Windows 10: Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates

Discus and support Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to free up space running disk cleanup to remove downloaded updates. When I started cleaning I had 16 GB availible on my hard drive. Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rock239, May 6, 2019.

1. Rock239 Win User

Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates

I'm trying to free up space running disk cleanup to remove downloaded updates. When I started cleaning I had 16 GB availible on my hard drive. Disk Cleanup found over 6.5 GB worth of Windows Updates. When Disk Cleanup finished running I checked my available space and it was still 16 GB. Running Disk Cleanup again to clean files it didn't find any Windows Update files to remove. It seems like that space is gone and I cannot get it back. Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Rock239, May 6, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 6, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, May 6, 2019
  4. CC_689 Win User

Windows Disk Cleanup

Disk Cleanup reports "you can use Disk Cleanup to free up to 4.00 TB of disk space on (CDisk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates :)".

The bulk of this is listed as "Windows Update Cleanup 3.99 TB"

The trouble is that drive C is a 100 GB partition on a 250 GB SSD.

Settings, System, Storage shows:

C: 37.7 GB used out of 97.5 GB

D: 41.4 GB used out of 140 GB

The OS is Windows 10 Home, version 1607, fully updated to March 16, 2017.

There is not even 1 TB of disk space so how can Disk Cleanup free up to 4.00 TB?

Is it safe to run Disk Cleanup in this situation?

Thanks for any advice!

CC_689, May 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Freeing

2. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Step 2: Clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies Step 3: Clean up Temporary files Step 4: Check for...
  3. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space From the original post here: https://huntertran.com/2020/11/23/disk-cleanup-to-free-disk-space/ Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Type...
  4. Windows update cleanup doesn't free up any disk space on my win10 labtop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update cleanup doesn't free up any disk space on my win10 labtop: I settings -> system -> storage -> free up space now. It said that there are 7.3 GB of "Windows Update Cleanup". I then clicked "Remove files" in hope to free up some space. Immediately after the cleanup finished, I check the free disk space, and supprisely found that it...
  5. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues: I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned...
  9. Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk cleanup selection in order to free space: Hi I need to free space on my C: drive because right now I have only 27 GB of free space. I would like to know : 1) Do you recommend to select "compress your OS drive" in the Disk Cleanup in order to free space, and what are the consequences of doing that? 2) Is it safe...
  10. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...