 22, 2017
    Ivan Petrov, Nov 22, 2017
  6. BRKKAB Win User
    No, this is a obvious bug in Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creators Update).
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on each of my 2 pc's the day Microsoft released it in October.
    Disk Cleanup has issues on both pc's.
    One pc has a ssd and a hdd.
    This pc has 2 ssd's (non-raided) and a hdd.

Disk Cleanup freezeds on either deleting temporary files or emptying the already empty recycle bin on each drive on both pc's.
    If I move the mouse the window disappeara.
    Thus, a obvious Fall Creators Update bug.
    Especially considering I don't keep any junk on my pc's and clean the ssd's and hdd's numerous times a day.

BRKKAB, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Thank you @BRKKAB , I feel better now, hopefully this bug will be removed one day. Another clean install yesterday and the issue is still there. Have to wait...

Ivan Petrov, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Disk Cleanup freezes randomly

Same thing happens to me randomly. Once I see that it has frozen, I click another part of the screen and the window disappears.

stealth2920, Nov 24, 2017
  9. BRKKAB Win User
    I just personally found another bug in FCU's Disk Cleanup last night.
    I use Bitdefender Total Security 2018 on my pc and it has Disk Cleanup capabilities in it.
    I don't usually use that part of it, so I decided to check it out last night.
    Apparently it found over 2GBs. of files in each Recycle Bin. I removed them with Total Security 2018.
    Disk Cleanup in FCU is obviously not worth using now, as it obviously does nothing.

I usually type temp, %temp% and prefetch in the search box, before I run disk cleanup daily, so that's obviously all that works in Windows 10 1709.
    I go overboard on keeping my ssd's and hdd's clean.
    I run those 3 listed above, then Disk Cleanup's 2 versions, then cleanmgr/ sagerun, then CCleaner, then Bitdefender Total Security 2018's OneClick Optimizer and then a full run of System Mechanic Standard once a day.
    After closing any web browser, Mail app, etc. I do a quick run with CCleaner.
    From what I heard yesterday all Bitdefender software is supposed to be 80% off right now. I've been using Bitdefender for 6 year's now and they've never let me down.
    The 80% off deal is definitely worth checking out for security.

BRKKAB, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disk Cleanup freezes randomly

1. Disk Cleanup freezes randomly - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup freezes

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: Why does the Disk Cleanup still exist on Windows 10/Server 2022/11? Like no one uses it.sorry for selecting something differewnt on the sub-topics, it did not giive me the disk cleanup....
  3. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  4. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup: Is it safe to delete the ff using disk cleanup: 1. Windows Update Cleanup 2. Delivery Optimization files 3. DirectX Shader Cache 4. Device driver package And I also notice in More options: 1. System restore and Shadow copies If yes, can you please explain it briefly...
  5. Disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk cleanup: Hi so I did my first disk clean up I think it’s called and in that included a downloads as well as other stuff. Could I have deleted something important or is it junk? submitted by /u/Mondo_dook65 [link] [comments]...
  6. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  7. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  8. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  9. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  10. Disk Cleanup Freezes - Help!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup Freezes - Help!: Every time I run disk cleanup to cleanup system files it freezes. How do i fix this? 130923

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disc cleanup freezes windows 10