Windows 10: disk cleanup out of order?

Discus and support disk cleanup out of order? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After disk cleanup ran once, files which can be cleaned, seems to increase. And after many runs, files are not completely removed. Is this out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by electron100, Jul 23, 2017.

1. disk cleanup out of order?

After disk cleanup ran once, files which can be cleaned, seems to increase.
    And after many runs, files are not completely removed.
    Is this out of order?

disk cleanup out of order? [​IMG]

:)

electron100, Jul 23, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Disk cleanup

CleanMgr has some basic rules for some of your temp files - need to be older than x days before it would delete some. Plus files that are currently in use it wont delete.

That does seem like an extreme amount of temp files. I would go find where those are located and figure out why so many.

Those few bytes in Temp Internet files are probably just space used by empty dat files and windows default browser things.

You might want to do a web search of disabling prefetch. Prefetch takes about 6 fresh boots to populate, so you might as well disable it. Although I dont why you want to delete those.

You might be interested > Disk Cleanup Cleanmgr Command Line Arguments in Windows 10

'Mike P, Jul 23, 2017
  3. disk cleanup

Using disk cleanup including previous versions is completely safe to use.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 23, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

disk cleanup out of order?

The state of your PC will change between running each instance of Disk Cleanup. I wouldn't worry about the trivial amount of storage reported.

Steve C, Jul 23, 2017
  5. otisdog Win User
    There's something not right in the disk cleanup sector. It shows that my temp internet files keep increasing even after cleaning.
    Look at the before and after pics. It's been doing this for quite a while. That 22 gigs will grow.
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 23, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you using a browser other than Edge or Internet Explorer? I believe the Microsoft/Windows disk cleanup tool only deletes the temporary internet files from the Microsoft browsers and not from other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Jul 24, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

If Edge is open, there will be a lot of locked files.

To delete files in the Temporary Internet Files folder (or cache) in Microsoft Edge, follow the steps below:

• Open your Microsoft Edge browser.
    • Click on the More Actions menu with three dots, then select Settings.
    • Below Clear Browsing Data, click Choose what to clear.
    • Select the data that you want to delete.
    • Click Clear.

Also, as an alternative to Disk Cleanup, try the command line version, as Admin:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. disk cleanup out of order? - Similar Threads - disk cleanup order

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: Why does the Disk Cleanup still exist on Windows 10/Server 2022/11? Like no one uses it.sorry for selecting something differewnt on the sub-topics, it did not giive me the disk cleanup....
  3. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  4. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup: Is it safe to delete the ff using disk cleanup: 1. Windows Update Cleanup 2. Delivery Optimization files 3. DirectX Shader Cache 4. Device driver package And I also notice in More options: 1. System restore and Shadow copies If yes, can you please explain it briefly...
  5. Disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk cleanup: Hi so I did my first disk clean up I think it’s called and in that included a downloads as well as other stuff. Could I have deleted something important or is it junk? submitted by /u/Mondo_dook65 [link] [comments]...
  6. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  7. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  8. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  9. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  10. Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk cleanup selection in order to free space: Hi I need to free space on my C: drive because right now I have only 27 GB of free space. I would like to know : 1) Do you recommend to select "compress your OS drive" in the Disk Cleanup in order to free space, and what are the consequences of doing that? 2) Is it safe...